• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jesper Fast: Deal or No Deal?

don't make my Fast jersey worthless

he's playing higher up in the lineup than he should be but he's a very good bottom 6 player, who can step up the lineup in a pinch and is a hard working player who kills penalties and has shown he can step up big in playoffs. He wears an 'A' for a reason.

no real reason to get rid of him. If some team wants to offer a 2nd rounder and a good prospect for him, fine, but I doubt we're getting that for him.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't make my Fast jersey worthless

he's playing higher up in the lineup than he should be but he's a very good bottom 6 player, who can step up the lineup in a pinch and is a hard working player who kills penalties and has shown he can step up big in playoffs. He wears an 'A' for a reason.

no real reason to get rid of him. If some team wants to offer a 2nd rounder and a good prospect for him, fine, but I doubt we're getting that for him.

A second rounder alone would be a no brainer. Stop getting 4th liner's jerseys!

Based on? He's been the recipient of the Players Player award as voted by his teammates for the last four seasons. Coaches trust him in all situations. No one is making him out to be more than what he is. He's just a consistently effective role player.

Based on what? He doesn't contribute many points but he's absolutely a fantstic forechecker and is probably the best defensive forward on the team not named Zibanejad.

One of them is expected to be a scorer on the team while the other is a role player who the coach is playing up. The expectations for Fast and Kreider aren't remotely the same. As mentioned by Pete, Fast also isn't expected to be asking for significant dollars like Kreider.

Please explain Kreider being the cause of Zib's breakout. Don't know what points towards that.

Kakko has been moved up. It hasn't worked so that's just wrong. Lettieri just shoots hard and misses a bunch. There's more to being an effective linemate than hypothetically being able to produce offense.

Uggh with the players player award. Half the teams he was on when he won the award, were skeleton teams of bottom feeding shit. Are we seriously going to call that an achievement? Coaches trust him because the other options have been Greg Mckegg, Connor Brickley, Cody McLeod, Paul Carey, Adam Cracknell, Marek Hrivik, Josh Jooris and Brandon Pirri.... Who else were they going to trust????

He doesn't make any line better. He isn't a focal point on offense. He doesn't raise anyone's game. Good fore checker? That's his resume. That and an ok defensive forward. Congrats, heva less talented Nicklas Sundstrom.. Did the Rangers miss him when he left, or did he fade into obscurity?

I guess it was just coincidence that Zib took that big step forward to becoming a legit top line center pretty much last season when paired with Kreider and Buch. People were pretty like warm on Zib his first year or two. Pretty much a 20 point spike the year he was put with Kreider.

He didn't look all that comfortable with Panarin, but eased back on track when Kreider was his wing... I mean, it's pretty much what happened..

Kakko was moved up for how long? Couple of shifts? Fast is putting up his typical low numbers, despite being handed a topn6 role. I believe he was with Zib and Kreider, prior to landing on the Panarin line. He's certainly not a key to the success of either of those lines.b

He's an excellent 4th liner. If he returns and is put in that role in fine with that. But I'd rather combine that savings with cap space and get a top 6 winger and backfill his role with a guy who can skate and PK.

Uggh with the players player award. Half the teams he was on when he won the award, were skeleton teams of bottom feeding shit. Are we seriously going to call that an achievement?

What does the team rebuilding have to do with the merit of the award? You realize it's his teammates voting for him. He's a valued member of the locker room.

Coaches trust him because the other options have been Greg Mckegg, Connor Brickley, Cody McLeod, Paul Carey, Adam Cracknell, Marek Hrivik, Josh Jooris and Brandon Pirri.... Who else were they going to trust????

Seriously? You list a bunch of guys who have been 12th, 13th or Hartford tweeners. What a lame way to try and bring him down. They're not relevant because none have been as effective as him.

He doesn't make any line better.

Explain this to me because this is just plain wrong.

He isn't a focal point on offense.

Um cool? Most aren't.

He doesn't raise anyone's game.

Do you have some proof of that? Eye-test and advanced stats say you're wrong.

Good fore checker? That's his resume. That and an ok defensive forward. Congrats, heva less talented Nicklas Sundstrom.. Did the Rangers miss him when he left, or did he fade into obscurity?

He's been one of the most consistent defensive forwards the last few years. Advanced stats back that up. Doesn't really compare to Sunstrom but okay.

I guess it was just coincidence that Zib took that big step forward to becoming a legit top line center pretty much last season when paired with Kreider and Buch. People were pretty like warm on Zib his first year or two. Pretty much a 20 point spike the year he was put with Kreider.

Or maybe it was because he finally solidified himself as the first line center and had his first healthy season as a Ranger. Isn't it crazy that a 6th overall pick started playing like a 6th overall pick once healthy and developed?

He didn't look all that comfortable with Panarin, but eased back on track when Kreider was his wing... I mean, it's pretty much what happened..

That's just not true. The only reason they're not together is because of Panarin's success with Strome and Quinn's evident desire to have more depth in his top two lines. Quinn links the two of them together when he shuffles and is pressing for offense.

Kakko was moved up for how long? Couple of shifts?

Games. He's been ineffective against lower lines. What would possibly make him better against top pairs and centers?

Fast is putting up his typical low numbers, despite being handed a topn6 role. I believe he was with Zib and Kreider, prior to landing on the Panarin line. He's certainly not a key to the success of either of those lines.

It's already been explained why he's in the top six. No one is saying he's key to the success of those lines. Does that mean he's not a positive contributor? No. I think you're disappointing yourself because you have unrealistic scoring expectations for a trusted grinder. Quinn isn't slapping him on the back expecting offense out of him. There's a reason he's not on the powerplay.

He's an excellent 4th liner. If he returns and is put in that role in fine with that. But I'd rather combine that savings with cap space and get a top 6 winger and backfill his role with a guy who can skate and PK.

I highly doubt that Fast's contract is the breaking point in acquiring a top-six winger. I'd much rather pay Fast $2.5M than have the savings of paying another Greg McKegg $700K just to save $1.8M. That's a significant downgrade.

I hope you watched the game last night and paid attention to Di Giuseppe filling in for Kreider. You want to compare Fast to players like him but I would hope you'd notice the discernible difference in which one was effective playing up and which one wasn't. I'll let you guess which one ended up getting dropped in the lineup.

• Like 2

I hope you watched the game last night and paid attention to Di Giuseppe filling in for Kreider. You want to compare Fast to players like him but I would hope you'd notice the discernible difference in which one was effective playing up and which one wasn't. I'll let you guess which one ended up getting dropped in the lineup.

that's not fair to Di Giuseppe. he had one game with the top line, that's cant even be considered a cup of coffee. gotta give him at least few more games to have any kinds of an opinion on him.

Good in the room.

Can slot anywhere in the lineup and not hurt you.

Won't be expensive.

Hard to see the issue. I mean, I see people with long posts basically saying "he's not an impact player" which is silly. He's a player who doesn't negatively impact you, anywhere. He's not a liability and he comes to play every day. So if your gripe is that we don't need him because he's not a top 6 player....Well the team has plenty of top 6 players. They need bottom 6 and that what he'll be when the team is competitive again.

So, no brainer.

I'm cool with that! I've changed my stance on Fast a little ways back. He's not a guy who's going to be a major hit to the cap, and god knows these kids are going to have to learn how to play defense responsibly going forward. A 3 year deal at 2.25 or 2.5 is ok in my book.

We could do worse than Fast....

Good lord, Smith's, Staal's and Hank's deals can't end soon enough!!! ...Almost 19 million between those 3!!!!

Assuming contract wise he isn’t asking for the moon and stars, why not? 2.5 x 3.

I think that's about right for him, Keirik. I'd think it'd be like having a player/coach type guy who could really be a model for defensive or responsible play for these upcoming kids. Not only who we have now, but who we have coming in the next 3 years. I think you guys are right...it's a no brainer.

Good in the room.

Can slot anywhere in the lineup and not hurt you.

Won't be expensive.

Hard to see the issue. I mean, I see people with long posts basically saying "he's not an impact player" which is silly. He's a player who doesn't negatively impact you, anywhere. He's not a liability and he comes to play every day. So if your gripe is that we don't need him because he's not a top 6 player....Well the team has plenty of top 6 players. They need bottom 6 and that what he'll be when the team is competitive again.

So, no brainer.

Couldn’t agree more Peter.