• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jesper Fast: Deal or No Deal?

I’m quinns system, Fasts style is demanded by all players. After that, he doesn’t add much. There’s nothing wrong with him, but he’s vanilla and replaceable.

Again, a month after he’s gone, he’s going into the obscure Rangers thread.

This team will be just fine without the Talbots and Ortmeyers of the league.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m quinns system, Fasts style is demanded by all players. After that, he doesn’t add much. There’s nothing wrong with him, but he’s vanilla and replaceable.

We, fans, get attached to players. Every season I feel, and see others post the same sentiment - deal "him" at the deadline and then sign him on July 1st.

And it's like...by the Ides of March, we've forgotten that player and what they "brought to the table."

I digress - I don't want a third rounder for Jesper Fast. This isn't David Backes in STL where we have a hot commodity but are pushing for the playoffs and are keeping him for the playoffs.

Teams need these kinds of players but your right. They are a dime a dozen. If a team wants him, they can have him.

The only role Howden replaces Fast is the role of "who do fans whine the most about, but have the least to worry about".

If Fast like objects were easy to come by, they wouldn't be in high demand at the deadline. Every team would have one.

He's been given that advantage consistently just once, this season. Any other time he's been moved up it's been in a pinch or for a select number of games. He's a reliable player who both players and coaches adore. He doesn't score much himself but he's always doing the work to try and give others the opportunity to. If you don't see the tangible benefit of his play on both sides of the ice and in the locker room then I don't know what to tell you. These aren't aspects of his game that are suddenly relevant.

Take a look at the current lineup. Who's really playing above him? Kakko? He's been rough and Quinn doesn't want him against top units which assuredly would happen on a line with Panarin. Buchnevich? He's more effective with Kreider and Zib. Kravtsov is still learning North American hockey. Who's left? No one, and yet Fast still does his job well. His linemate leads the NHL in 5v5 production so he's clearly not precluding Panarin from anything.

Namestnikov has 22 points, the same number as Fast. A select number of posters lost their minds over a few games of production and now he's back to being a tweener in Ottawa's lineup. He's not better than Fast and costs twice as much.

Good points, but this is another "intangibles" argument. He hasn't been this staple that people constantly make him out to be. He doesn't make any line better (or much worse). We hear all this talk from the pro Fast corner, but the exact opposite when they talk about Kreider. Kreider at least has a hand in Zibs emergence. Fast is strictly 3rd and 4th line material. Marrying yourself to a player like that is not what I want this team to do. He's not hurting that Panarin line, but he's certainly not making that line. I think even a Lettieri, or Kakko, or anyone with offensive ability, could play in that spot and produce more.

I want a different direction. People want Kreider gone and think he's easily replaceable. I want Fast gone and think he's easily UPGRADEABLE. Keeping mediocre keeps them mediocre. Spend that money on an upgrade, or put him where he belongs.

Namestnikov has been playing with garbage. He started hot and cooled off. I have no doubt he would have made a good impact on this roster had he been given the opportunity. Crap, he could have helped Andersson if they were both on the 4th line to start the season. This 4th line is incredibly useless. I really question Quinn and or Gorton on the decision to go with those players. No reason to not employ Nieves or even frikken Belensky for that matter for the 4th line. These guys can play and contribute. It's not a cap issue.. The more I think about this right now, the more it annoys me. Why and HOW is that this teams 4th line? They have a decent amount of cap space. Why wasn't ANYONE signed to fill out this roster correctly?

Good points, but this is another "intangibles" argument. He hasn't been this staple that people constantly make him out to be. He doesn't make any line better (or much worse). We hear all this talk from the pro Fast corner, but the exact opposite when they talk about Kreider. Kreider at least has a hand in Zibs emergence. Fast is strictly 3rd and 4th line material. Marrying yourself to a player like that is not what I want this team to do. He's not hurting that Panarin line, but he's certainly not making that line. I think even a Lettieri, or Kakko, or anyone with offensive ability, could play in that spot and produce more.

I want a different direction. People want Kreider gone and think he's easily replaceable. I want Fast gone and think he's easily UPGRADEABLE. Keeping mediocre keeps them mediocre. Spend that money on an upgrade, or put him where he belongs.

Except Fast isn't gonna cost $7mil, but keep trying to compare them.

Now we're giving Kreider credit for Zib? Wow... OK.

The Namestnikov trade was totally brain dead. It doesn't make sense from any angle. They could have unloaded him now easily, and he has to be worth, at a minimum, half a win over the garbage they trot out on the 4th line every night.

The bonus angle is embarrassing as Kakko isn't hitting any bonuses. He's not even going to get 10 goals.

The Namestnikov trade was totally brain dead. It doesn't make sense from any angle. They could have unloaded him now easily, and he has to be worth, at a minimum, half a win over the garbage they trot out on the 4th line every night.

The bonus angle is embarrassing as Kakko isn't hitting any bonuses. He's not even going to get 10 goals.

Oh God stop. He's awful. Slightly better than McKegg.

Right on. Could have absolutely waited. The whole thing is strange. It was a weird time to dump him without a corresponding move being made. Quinn never allowed him a legitimate opportunity in the lineup. Can't tell me Namestnikov wouldn't have made this a better team by playing him over Smith, Haley, and McKegg among others.

He hasn't been this staple that people constantly make him out to be.

Based on? He's been the recipient of the Players Player award as voted by his teammates for the last four seasons. Coaches trust him in all situations. No one is making him out to be more than what he is. He's just a consistently effective role player.

He doesn't make any line better (or much worse).

Based on what? He doesn't contribute many points but he's absolutely a fantstic forechecker and is probably the best defensive forward on the team not named Zibanejad.

We hear all this talk from the pro Fast corner, but the exact opposite when they talk about Kreider. Kreider at least has a hand in Zibs emergence. Fast is strictly 3rd and 4th line material. Marrying yourself to a player like that is not what I want this team to do. He's not hurting that Panarin line, but he's certainly not making that line.

One of them is expected to be a scorer on the team while the other is a role player who the coach is playing up. The expectations for Fast and Kreider aren't remotely the same. As mentioned by Pete, Fast also isn't expected to be asking for significant dollars like Kreider.

Please explain Kreider being the cause of Zib's breakout. Don't know what points towards that.

I think even a Lettieri, or Kakko, or anyone with offensive ability, could play in that spot and produce more.

Kakko has been moved up. It hasn't worked so that's just wrong. Lettieri just shoots hard and misses a bunch. There's more to being an effective linemate than hypothetically being able to produce offense.

• Like 1

Based on? He's been the recipient of the Players Player award as voted by his teammates for the last four seasons. Coaches trust him in all situations. No one is making him out to be more than what he is. He's just a consistently effective role player.

Based on what? He doesn't contribute many points but he's absolutely a fantstic forechecker and is probably the best defensive forward on the team not named Zibanejad.

One of them is expected to be a scorer on the team while the other is a role player who the coach is playing up. The expectations for Fast and Kreider aren't remotely the same. As mentioned by Pete, Fast also isn't expected to be asking for significant dollars like Kreider.

Please explain Kreider being the cause of Zib's breakout. Don't know what points towards that.

Kakko has been moved up. It hasn't worked so that's just wrong. Lettieri just shoots hard and misses a bunch. There's more to being an effective linemate than hypothetically being able to produce offense.

Stop making sense! Hot takes FTW!

If this teams hopes rested on Namestnikov.

Oh Lord.

It's so simple... They let him go to earn a UFA contract... He kept sucking the way he sucked here. Nothing strange about it.

So he's not an upgrade on anybody in the lineup, got it. I think I'll differ on that.

I agree with you Dunny. That trade made no sence unless there was a follow up trade to utilize the cap space. And yes, Namestnikov is an upgrade over at least 4-5 players on the current roster, and he could have slotted up nicely to fill a void when Zib went down. And since when should management care about whether a player wants to earn a future UFA contract?

Namestnikov was mediocre on the Rangers and wanted a change of scenery. He got it and he's still mediocre.

Do you blame him? For some reason, he seemed to be in the dog house. And to be fair, he is currently on one of the worst offensive teams in the league now. He still has 22 points, which is the same amount Fast has while playing many of his games with Panarin. It's also a lot more points than all, or most, of our other 3rd and 4th line players.

Who knows what he would have been able to do on a line with Panarin? We do know he put up 20 goals and 44 points in 62 games playing with Stamkos and Kucherov. Maybe he has similar results with Panarin. Just look at how much Panarin elevated Strome? Unfortunately, we will never know because it was never tried.

I don’t see the need to worry heavily about Fast. While he’s definitely a guy you want around, it’s only at a specific price point. Definitely has value, but he can be replaced.

They can totally go to the summer with him unsigned. If someone wants to overpay at the deadline, then by all means, allow them to. If not, ride it out till season’s end and try to bring him back. If he walks, he walks.