• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn Challenges Ryan Lindgren With Rangers Defensive Shake-up

https://nypost.com/2020/01/30/david-quinn-challenges-ryan-lindgren-with-rangers-defensive-shakeup/

This story line is potentially devastating if it plays out. Lindgren grows up in MN idolizing Skjei, his older brother's best friend. Fairy tale outcome that they get to play together for legendary Rangers organization. Then Lindgren outplays his idol as a rookie, displaces him from top pairing and potentially gives the organization the running room to dump him altogether.

Wow.

This looks more like a showcase of Lindgren than Skjei, which I hope is not the case.

I don't know how you increase Skjei's value by demoting him...Looks to me like they're trying to show someone that Lindgren can carry a load.

Why would they move Lindgren? They have no incentive to. He's playing well (mostly) and is on an entry-level deal.

I have no answer for that.

All I'm saying is, you don't increase Skjei's value by demoting him (which the article suggests, saying they want to see if Lindgren can handle top pair minutes so they can trade Skjei...)

Well, no, but you don't necessarily diminish his value, either. He's not being healthy scratched ? he's just bumping down a pair. It's somewhat plausible.
Hope so. I like Lindgren.

But they could have done the same experiment by just increasing the Lingdren/Fox ice time.

Also wouldn't shock me for Skjei to be traded and become Ryan Graves.

For some reason, and I don't know why, I actually like Brady Skjei. I know I kill him up here sometimes, but I really think he's going to be a good player. Lindgen is THE MAN! I love that guy's play.

I think they're just screwing around to see who can play with who. I hope they're not going to trade any of the younger guys....ADA can go though. I just have no idea what we could get in return for a defenseman that can't play defense. LOL

For some reason, and I don't know why, I actually like Brady Skjei. I know I kill him up here sometimes, but I really think he's going to be a good player. Lindgen is THE MAN! I love that guy's play.

I think they're just screwing around to see who can play with who. I hope they're not going to trade any of the younger guys....ADA can go though. I just have no idea what we could get in return for a defenseman that can't play defense. LOL

If Skjei were a golfer, he would have a chronic case of the yips. He is prone to panic, losing his ability to control the puck and make sound decisions. It gets better and he gets more reliable for awhile. Then it gets worse again and I wonder if he can ever work all the way out of it. When confident, he's a very strong asset.

• Like 1

Trouba and Skjei had been playing really well the last month or two, eating huge minutes. I'm a little surprised to see Lindgren get bumped up but I guess why not?

Rangers could certainly be testing it out to see if anyone is expendable but the only real options to get traded on D are Tony and Brady.

If Skjei were a golfer, he would have a chronic case of the yips. He is prone to panic, losing his ability to control the puck and make sound decisions. It gets better and he gets more reliable for awhile. Then it gets worse again and I wonder if he can ever work all the way out of it. When confident, he's a very strong asset.

I LOVE the Golf reference, RG!!! That's so perfect for him...yeah, the yips....kinda like when Greg Norman fell from grace a little bit. He's still a young guy and I think he's got all the tools to do it. I just wish he'd play a little more "angry". I don't wanna get too into the positioning thing because that's a system thing, and we have leaps and bounds to cover in that area as a team.

But as for Skjei, yeah man, I think you nailed it! :thumbs:

He can be when he sticks to just playing defense. It's when he thinks he's an OFD that his play goes to shit.

He can be when he sticks to just playing defense. It's when he thinks he's an OFD that his play goes to shit.

A lot of us remember that 1st season he had here and how promising he was looking. I think you're right Shane...once he gets that offensive bug, he loses his mind out there. I suppose it's a learning experience, and growing pains can be just that....Painful!!

I'm curious to see how he does the rest of the way this season, and I'm going to TRY to be open minded. LOL

This looks more like a showcase of Lindgren than Skjei, which I hope is not the case.

I don't know how you increase Skjei's value by demoting him...Looks to me like they're trying to show someone that Lindgren can carry a load.

Quinn will do some experimenting, too, breaking up – for the second time – the first defense pair of Jacob Trouba and Skjei, inserting 21-year-old rookie Ryan Lindgren on Trouba’s left. It could last a few shifts or it could last a long time. But the Rangers have a need for a top pair.

Quinn loved the rookie pair of Lindgren-Adam Fox. He said the move is an endorsement of Lindgren (unsaid was how much of an indictment it has been of the Skjei-Trouba pair as a shutdown tandem). He likes the nice surprise of how well Lindgren moves the puck.

“It’s a gut feeling,” Quinn said. “We want to see how it looks. I think they both play with a little bit of a snarl. Maybe they can give us that more consistent shutdown D pairing that we’re looking for.

https://theathletic.com/1573619/2020/01/31/playoffs-what-the-rangers-must-do-to-achieve-their-stated-goal-of-making-the-postseason/

I wouldn't read that much into this. Inevitable shuffling over the course of a season, perhaps. Showcase Lindgren? That's a hoot. He's about the last player on the roster in terms of probability of a trade. Outside Panarin, he's been the best development on the team this year. I won't shed a tear if Skjei get's traded, but I will agree with an observation I heard elsewhere that part of the problem with him, in terms of appearances, is that the things he does well he makes look easy while the things he doesn't do well stick out like a sore thumb.