• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why isn't Kaapo Kakko in the AHL?

Phil

I don't think that was a desperate fling. He had the shot, and he took it. He got a good bounce.

It's an ugly goal, but it clearly got his motor going a bit, and I'll take that confidence boost. Here's hoping he runs with it.

As an aside, that Howden-Chytil-Kakko line had a pretty good game.

Well that's my point. It's a low percentage play that got a good result. If the outcome of that is he does more of that shit, that's not good for anyone.

Agree on the Cheats line.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that was a desperate fling. He had the shot, and he took it. He got a good bounce.

It's an ugly goal, but it clearly got his motor going a bit, and I'll take that confidence boost. Here's hoping he runs with it.

As an aside, that Howden-Chytil-Kakko line had a pretty good game.

Sometimes that's all it takes, a good bounce, a fluky goal and it gets a guy going.

Look, I'm greedy and I wanted this kid since I saw him play in the World's. So I wanna see him play. Is it the best for him, well...I dunno. But I think the kid is gonna be a star for this team for the next 10 years and I jumped on the bandwagon a while ago. I'll admit he needs a lot of work, but he has ALL the tools and ALL the talent. ...just gotta be patient with him and he'll bring us where we wanna go. I just feel this kid's got "it".

Anyway, he looked a lot more comfortable last night. And I agree G-Man...that "kid line" was fun to watch. They were surprisingly good last night! MORE please!!!

I don't necessarily think that was a low percentage play. He finally came in off the boards with some desire and took a shot, through traffic, from just above the circles. That type of play is something I'd like to see him do more often. Much better than just spinning his wheels while on the boards.

Well that's my point. It's a low percentage play that got a good result. If the outcome of that is he does more of that shit, that's not good for anyone.

Agree on the Cheats line.

Maybe a hair argumentative, but this is a team that waits and waits and waits for the highest percentage play at nearly all times. Pwrhaps taking a few low percentage plays and seeing if you can't get a good bounce isn't the worst thing in the world.

It’s not like he’s doing everything but the puck just isn’t going in. He’s been bad and slow, a fluke goal isn’t going to change that. He needs go to the AHL, regroup and work on his game and skating.

He will go to Hartford in April for the playoffs.

I don't necessarily think that was a low percentage play. He finally came in off the boards with some desire and took a shot, through traffic, from just above the circles. That type of play is something I'd like to see him do more often. Much better than just spinning his wheels while on the boards.

There were 4 players between him and the net when he shot that puck, 3 of them were Flames...That shot gets blocked and Gaudreau has a break going the other way.

I liked his play on the the Chytil goal much better.

It?s not like he?s doing everything but the puck just isn?t going in. He?s been bad and slow, a fluke goal isn?t going to change that. He needs go to the AHL, regroup and work on his game and skating.

Great point.

Yes, last nights goal was a bonus and sure doesn?t hurt confidence, but many things to work on still

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think a big problem for him is this coaching staff. He gets benched over every mistake he makes, he gets dropped down through the lineup and doesn't get many minutes. Yet a guy like Buchnevich has been just as bad this season, and has gotten his minutes and plays wishing the top 9 every game. I can see why his confidence is down. There was no reason why he was benched in the last couple of minutes last night and had McKegg take his minutes while down a goal.

I think a big problem for him is this coaching staff. He gets benched over every mistake he makes, he gets dropped down through the lineup and doesn't get many minutes. Yet a guy like Buchnevich has been just as bad this season, and has gotten his minutes and plays wishing the top 9 every game. I can see why his confidence is down. There was no reason why he was benched in the last couple of minutes last night and had McKegg take his minutes while down a goal.

I didn't like that either. The kid was having a pretty good game and made a bad play by grabbing the guy awkwardly. I've been a fairly big proponent of Quinn thus far, but I didn't agree with that move. If Quinn was to bench anyone last night, it should have been Skjei.

Good god, Skjei was fucking horrendous last night.

I actually and went back and watched some old highlights from some past games; Was I on fucking crack or something?? He's been shitty for at least the last month and a half!!!

How many times he fails to get the puck out of the zone, or pinches and fails to keep it in. I don't even wanna go into how many times he gets caught on line changes. Someone please teach this kid! RJ and I are going on the 9th and I have a feeling you guys may have to post bail for me!! :rofl:

I didn't like that either. The kid was having a pretty good game and made a bad play by grabbing the guy awkwardly. I've been a fairly big proponent of Quinn thus far, but I didn't agree with that move. If Quinn was to bench anyone last night, it should have been Skjei.

Good god, Skjei was fucking horrendous last night.

I actually and went back and watched some old highlights from some past games; Was I on fucking crack or something?? He's been shitty for at least the last month and a half!!!

How many times he fails to get the puck out of the zone, or pinches and fails to keep it in. I don't even wanna go into how many times he gets caught on line changes. Someone please teach this kid! RJ and I are going on the 9th and I have a feeling you guys may have to post bail for me!! :rofl:

But Skjei did get benched. So did Lindgren.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Asked if he thought this is just about where Kakko would be halfway through his rookie year, coach David Quinn had an unequivocal answer.

“Yes, and I know a lot of people didn’t,” Quinn said before giving the team off on Friday. “It gets a little crazy, the expectations for these guys when they get drafted. I think everybody has to take a step back and realize that the Connor McDavids, the Sidney Crosbys, those guys are outliers; guys that can step in this league and make an immediate impact.”

“He’s frustrated, he puts a lot of pressure on himself, he has high expectations for himself,” Quinn said. “I think sometimes that hurts him a little bit, because he gets a little bit down on himself. Nobody feels sorry for you in this league when things aren’t going the way you want them to. You have to have the ability to push it aside and have your next best shift.”

Quinn added that “there has been a visible change in him when he comes to the bench and things don’t go his way. He’s not sulking, putting his head down, hanging his shoulders.”

But when Kakko is producing, the momentum of confidence is as clear as — well, as clear as the rising sun over Vancouver Bay.

“These guys that come in at 18 are going to go through some growing pains,” Quinn said. “But he’s going to be a hell of a player for us.”

https://nypost.com/2020/01/04/how-kaapo-kakko-is-growing-on-his-rocky-rangers-road/

You have to let him develop by playing him. It seems he’s figuring it out as of late. Very noticeable and almost a force on the ice

He'll get there, Alba! He's played a lot of hockey the last 365 days. I think we're going to see a rejuvenated and much different type Kakko in October. This year's experience is good for him though.