• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NBC Suspends Jeremy Roenick Following Barstool Sports Comments

Phil

Have you heard how women talk about guys, married or otherwise sometimes? You should hear some of the stuff they come up with. It should go both ways. Personally, I absolutely wouldn't speak to a woman that way anyway, but I mean, they aren't totally innocent either from speaking provocatively in the work place or anywhere. If a bunch of married women/celebrities had a sports show or whatever and they were speaking the way Roenick did about guys, is that alright? Because I guarantee the backlash would not be the same.

No, they're not - and behind your words is a really good point about gender dynamics, privilege, and sex. Men just don't feel compelled to report, and maybe just care less because sexual harassment - I guess microagressions would be the term here - generally haven't been directed at men in the past. Men have generally been conditioned to treat sexual objectification as a positive thing, whereas women have generally treated it as a threat and potentially a precursor to something worse. It sounds like a double standard, but it's not really an unwarranted thing. Consider the college bar as an example - sorority Sally is a few drinks in and approaches fratty Freddy, and pulls the "You're hot. Let's fuck" line (let's just be blunt here). Freddy will pretty quickly size her up and either see it as a compliment but decline, or just get the "I'm getting laid" groove going. Flip the roles and Freddy's got a bright red handprint on his face more often than not.

The problem is the context more than the words (the words are inappropriate, but I'm not naive enough to think this isn't how people talk when the mics are off regardless of gender or orientation). This is locker-room talk done in the boardroom and broadcast to the world - that's a problem.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. It's not "cancel culture." It's a loudmouth not understanding he doesnt' have verbal immunity when he's representing his company.

If JR was secretly recorded shooting the shit at a private event, I'd agree with you. He wasn't. He was recorded as a willing participant on a podcast/radio program as a representative of NBC. He violated their terms. He was fired. There is no injustice here.

Right. It's not "cancel culture." It's a loudmouth not understanding he doesnt' have verbal immunity when he's representing his company.

If JR was secretly recorded shooting the shit at a private event, I'd agree with you. He wasn't. He was recorded as a willing participant on a podcast/radio program as a representative of NBC. He violated their terms. He was fired. There is no injustice here.

Although, if he was caught on recording saying it as an employee of NBC, I bet the same thing would probably happen. I mean, we've seen people get blacklisted for lucid tweets made, like, eight years ago. But anyway, I think this is finally it for JR.

Although, if he was caught on recording saying it as an employee of NBC, I bet the same thing would probably happen. I mean, we've seen people get blacklisted for lucid tweets made, like, eight years ago. But anyway, I think this is finally it for JR.

I mean, maybe. It's hard to say. He might have been able to simply apologize for his crude remarks, make it clear that while he was unaware he was being recorded as it was a private event, what he said was irresponsible, and that as an NBC employee, he's sorry, most especially to his colleague.

We've seen this sort of thing happen all the time. If the perceived offense is owned up to earnestly, not everyone gets canceled.

Have you heard how women talk about guys, married or otherwise sometimes? You should hear some of the stuff they come up with. It should go both ways. Personally, I absolutely wouldn't speak to a woman that way anyway, but I mean, they aren't totally innocent either from speaking provocatively in the work place or anywhere. If a bunch of married women/celebrities had a sports show or whatever and they were speaking the way Roenick did about guys, is that alright? Because I guarantee the backlash would not be the same.

Yes. And maybe guys don't want to be spoken about that way either?

I mean, maybe. It's hard to say. He might have been able to simply apologize for his crude remarks, make it clear that while he was unaware he was being recorded as it was a private event, what he said was irresponsible, and that as an NBC employee, he's sorry, most especially to his colleague.

We've seen this sort of thing happen all the time. If the perceived offense is owned up to earnestly, not everyone gets canceled.

Right. Although, this is a case of going to the well too many times. So, I think this may finally be it for him.