• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

I'm not comparing Brady Skjei to Staal or Girardi in any aspect of his play. That's like comparing Erik Christensens passing to Gretzky's, and thats not fair to anyone. I've been accused of being a Skjei-sayer, but I'm just being honest. It's unfair to us to look at Skjei and compare him to top pairing dmen. He's not one.

Maybe I misunderstood your comment. To me, it insinuated that they should tell him not to bother offensively. That's the part I disagreed with. One of his strengths is carrying the puck up through the neutral zone and using his body to get the puck deep into the offensive zone to make something happen. He should still do that while working on the defensive side of his game.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I agree. DeAngelo - Trouba is something I suggested in the offseason, but not as big of a proponent of it now.

The problem I see with these pairings, theres NO #1 pair. Each pairing has an Achilles - which is probably why the team defense is so bad. (but again, everyone not names Staal is 25 and younger... which is awesome)

Yup. That's why I mentioned in another thread that the Rangers #1 goal this offseason should be using assets to go for a 1LD. That's the missing piece. We have two guys capable of filling 2LD and 3LD right now, but they are asked to play above their current skill level because a 1LD is missing.

I wouldn't bother trying to solve the defense via outside the org until Ruff is gone.

Even competent defensive players like Trouba come here and look completely lost.

Not saying Skjei is capable of being a #1 pair D right now, just saying bringing in yet another knew player isn't going to make a difference until you remove the 1 constant from when the D stopped knowing how to play D and that's Ruff. Goes all the way back to AV days (bleeding shots) so can't blame Quinn although that's the narrative folks are trying to create.

Maybe I misunderstood your comment. To me, it insinuated that they should tell him not to bother offensively. That's the part I disagreed with. One of his strengths is carrying the puck up through the neutral zone and using his body to get the puck deep into the offensive zone to make something happen. He should still do that while working on the defensive side of his game.

Unfortunately, when he does this, his entire game goes to shit because he abandons his game to be paul Coffey. He needs to keep it simple. He has no offensive awareness. That doesn’t mean he can’t carry the puck, but that should not be his focus. It’s a big reason why his development has stalled the last few seasons. When AV made him stay back, he was playing his best hockey.

I wouldn't bother trying to solve the defense via outside the org until Ruff is gone.

Even competent defensive players like Trouba come here and look completely lost.

Not saying Skjei is capable of being a #1 pair D right now, just saying bringing in yet another knew player isn't going to make a difference until you remove the 1 constant from when the D stopped knowing how to play D and that's Ruff. Goes all the way back to AV days (bleeding shots) so can't blame Quinn although that's the narrative folks are trying to create.

All of this is true, but there is a point where fixing what isn?t working becomes the responsibility of the head coach.

All of this is true, but there is a point where fixing what isn?t working becomes the responsibility of the head coach.
It's not always as simple as one may think.

For all we know DQ and Ruff don't see eye to eye on some things but DQ doesn't have the authority to do anything about it.

A second year coach out of college vs someone with tenure.

Now that JD has seen this shit for a year, I don't know that I'd expect Ruff to last over the summer.

I'm ready to fire Ruff just so people can understand it's not Ruff.

Need big improvement in this area, obviously, but I'm going to give it some more time, Quinn has other intangibles that I like.

It's definitely partly Ruff.

But I know how you feel. I was waiting for Lias to fail in the AHL so people could stop blaming Howden and Quinn.

It's not always as simple as one may think.

For all we know DQ and Ruff don't see eye to eye on some things but DQ doesn't have the authority to do anything about it.

A second year coach out of college vs someone with tenure.

Now that JD has seen this shit for a year, I don't know that I'd expect Ruff to last over the summer.

That’s fine, in which case the buck stops with Gorton.

I find it hard to believe he wouldn’t get his way if he went to Gorton and JD and demanded change in how the defense is coached and run, however.

I'd bet that Ruff gets a position in the organization....like an assistant to JD or something like that.

But yeah man, we need a real defense coach, and a real defensive system for these kids to build and gel around....no doubt.

That’s fine, in which case the buck stops with Gorton.

I find it hard to believe he wouldn’t get his way if he went to Gorton and JD and demanded change in how the defense is coached and run, however.

Yea, that's what logic would say, right? I'm not arguing with that.

However, I also find it hard to believe that DQ would want any holdovers from the previous regime, especially ones with NHL experience that make it easy for the NYR to let him go...But Ruff's still here. Kinda tells me DQ didn't have a say, if I'm reading the tea leaves.

Yea, that's what logic would say, right? I'm not arguing with that.

However, I also find it hard to believe that DQ would want any holdovers from the previous regime, especially ones with NHL experience that make it easy for the NYR to let him go...But Ruff's still here. Kinda tells me DQ didn't have a say, if I'm reading the tea leaves.

I think that's pretty accurate. I hope JD lets Quinn pick his own defense coach...one that hopefully knows his shit!! ;)

I'd bet that Ruff gets a position in the organization....like an assistant to JD or something like that.

But yeah man, we need a real defense coach, and a real defensive system for these kids to build and gel around....no doubt.

I'm with Dunny here. Too much is being made of Ruff. You really think that Quinn doesn't have his own system that is being run? This isn't football where you have an offensive and defensive coordinator. Yeah, Ruff is probably identifying some problems and trying to address them, but even if a new coach comes in, he'll still be doing what Quinn tells him to do.

I'm with Dunny here. Too much is being made of Ruff. You really think that Quinn doesn't have his own system that is being run? This isn't football where you have an offensive and defensive coordinator. Yeah, Ruff is probably identifying some problems and trying to address them, but even if a new coach comes in, he'll still be doing what Quinn tells him to do.

It's not so much that Quinn doesn't know, Kev...I just would rather have a guy that Quinn selects and works better with. My gripe of Ruff is that he really wasn't even a defenseman for much of his career, and I don't see much structure, chemistry or continuity of this team's defensive system. It looks very disjointed at times, and they still get caught pretty often just changing lines.

If you remember last game (so long ago now, LOL), Strome went to the bench and let the opposing team score on a 3 on 2 instead of picking up the high man and snuffing out that shot from the high slot. That's bad play by Strome, but still the team itself has got to know that kind of coverage lapse can exist in a disjointed system.

That's just my unhappiness with Ruff, other than the fact I just want someone else back there. I've seen enough of him and his "defense". Pete was right though, you take a defensively sound player like Trouba, toss him out there and he looks like a spaz.

I have a suggestion as to which one they should cut loose, Drew! :rofl:

Both?

The Rangers have a talent profile - aside from Smith and Staal, anyway - such that they're not playing a collapse the goalie defensive game a-la Torts. They're clearly looking to play a possession-first defense game and they've got two guys who know fuck all about puck possession coaching them.

Lindy Ruff changes the way players have been playing for years? Lindy Ruff actually does that? I highly doubt if he can actually have an influence on a decision made on the ice in a nano second, Peety.

Lindy Ruff changes the way players have been playing for years? Lindy Ruff actually does that? I highly doubt if he can actually have an influence on a decision made on the ice in a nano second, Peety.
Because you don't understand hockey, Jimmy.

Both?

The Rangers have a talent profile - aside from Smith and Staal, anyway - such that they're not playing a collapse the goalie defensive game a-la Torts. They're clearly looking to play a possession-first defense game and they've got two guys who know fuck all about puck possession coaching them.

Lindgren and Fox are two of Greg Brown's boys from the WJC medals. They're two of the better players on the team. I'm inclined to trust Brown a little bit especially considering he's yet to have say over Ruff.

NHL salary cap

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The NHL salary cap is the total amount of money that National Hockey League (NHL) teams are allowed to pay their players. It is a "hard" cap, meaning there are no exemptions (and thus no luxury tax penalties are required).

The actual amount of the cap varies on a year-to-year basis, and is calculated as a percentage of the League's revenue from the previous season; for instance, in 2007–08, the NHL's salary cap was approximately US$50.3 million per team; for the 2008–09 season it was $56.7 million; for the 2009–10 season it was $56.8 million; for the 2010–11 season it was $59.4 million; and for the 2011–12 season it was $64.3 million.[1][2] Following the 2012–13 lockout, the 2012–13 salary cap has been set at $60 million, but teams can still spend up to $70.2 million, pro-rated for the shortened season length.[3] Like many professional sports leagues, the NHL has a salary cap to keep teams in larger markets (with more revenue) from signing all of the top players and extending their advantage over smaller-market franchises. The biggest instance was when the Detroit Red Wings stockpiled expensive high-end performers for the 2002 hockey season that resulted in them winning the Stanley Cup[citation needed]. The New York Rangers used a similar approach, offering massive contracts to marquee, veteran players, but results were invariably dire.

A salary cap existed in the early days of the NHL. During the Great Depression, for example, the league was under financial pressure to lower its salary cap to $62,500 per team, and $7,000 per player, forcing some teams to trade away well paid star players in order to fit the cap.[4]