• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire D Adam Fox from CAR for 2019 2nd Rounder, 2020 Conditional 3rd

Phil

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This forum: Rangers defence is appalling. It needs addressing.

NYR: adds highly touted D-man for 2 second round picks.

This forum: it?s too much. They over paid.

Sheesh.

Low % chance of a 2nd rounder panning out, especially not immediately. This is an immediate help. Good move, Rangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Probably paid more for Fox than we got for Zuccarello lol

Unless he makes an instant and sizeable impact it wasn't worth it.

Differences:

Zucc plays forward

Zucc is 31

Zucc is going to be an UFA

Fox plays D

Fox is 21

Fox is a righty D

Fox will be under control for 3+ years

I think it's a good deal for both squads. It might be a slight over payment in some eyes, but we're never going to get a good player for dog shit, and I'm thinking this kid is certainly worth a couple of #2's.

The Pluses here are that Fox seems to be a very highly touted prospect (#66 overall pick)

We can use him right away next season

Our defense is fucking woeful, and this kid looks to be a big help at 21 yrs old

We DID NOT give up a #1 for him

Carolina gets a good return for a player that was most likely not going to sign there.

Looks like a win/win to me....but don't look now, this Rangers team is starting to take shape.

Massive no. Overpay yes. Carolina was trading a player who was not signing with them. He was gone for nothing. It’s the worst kept secret that he wanted to go to the rangers, which further decreases Carolinas leverage. Being that other teams around the league needed a guarantee he would sign with them in order to trade for him. Jimmy Vesey was in the same situation with Nashville, he was traded to buffalo for a third. Hopefully Fox is much better than Vesey but at the time Vesey was a big prospect too.

I like adding fox. It would just be nice for once just once to take advantage of the leverage we have.

Gorton failed in getting a top prospect out of tampa for McDonough. St. Louis demanded a trade to only the rangers and we gave up two first round picks. When the shoe is on the other foot with hagelin and talbot we seem to get peanuts. It just seems to me like the rangers have the worst poker face in the business. It’s not a huge deal but it would be nice to use the leverage when we have it.

As far as a fair deal goes considering the predicament Carolina was in the 38yh pick alone should have sufficed. The pick in 2020 is the worry. It’s a loaded draft and a high second in that draft maybe better than the Winnipeg pick this year. If you ask me I’d rather give them the Winnipeg pick and not two 2nds mainly because of the 2020 one.

I think people here read too much into rumours. some here talking like he already had signed with rangers to come here next season. A lot can chance in one year. There was no guarantee he would sign for rangers next year.

We got a better player than we possibly could with the 37th OA pick this year and we fill a hole we have on RHD. It most likely would?ve been our 4th selection this year too, so its no big deal. Now we got a player we want and need who can come over and play right away. A D selected at #37 would be 3-4(?) years away.

Feels weird to say it, but I?ve been positive about every trade we?ve done since the Stepan trade. Gorton doing it the right way and done a lot of good trades.

This team will be so fucking fun, cant wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This forum: Rangers defence is appalling. It needs addressing.

NYR: adds highly touted D-man for 2 second round picks.

This forum: it’s too much. They over paid.

Sheesh.

Low % chance of a 2nd rounder panning out, especially not immediately. This is an immediate help. Good move, Rangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"This forum," is a vehicle for individuals to speak on. It has no opinions. That's like saying "Twitter says this." It doesn't. A tiny subsection of users on it do.

I, for one, think the price was entirely fair. The Rangers got a guy now, who they can plug into this coming season's lineup, who, if they were willing to wait another year, they could have gotten for free. They paid a "premium" to ensure they got him. I'm fine with it.

Massive no. Overpay yes. Carolina was trading a player who was not signing with them. He was gone for nothing. It?s the worst kept secret that he wanted to go to the rangers, which further decreases Carolinas leverage. Being that other teams around the league needed a guarantee he would sign with them in order to trade for him. Jimmy Vesey was in the same situation with Nashville, he was traded to buffalo for a third. Hopefully Fox is much better than Vesey but at the time Vesey was a big prospect too.

I like adding fox. It would just be nice for once just once to take advantage of the leverage we have.

Gorton failed in getting a top prospect out of tampa for McDonough. St. Louis demanded a trade to only the rangers and we gave up two first round picks. When the shoe is on the other foot with hagelin and talbot we seem to get peanuts. It just seems to me like the rangers have the worst poker face in the business. It?s not a huge deal but it would be nice to use the leverage when we have it.

As far as a fair deal goes considering the predicament Carolina was in the 38yh pick alone should have sufficed. The pick in 2020 is the worry. It?s a loaded draft and a high second in that draft maybe better than the Winnipeg pick this year. If you ask me I?d rather give them the Winnipeg pick and not two 2nds mainly because of the 2020 one.

Vesey was already going to be a free agent on August 15. Buffalo traded their pick for 2 months of negotiating time and hoping to woo him.

Fox still had a whole year before that happens (it won't). And the Rangers already know he wants to sign with them. Completely different scenarios.

Second round picks are craps shoots. Look to TSN for the data. Even in a deep draft, you're not missing on much. Plus, as I said, you already have two other 2nds this year.

Then, from a Rangers standpoint, there's this:

They built up this whole stock of picks and I'm not even remotely disappointed to see them use it. Especially when it's on a young player who projects to enter the lineup immediately.

How does Adam Fox improve our defense? Especially, next season. He doesn't. Plain and simple. He's going to be a shit show in his own end for his first year or two. How many more undersized pseudo offensive D-men can we run out there and expect us to be competent in our own end?

We could have had him for nothing had we just waited a year. A year that we've pretty mucvlh already written off.

(2) 2nd rounders is a big price. That's two guys who have reasonable prospects at being NHL contributors or more.

On the other hand, he is a nice piece to have even if it means I'll never have to watch Pionk again, it's probably worth it for that alone.

• Like 1

How does Adam Fox improve our defense? Especially, next season. He doesn't. Plain and simple. He's going to be a shit show in his own end for his first year or two. How many more undersized pseudo offensive D-men can we run out there and expect us to be competent in our own end?

We could have had him for nothing had we just waited a year. A year that we've pretty mucvlh already written off.

(2) 2nd rounders is a big price. That's two guys who have reasonable prospects at being NHL contributors or more.

On the other hand, he is a nice piece to have even if it means I'll never have to watch Pionk again, it's probably worth it for that alone.

According to TSN's research, two 2nds has roughly a 20% chance of producing an NHL player.

https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/2015/2/12/yost-draft3_53999.jpg

More:

https://www.tsn.ca/examining-the-true-value-of-toronto-s-first-overall-pick-1.491169

1yost.jpg

There's tons of literature on this topic. Outside of the first round, you're hoping and praying.

The only reason I can think to get him here now is so that he continues development this year. No doubt he'll develop more in the NHL than at Harvard...and then you try to shoot your shot in 2020.

I think, long term, you only have two of those little guys. My money would be on Fox and DeAngelo, and hopefully Lindgren can fill out the bottom pair. Size is fine on the left.

Skjei - ADA

Hajek - Fox

Staal - Lindgren

According to TSN's research, two 2nds has roughly a 20% chance of producing an NHL player.

https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/2015/2/12/yost-draft3_53999.jpg

More:

https://www.tsn.ca/examining-the-true-value-of-toronto-s-first-overall-pick-1.491169

1yost.jpg

There's tons of literature on this topic. Outside of the first round, you're hoping and praying.

That's good stuff, and a little worse odds than I thought, but it's still a big price. You can't draft the next Kucherov or even Derek Stepan if you're not making the pick.

The only reason I can think to get him here now is so that he continues development this year. No doubt he'll develop more in the NHL than at Harvard...and then you try to shoot your shot in 2020.

I think, long term, you only have two of those little guys. My money would be on Fox and DeAngelo, and hopefully Lindgren can fill out the bottom pair. Size is fine on the left.

Skjei - ADA

Hajek - Fox

Staal - Lindgren

Tony D and Fox are essentially the same player, based on what I'm reading of Fox. I don't hate your pairings, besides thinking they immediately suck as a group, but those pairing include deletions of Shattenkirk and Smith. I dunno how they do that.

Tony D and Fox are essentially the same player, based on what I'm reading of Fox. I don't hate your pairings, besides thinking they immediately suck as a group, but those pairing include deletions of Shattenkirk and Smith. I dunno how they do that.

I hear hartford is rebuilding too.. would be very nice pieces there.

That's good stuff, and a little worse odds than I thought, but it's still a big price. You can't draft the next Kucherov or even Derek Stepan if you're not making the pick.

But we?re making a shit ton of picks. If we have the chance to trade two for a very good prospect who has much more than 20% chance of being a NHL player, you do it.

There?s no guarantee he would come here next year anyway, even if all the rumours says so. And they probably felt one year in the NHL with the team is better for his development then another year in hartford.

This is quality over quantity, and the trade in itself is a big win. 2 2nds for Fox is a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

Even in the 2003 draft, which many consider to be the deepest of all time, you've only got 13 players with more than 200 NHL games played. And one of them is Dan Fritsche lol