• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Carp: McQuaid Drawing Interest from Toronto, Other Contenders

Phil

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 of last 4 Cup winners were skill teams. The Hawks and Penguins aren't running anyone over.

The POINT is...NO ONE runs THEM over, Pete.

Listen man, I don't know if you've ever played the game...but for a guy who's played, albeit at a way smaller level...there's a part of the game called intimidation, and it gets in the opposition's head. It's when you're racing to the corner to get a loose puck, and in the back of your mind you either know one of 2 things:

1. I'm gonna get pounded for making this play, and I'm gonna feel it.

2. I'm gonna hit this guy and turn him into a hieroglyphic!

There's certain point in the hockey psyche to me that you either ARE THE BITCH, or you MAKE someone your bitch. That's how a team can dominate.

The best example I can give you is Adam Graves.

The guy is the epitome of what I think a player should be; In Baseball they have what they call 5 tool players, right?

1. Hitting

2. Throwing

3. Fielding

4. Running

5. Hitting for power

Well, hockey isn't very different, although sometimes the press will make you think the game has changed; It actually has, but not for teams that win the cup...Sorry man, I know you disagree. Those teams I listed as cup winners were far from the pussies you see on the ice wearing a Rangers Jersey.

Here's the 5 tools I see in the NHL, my man:

1. Skating

2. Shooting

3. Hitting

4. Awareness

5. Toughness

Graves had them ALL, and even though I realize that this bunch of Kotex wearing punks we deploy on the ice each game, is most likely going to be working the night shift at a fucking Wendy's in about 2 seasons, they have very few of those 5 tools. Yes, Kreider has developed a few of them. Congratulations to him...he's about the only one. So yeah, time to build this team the right way. Unload the players that lack the most and replace with hungry, tougher, more skilled young guys. They're out there!

Not only that, but we can build them. We have a new coach who I believe can instill a new attitude in these guys...and wants to!

Now, I don't think every player is going to have all of those tools...however the CHEMISTRY when you create a team or even a line MUST have that formula or they're going to be ineffective due to the lack of one of those! ESPECIALLY toughness, and that's THE POINT. It just seems to me that every team that comes to play us, seems to possess that intimidation factor over us. They outwork us, outskate us, dominate on face off's, get more bodies to the net and also outshoot us...sometimes by A LOT.

Basically it feels like we're overpowered.

Am I the only one that feels this way??

I'd be surprised if so...but you guys gotta admit. I think this team really is as soft as a White Castle turd the last few seasons.

I don't know Future...I see guys like Buchnevich that has talent....lots of it. The problem with this kid is "many-fold". He seems to be very light on the puck...look at the turnover a couple of games ago...I think some guy in the 8th row sneezed, he loses the puck from behind, the team goes right in and beats Hank like a rented mule. They're just too soft in my opinion.

I do agree that the days of the Broadstreet Bullies are long gone, BUT I do feel there is a place in the game, and has been, for team grit, unity, toughness and intimidation...ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.

I watched a Caps team last season play a game that was a lot different from the Caps of the recent past before that. They played a WAY MORE more aggressive style than I've seen in years past. Even star players like Ovechkin were getting their noses dirty.

We shall see again this season, my man! I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I do agree the game is different now; it's gone from a "collision sport" to a "contact sport" in my eyes. I don't know how to phrase that any better, but I know you catch my drift ;)

Don't get me wrong, man. I get your opinion and I totally respect where you're coming from. I just feel that there is a part of the game that still exists much to the chagrin of the media, and what they're trying to sell.

Yea I don't disagree that grit, toughness and all that have their place. I just don't, at this point, think that's the problem for the Rangers.

Buch being weak on the puck isn't just because he's not tough, it's because he's not that good. Patrick Kane never loses the puck like that, but nobody would confuse him with Donal Brashear (for, like, a thousand reasons lol).

Yea I don't disagree that grit, toughness and all that have their place. I just don't, at this point, think that's the problem for the Rangers.

Buch being weak on the puck isn't just because he's not tough, it's because he's not that good. Patrick Kane never loses the puck like that, but nobody would confuse him with Donal Brashear (for, like, a thousand reasons lol).

I'm with you man!!

I just didn't want you to think that I'm going down that "we need a bunch of fighters" road. It's not that at all, I know you get where I'm coming from. Yeah, this team needs some serious re-tooling...I just want to see some grittier players that can play the game.

Kinda like what Herb Brooks says in the movie Miracle..."I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the RIGHT players"...Great stuff!!!

I'm with you man!!

I just didn't want you to think that I'm going down that "we need a bunch of fighters" road. It's not that at all, I know you get where I'm coming from. Yeah, this team needs some serious re-tooling...I just want to see some grittier players that can play the game.

Kinda like what Herb Brooks says in the movie Miracle..."I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the RIGHT players"...Great stuff!!!

Lol, no, I get what you're saying about toughness. I just don't really agree that, in today's game, the Rangers are so much less physical than they need to be. For the most part, they're right in line with the majority of teams.

The idea of running another team over to win a Cup is an idea that I think is dead in the current NHL, that doesn't mean toughness is irrelevant, just that it's not a driving force.

The POINT is...NO ONE runs THEM over, Pete.

Listen man, I don't know if you've ever played the game...but for a guy who's played, albeit at a way smaller level...there's a part of the game called intimidation, and it gets in the opposition's head. It's when you're racing to the corner to get a loose puck, and in the back of your mind you either know one of 2 things:

1. I'm gonna get pounded for making this play, and I'm gonna feel it.

2. I'm gonna hit this guy and turn him into a hieroglyphic!

There's certain point in the hockey psyche to me that you either ARE THE BITCH, or you MAKE someone your bitch. That's how a team can dominate.

The best example I can give you is Adam Graves.

The guy is the epitome of what I think a player should be; In Baseball they have what they call 5 tool players, right?

1. Hitting

2. Throwing

3. Fielding

4. Running

5. Hitting for power

Well, hockey isn't very different, although sometimes the press will make you think the game has changed; It actually has, but not for teams that win the cup...Sorry man, I know you disagree. Those teams I listed as cup winners were far from the pussies you see on the ice wearing a Rangers Jersey.

Here's the 5 tools I see in the NHL, my man:

1. Skating

2. Shooting

3. Hitting

4. Awareness

5. Toughness

Graves had them ALL, and even though I realize that this bunch of Kotex wearing punks we deploy on the ice each game, is most likely going to be working the night shift at a fucking Wendy's in about 2 seasons, they have very few of those 5 tools. Yes, Kreider has developed a few of them. Congratulations to him...he's about the only one. So yeah, time to build this team the right way. Unload the players that lack the most and replace with hungry, tougher, more skilled young guys. They're out there!

Not only that, but we can build them. We have a new coach who I believe can instill a new attitude in these guys...and wants to!

Now, I don't think every player is going to have all of those tools...however the CHEMISTRY when you create a team or even a line MUST have that formula or they're going to be ineffective due to the lack of one of those! ESPECIALLY toughness, and that's THE POINT. It just seems to me that every team that comes to play us, seems to possess that intimidation factor over us. They outwork us, outskate us, dominate on face off's, get more bodies to the net and also outshoot us...sometimes by A LOT.

Basically it feels like we're overpowered.

Am I the only one that feels this way??

I'd be surprised if so...but you guys gotta admit. I think this team really is as soft as a White Castle turd the last few seasons.

Yea, like 10 years ago. Now speed and skill are what scares other teams. Because you can't just unload on players the way you used to, the way the game is called today.

Lol, no, I get what you're saying about toughness. I just don't really agree that, in today's game, the Rangers are so much less physical than they need to be. For the most part, they're right in line with the majority of teams.

The idea of running another team over to win a Cup is an idea that I think is dead in the current NHL, that doesn't mean toughness is irrelevant, just that it's not a driving force.

Last year was the first wire-to-wire playoffs I had watched in a long time. The game does get different. Brooks Orpik went from a painfully slow, borderline competent regular season D-man to an absolute linchpin of the Caps' post-season backline based on the increase in physicality between the regular season and the playoffs. I don't know if "running over" another team is the right way to put it, but the Playoff game still whittles down to endurance, physical toughness, and pure will to get to the next round. The skill guys still have to do their thing and speed is more of a factor than its ever been. A hot goalie still rules. But everybody plays a tougher physical game and you have to be outfitted for that to go the distance. I see McQuaid in that Orpik mode and totally get why there is interest from contenders.

Dreger was asked if he thought the Maple Leafs would have any interest in McQuaid.

?I can?t say they wouldn?t,? allowed Dreger. ?He?s a character guy. I know the Rangers like him a lot. In fact, I wouldn?t be surprised if he gets traded and then potentially signs back with the Rangers in the off-season.

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/archives/2019/2/12/dreger-on-rangers-trade-assets

He's not a good hockey player, but in a sense, that's a good thing. The Rangers probably won't be very good next season either, so his presence can doubly serve their efforts. He's not good, so it helps the tank, and he's dressing room glue, which helps the culture. It's win-win.

I wouldn't really mind re-signing him, but it would depend on moving some of the others.

I don't want a repeat of the shambles of this year, and honestly can't see the point of bringing him back if they're still carrying Smith, Staal, Shattenkirk and Claesson in addition to Pionk, ADA and Skjei.

That talent is going to take time to get here. You need stopgaps in place to bridge to when they are ready. McQuaid is a stopgap. He's a one- or two-year player. Max.

Agree with this. Get a decent draft pick now, bring him back to help the suck for another year or two, and thank him for his help in mentoring the young D.

Bob McKenzie

Bob McKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie

?

1h

NYR getting good action on Zuccarello. Could go for a second rounder and a prospect perhaps. If the return on Kevin Hayes is soft, I could see NYR keeping him and trying to sign him. McQuad will go for at least what they gave up: 4th and 7th rders

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived