• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Carp: Rangers to Speed Up Rebuild Via Offer Sheet This Summer?

Phil

Offer sheet is not ?gentlemanly? so I?m not sure who wants to start this war knowing full well that what you do unto others will come back at you in the future. It?s not that these guys are such gentlemanly figures - it?s the fear of having your eyeballs plucked out later on!

Resign yourself to a 2-3 year process and stock your base first ? fill out a new and improved D-corps then the 2nd and 3rd lines (not a problem for us) and lastly, add the top-end talent you need as cream on top.

Once you demonstrate that commitment to a solid re-build, top talent will want to join us.

You only suffer in the ?win? column getting to that point as you hold $$$ until needed.

Unless a quicker road to glory coalesces around a few young surprises it would be prudent to build a foundation and go up from there. Frig! We?ve waited this long for a Cup...another couple of years is easy at this point. (Not easy but you get my point.)

Offer sheet is not ‘gentlemanly’ so I’m not sure who wants to start this war knowing full well that what you do unto others will come back at you in the future. It’s not that these guys are such gentlemanly figures - it’s the fear of having your eyeballs plucked out later on!

Resign yourself to a 2-3 year process and stock your base first — fill out a new and improved D-corps then the 2nd and 3rd lines (not a problem for us) and lastly, add the top-end talent you need as cream on top.

Once you demonstrate that commitment to a solid re-build, top talent will want to join us.

You only suffer in the ‘win’ column getting to that point as you hold $$$ until needed.

Unless a quicker road to glory coalesces around a few young surprises it would be prudent to build a foundation and go up from there. Frig! We’ve waited this long for a Cup...another couple of years is easy at this point. (Not easy but you get my point.)

Pretty much the ticket, big guy! ....unfortunately we have to have patience with this. There's really no short cut.

This has never worked since Colorado's GM faxed the finger back when Neil Smith signed Joe Sakic to an offer sheet. I suspect that that episode, as much as his poor moves in dismantling the Cup winning team and then trying to rebuild, played a big role in the lack of NHL job offers that Smith got thereafter.

This has never worked since Colorado's GM faxed the finger back when Neil Smith signed Joe Sakic to an offer sheet. I suspect that that episode, as much as his poor moves in dismantling the Cup winning team and then trying to rebuild, played a big role in the lack of NHL job offers that Smith got thereafter.

Eh. Not quite. Joe sackic was essentially a Ranger. The Avs had to come up with something like 24m I’m signing bonuses. It was not an easy call for them. Hardly a middle finger to Smith. IMO a good attempt.

I don't see the problem here. I understand the "gentleman rule", but this is a competition. If you have a shot at getting a superstar talent from another team, or in worst case make them pay that player more than they would like to, you do it.

Offer Marner 7x12m. Either they match it (and have Tavares and Matthews pissed for not being payed the most) or we get our superstar. Easy.

Four first round picks is way to high a price for a one dimensional no effort player like Laine. Even Marner. Getting either does little to move the needle for this team.

So would chytil, Andersson, Kravtsov and miller for Marner sound like a good idea. Add in the fact that they are all on Elcs for some time while Marner gets $10m a year. I’m guessing this talk is about selling press not reality. If the rangers in the early stages of a rebuild trade 4 years of first round picks then they just need to fold due to ineptness

Four first round picks is way to high a price for a one dimensional no effort player like Laine. Even Marner. Getting either does little to move the needle for this team.

So would chytil, Andersson, Kravtsov and miller for Marner sound like a good idea. Add in the fact that they are all on Elcs for some time while Marner gets $10m a year. I?m guessing this talk is about selling press not reality. If the rangers in the early stages of a rebuild trade 4 years of first round picks then they just need to fold due to ineptness

I'd trade 2 Chytil and 2 Anderson for 1 Marner and not look back.

Especially because we already have the players.

Wow' date=' so I looked up signed offer sheets and Dustin Penner was the last signed offer sheet not to be matched in 2007. Prior to that, it hadn't happened since 1997, but it happened a bunch in the 90s.

One thing I didn't know, Adam Graves signed an offer sheet with the Rangers from EDM in 1991 (5 years x 2.44m), which is insane when you look at this stats from those years (highlighted):

YesPUYV.png

Another absolutely mindboggling aspect of this deal is that the compensation to EDM was a guy named Troy Mallette. Now I don't know anything about this guy, but if you peep his stats, it looks like he's a fourth liner.

Troy Mallette was bad ass. You ought to watch some early 90's Ranger games. This organization was grooming some pretty tough guys. Mallette, Domi, Vial,, DeBrusk and a few others really were some tough dudes that could kinda play.

Archived