• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why Rangers Should Re-Think Trading Chris Kreider

Phil

Canadian dollar is stronger on rising interest rates. That's going to come to an end as many more hikes and the entire country will be homeless. It's a Petrobuck in general and Canadian Oil is in the dumps and will remain in the dumps.
James Myrtle (TA, formerly G&M) says that if Toronto has a nice playoff run (and more so if other Canadian teams do which is likely) a league source said the cap could rise by $6 MM next year.

I track oil daily, and yeah, the WCS differentials are scary. They can't get any worse, and if Brent/WTI hold up and the Canadians can build some pipelines despite the Greens, the differentials close bigtime.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Part of me thinks that this would really appeal to a guy like Kreider. I'm just guessing, but he seems like the type who would like to build, so to speak.

He seems to really enjoy working with and talking to the younger guys, Buch/Chytil, and they respond to him, so I wonder if he just wants to be in that kind of role. He's just such a heady guy that I think, if the money is close, he'd choose a role.

Agreed. You can kind of see just how much he's embracing the role this season.

Exactly!! Blueshirt BANTER with all caps!! Def: The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks. In other words; meaningless chatter. BTW. What purpose would it serve to trade a guy like KK who epitomizes exactly what the NYR need more of ??? People must stay awake all nite thinking up this stuff.

giphy.gif

I agree with the tone of the article if the premise of contract length was accurate. It is a huge if and I don't see any way Kreider is only signing a 4 or 5 year deal, foregoing millions of dollars by not signing a 7-8 year contract. He knows what his worth might be when he's 34 at the end of a 5 year term, and it's nowhere near what he can lock up for 7-8 years at 29 years old. If he keeps this level of play up this year and next (35 goals), expect 7x7 minimum. I like Kreider quite a bit, but I feel I am also being realistic with expectations on term he will want/get in UFA. For me it's a catch 22. If he keeps this up I'd like to keep him but I disagree that the Rangers should lock him up that long. If he doesn't keep it up, we will all wish we got the best we could in a trade that helped the team out more long term. They certainly can't let him just walk.

With that said, you don't trade him this year for picks and prospects. I wouldn't trade him this year unless it's for either A) an upgrade or B) a lateral move that makes us younger at the same time. We can debate case A when it comes to comparing him with Nylander and talk about who has played with who and yada yada. However, case B rings true because Nylander certainly isn't worse than Kreider, but he is 5 years younger. It's a massive difference when you could sign him to a 7 year deal now and he would only be 29 at the end of it (Kreider's age when he hits UFA).

Rebuilding a team requires difficult choices to be made and fan favorites to move on. If the opportunity is there, then you do it because that's where this franchise is at right now. Fans will learn to love others as much as they might love Kreider now. Look at how fast love has grown for Howden, Chytil, etc. A 10-15 year dynasty should be the goal.

I agree with the tone of the article if the premise of contract length was accurate. It is a huge if and I don't see any way Kreider is only signing a 4 or 5 year deal, foregoing millions of dollars by not signing a 7-8 year contract. He knows what his worth might be when he's 34 at the end of a 5 year term, and it's nowhere near what he can lock up for 7-8 years at 29 years old. If he keeps this level of play up this year and next (35 goals), expect 7x7 minimum. I like Kreider quite a bit, but I feel I am also being realistic with expectations on term he will want/get in UFA. For me it's a catch 22. If he keeps this up I'd like to keep him but I disagree that the Rangers should lock him up that long. If he doesn't keep it up, we will all wish we got the best we could in a trade that helped the team out more long term. They certainly can't let him just walk.

With that said, you don't trade him this year for picks and prospects. I wouldn't trade him this year unless it's for either A) an upgrade or B) a lateral move that makes us younger at the same time. We can debate case A when it comes to comparing him with Nylander and talk about who has played with who and yada yada. However, case B rings true because Nylander certainly isn't worse than Kreider, but he is 5 years younger. It's a massive difference when you could sign him to a 7 year deal now and he would only be 29 at the end of it (Kreider's age when he hits UFA).

Rebuilding a team requires difficult choices to be made and fan favorites to move on. If the opportunity is there, then you do it because that's where this franchise is at right now. Fans will learn to love others as much as they might love Kreider now. Look at how fast love has grown for Howden, Chytil, etc. A 10-15 year dynasty should be the goal.

Problem is, every contract given out to a guy in his later 20s, these questions are asked.

We have to determine if he’ll be worth enough these first few seasons to justify the last few. And, how effective can he be when he’s no longer worth the cap hit.

It’s been a Rangers issue for years - paying guys franchise money when they are complimentary first liners or 2nd line players(drivers)

I love Kreider, and one of Hayes’ biggest supporters, but they haven’t done Lundqvist-like shit to support the idea of drastically over paying in cap & term.

Problem is, every contract given out to a guy in his later 20s, these questions are asked.

Agreed. But they are questions that a Cup contending team should be asking. I actually think this team is capable enough to make the playoffs, but they are saddled down with some seriously shitty players on the blue line that will prevent them from being a serious contender. That's not changing until 2 more years after this when Staal, Shattenkirk, and Smith all come off the books.

We have to determine if he’ll be worth enough these first few seasons to justify the last few. And, how effective can he be when he’s no longer worth the cap hit.

It’s been a Rangers issue for years - paying guys franchise money when they are complimentary first liners or 2nd line players(drivers)

I love Kreider, and one of Hayes’ biggest supporters, but they haven’t done Lundqvist-like shit to support the idea of drastically over paying in cap & term.

I couldn't agree more. I've been on the other side of the fence; I've downright disliked Hayes and I've felt fans have overrated Kreider. I'm happy to hold my hands up and give credit where it's due, both have been excellent this season.

But, as you say, a long term deal for Kreider is likely to become big issue down the line at a time where the Rangers will hopefully be competitive and in need of whatever cap space they can get. Even a 5 year deal, which I think is a bit unlikely Kreider goes for, could be ugly as Kreider turns 32-33. I think they need to proceed with caution here, even if it sucks to let these guys go when they look like they're finally playing to their potential.

That being said, I'm in no hurry to move Kreider this season unless the return is an absolute no-brainer.

They should show him a tape of the 3rd period against Ottawa in the Rangers last playoff game and say, "If you want the big bucks and long term, play like this every time you step on the ice!!"

He was a freakin' beast that period. Too bad he couldn't start doing that before we had one and a half foot at the golf course.

There's going to be a work stoppage. Doubtful that cap rises coming out of it.

6-7 million, but I'd rather pay a 22 year old than a 29 year old for the 8 years.

Huh?

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/james-van-riemsdyk

come on now ,you not a supporter of krieder and you are downgrading him,every player goes into slumps,and who to say he will get 8 year contract,I guess you only see Krieder glass half empty

come on now ,you not a supporter of krieder and you are downgrading him,every player goes into slumps,and who to say he will get 8 year contract,I guess you only see Krieder glass half empty

I'm a Rangers supporter. I don't fall in love with individual players anymore.

If the Rangers can trade McDonagh, they can certainly trade Krieder.

I'm a Rangers supporter. I don't fall in love with individual players anymore.

If the Rangers can trade McDonagh, they can certainly trade Krieder.

me too, I don't love Krieder ,I trade him to improve the team,but if you keep this up we aren't going ton get good value for him.

I know Petr Prucha hurt you.:disappointed:

Like Pete said, it's all about cost. That said, if he's willing to take the so-called "hometown discount" to stay here, I would be trying to keep him instead of trading him. He's just not worth what you would like to get in a trade, similar to McDonagh. We all thought for sure that, if he was moving, we would be getting one of Tampa's top three prospects even though Yzerman said they would never trade them. And yet somehow we were all shocked when we didn't land Sergachev. Being the big fish in a small pond still means you're just a fish when you get traded to a team of sharks. Kreider is that player. He's a UFA at the end of next season. In other words, for most teams, especially contenders, he's likely a rental. What are we going to get out of him? A first rounder and a mid-level prospect? If you have intentions of contending in the next 5 years through the so-called accelerated rebuild, you need to keep guys like him if the price is right. Character guy, hard working player, and finally coming in to his own.

Anyone that knows me on this board knows that I'm the biggest proponent of selling off aging assets for picks and prospects as the only way to remain competitive in a salary cap league. But when your roster has so few sure things, and you can keep one of your best players without paying him like he's John Tavares, if you want to contend then that's a move worth making. Especially since he's finally hitting his stride under Quinn IMO, I would be keeping him if at all possible. That said, if Gorton sees fit to trade him as part of the process, I'm not gonna be pissed because either way we win.

Archived