• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Are the Rangers Overachieving This Season?

Stephen

Don’t hold your breath. They announced a full tear down. They’re 4 points from last in the east. Don’t get me wrong, im happy they’re exceeding expectations but this team is not going to make the playoffs. They will trade Zucc and Hayes for sure. Maybe others.
I could see this team making the playoffs. Quinn is a solid coach, I think they will avoid big losing streaks.

I think Hank gives us a shot to steal 1-2 games a month and that could mean the difference between making and not making the playoffs.

I'm assuming we don't trade 2-3 key guys before next Febn 26th.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they trade Zucc regardless.

Hayes depends on contract negotiations. He's obviously gone unless they agree terms.

McQuaid will probably be dealt, but we got him for Kampfer and a late pick and he certainly isn't worth more now.

The others I'm not so sure about, I guess it'll depend largely on what is offered. I'm in no hurry to move a guy like Namestnikov at the moment.

No need to move Claesson for a 4th either. Still "young" and signed to a minimum deal - no problem having him here and maybe fight for the #6 spot in the coming years.

I really hope they keep Kreids. Im starting to accept the fact that zucc most likely is gone. Its the best for the Rangers and himself, so I guess thats fine. I just hope he gets somewhere nice.

Hayes I'd trade right away if the deal is right. Sell high on him now. We have Zib, Howden, Chytil and Lias.

Hayes is a rental so they won't be able to sell that high on him. The question becomes whether the late 1st rounder and prospect they get for him will be worth it. You're basically looking at whether one of them develops into a better player than what Hayes is going to be for the next 3-4 years. Then factor in center depth and Cap. It's not a straight forward call, unless they're unable to agree on a deal.

Like I said though, I have a hard time trusting him cruising along on a big, fat contract.

Hayes is a rental so they won't be able to sell that high on him. The question becomes whether the late 1st rounder and prospect they get for him will be worth it. You're basically looking at whether one of them develops into a better player than what Hayes is going to be for the next 3-4 years. Then factor in center depth and Cap. It's not a straight forward call, unless they're unable to agree on a deal.

Like I said though, I have a hard time trusting him cruising along on a big, fat contract.

This is why I want to trade him. Signing Hayes means in worst case scenario we've tied 6m a year in an underperforming player, which was partly the problem with the old core (too much money into underperformers - Girardi, Staal, Nash). Meanwhile if we trade him, worst case scenario we lose Hayes for nothing. I'm not saying thats bad, but its way better than having him eating hotdogs for 6m a year the next 4-6 years.

And the upside is better aswell. A late firsts could turn into another Chytil/Howden or another good looking D prospect like Miller. He could even fetch more than just a late-first. Best case scenario with Hayes is a 25 goals, 50 points scorer who plays good D. Thats fine and all, but at 6m its not really that sexy.

If Chytil and Howden (not even including Lias) continues their good progress, Hayes will be the teams 4th best center in 2 years. Can we really afford to pay him close to 6m to be our 3/4th(or even 5th if Lias lives up to the #7 pick) best center?

We could even trade him for something else than a 1st. Could Carolina be interested? Send him there for a package including Fox?

Fwiw Carpiniello posted an article on The Athletic yesterday suggesting they'll be selling virtually regardless of what happens and Hayes (+Zucc and MacQuaid) are the most likely goners. Make of it what you will.

Just had a look at Fox, he's got 15 points in 7 for Harvard so far :eek: Could be an interesting option. They've got excellent depth at D as it is.

I've been thinking Nashville. Their 4some at C isn't anywhere near as good as the rest of the team. Wonder if they'd do Tolvanen. Probably not, but they might be desperate for a C upgrade and they're in win now mode I think.

Fwiw Carpiniello posted an article on The Athletic yesterday suggesting they'll be selling virtually regardless of what happens and Hayes (+Zucc and MacQuaid) are the most likely goners. Make of it what you will.

Just had a look at Fox, he's got 15 points in 7 for Harvard so far :eek: Could be an interesting option. They've got excellent depth at D as it is.

I've been thinking Nashville. Their 4some at C isn't anywhere near as good as the rest of the team. Wonder if they'd do Tolvanen. Probably not, but they might be desperate for a C upgrade and they're in win now mode I think.

I don't see Nashville as a fit for Hayes unless they're thinking that Johansen should be playing opposite Forsberg or...just not at center. They're strong down the middle (RyJo, Turris, Jarnkrok, Scissons, Bonino)

Yea, any team would want Kreider over Zucc lol.

But the bigger hole is on RW, and if they think Fiala can score more with a better playmaker, that might make some sense.

Right. Zucc over Smith > Kreider > Fiala. The latter still keeps Smith as their top-line RW.

Archived