• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Are the Rangers Overachieving This Season?

Stephen

I’ve been adamant that Hayes should be traded, but he’s making me second guess my conclusion the way he’s been playing. It’ll be interesting to see if he can keep it up in the next few months.

I’ll say this though; Kevin Hayes on a fat, long term contract on Broadway scares the shit out of me.

I'd offer him $6.5 for 6 years. If he wants to play here great, if he won't sign before the deadline trade him.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’ve been adamant that Hayes should be traded, but he’s making me second guess my conclusion the way he’s been playing. It’ll be interesting to see if he can keep it up in the next few months.

I’ll say this though; Kevin Hayes on a fat, long term contract on Broadway scares the shit out of me.

Kevin Hayes is worth more to most other teams than he is to the Rangers, imo - especially if we start remembering that we're supposed to be a bottom-6 team. He's not really the odd man out, but of the odd men, he's got the highest trade value and the most contract worry.

Kevin Hayes is worth more to most other teams than he is to the Rangers, imo - especially if we start remembering that we're supposed to be a bottom-6 team. He's not really the odd man out, but of the odd men, he's got the highest trade value and the most contract worry.

Agreed plus we have a lot of young centers. I mean chytil has looked good on the wing but we will see how it goes in the future. Hayes has played well but I don’t see them investing a big contract on him. Plus he has become a attractive trade piece so you can get a good haul for him

I agree for the most part.

The reason I’m second guessing is that he’s playing at such a level that I’m starting to wonder whether the pick + prospect they’ll get for him at the deadline will be worth it.

That is of course providing he can play at this level consistently, something he hasn’t been able to do in the past. Like I said I’m also worried this is him playing for a contract, and if we pay him he’ll go right back to horsing around with Brady and Jim Vesey instead of focusing on his game.

I realize I’m probably over cooking it here, but I’ve never seen him this good for a stretch of games before.

They are among the vast chunk of teams in the east who don't totally suck but aren't very good, and are competing for the last 2 playoff spots in their conference. Simply they are right about where you could have expected them to be. On nights Lundqvist plays well, they will have a shot. Against better teams, however, that probably won't be enough over 80 games. Figure in the 60 or so games Lundqvist plays there are going to be some bad ones, and that should be enough to have them fall just short of a playoff berth. Not saying it's his fault rather assume he isn't winning the Vezina and the clunkers will be enough to seal their draft lottery slot.

Although I’m happy they have won some games I still don’t expect them to make the playoffs. Better teams have gotten off to bad starts but will eventually get it together like Washington. I still expect us to trade zucc and Hayes at the deadline since they are UFA and should bet good returns for the continued the rebuild, the good thing is the younger players have done well. However there will be bumps in the road by them too

What they ran into last year was every playoff team had a goalie.May be TML sour on Anderson, but other than that not really much different this season so far. And Lundqvist's stand makes it moot anyway.

I agree for the most part.

The reason I’m second guessing is that he’s playing at such a level that I’m starting to wonder whether the pick + prospect they’ll get for him at the deadline will be worth it.

That is of course providing he can play at this level consistently, something he hasn’t been able to do in the past. Like I said I’m also worried this is him playing for a contract, and if we pay him he’ll go right back to horsing around with Brady and Jim Vesey instead of focusing on his game.

I realize I’m probably over cooking it here, but I’ve never seen him this good for a stretch of games before.

I've never seen him this good period. Let alone for a 20 game period. The way he is using his body to protect the puck and the way he frequently controls play entering and within the offensive zone has been fantastic.

They're not gonna sell anymore. Thanksgiving is the barometer. It's here. This is NY, a team in playoff spot isn't gonna sell. We'll probably be giving up the draft for Mark Stone or something. Who btw is still a beast.

Don?t hold your breath. They announced a full tear down. They?re 4 points from last in the east. Don?t get me wrong, im happy they?re exceeding expectations but this team is not going to make the playoffs. They will trade Zucc and Hayes for sure. Maybe others.

Talk to me in January. This is a really hot streak, but I'm still not convinced it's sustainable.

Not this stretch,no. But they just strung together several wins while “playing” less than half the game. That’s a huge difference from last season.

Also starting to hold leads and come from behind.

Right, but that's part of the unsustainability part, too. I think what we're seeing are early dividends on what the actual Cup-contending version of the Rangers are going to look like. Maybe even as soon as next season? Add Panarin to this group, for example, and get at least one competent defensemen and they can make some noise.

The Rangers are 6-8-7 in regulation. I wouldn't say that represents overachievement. On paper they have pretty decent forwards and a weak defense. At such point as they are appreciably over .500 in regulation, I'll say they are overachieving. A lot of guys are playing well right now: 20, 26, 72, 90 among them. If that keeps up, they will be above .500 in regulation. The better teams are still going to make the blue line look bad...

Archived