• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#7) Rangers @ Washington Capitals // Drain the Swamp

Phil

Skjei doesn't have any instincts, he's an athlete who happens to be playing hockey. And if battle level has to be a learned behavior, then it will never come naturally, and you'll see things like last night where Skjei (who also got walked for the second time in three games), makes a horrible buddy pass and then tries to fight a guy for no reason, leading to a breakaway.

He's never been the top performer on his teams - on the USNDT he was behind Seth Jones and at Minnesota, Mike Reilly (at least in terms of production, anyway). His only success in the NHL came on the third pair, and the fact that we're talking about how he needs a good partner is exactly the problem. He's a complimentary player...he could be on a first pair with a legit number 1, but that means he's a number 2, at best.

Great players are great independent of the talent around them, and was anywhere from solid to bad last year, and hasn't been that much better this year. I think he's a good player, I just don't think he's a top dog, so I'd move him. This team has enough 2-4 defensemen in the system already.

OK, we're not as far apart as it seemed. Right now Skjei is no more than a #2, which is still a top pair player. He is playing more like a second pair at the moment, but he is capable of more. I'd argue that match him with right partner even if it's another #2 (Josh Manson) and we have a championship caliber 1st pair.

You said great players stand alone, but Brady is not a great player in that he isn't going to ever be a Norris candidate. He may never make the proverbial all star team. But he also has not hit his prime yet and hasn't been given a chance to adjust to new partners, coach and system.

To take it a step further, hockey is being played at the fastest and highest skill level ever. Johnny hockey and his like are going to make a play like that on some defender like once a game. Only the vaunted shutdown masters will stop Panarin or Ovie or Marner or Trocheck or McDavid..... from creating, it is what the great ones do. Only way Skjei should be expected to shut down top lines all game is with a partner like Manson or better. Skjei has the unfortunate responsibility of being the #1 with an inadequate partner on a weak team that is just trying to find their defensive chops. I'm a believer in Skjei and like his signing, but he's the guy who has to stop the elite players and I'm prepared for him to get burned again by some ultra fancy move. It happens, these are the best in the world.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To add, we have a pretty decent group of forwards to field 3 good lines. But when Names is the 4 C playing with Loud and Lettieri, it is difficult to evaluate his upside. Vesey, playing with Howden and Buch is much easier to evaluate. Get a star RW on Zibs line and we'll know if he is a 1C or just a very good 2C. You can still tell Zibs is a real good player, but difficult to know if he can be a consistent 1C w/o a top-6 RW and a top line LW.

Same for Skjei. The difference is Names will get moved around and get time with better linemates. Skjei is stuck, which is why we are desperate for a serious RHD that would allow the whole D to fall into place and provide Pionk and ADA opportunity on the 2nd and 3rd pairs.

with all due respect I don't think Skjei has shown anything to say he under any circumstances is a championship caliber 1st pair dman.

Understand and you are part of the toughest crowd to please. Let's appreciate the reality. He is by far our best Dman, more importantly our best LHD. Signed longterm, he fits the need for speed, size, puck carrying threat, good passer, PP ability and a good defender who can get better. He is still not in his prime. If a better LHD emerges, Skjei can move down. But that is not close.

This is what I've seen in a nutshell. A late 1st rounder, Skjei performed as a top prospect in college and in the A. He played very well here, for part of a year and a full year. He played important minutes and dominated in the playoffs. Last year was a down year, on a bad team with an AHL partner. With McD and our d forwards traded Brady drew the worst matchups. He is now in the top spot, with a new system and coach. Everyone is adjusting and improving, we are 8 games in.

Yes he had an awful game early and a bad second period yesterday. Probably will have other duds against some great top lines. But if we can put him with a fast strong skilled partner on a team that has a threatening O and a top notch second pair, then he will be a contributor for a contender.

Maybe I'm wrong and he is an average dman even in his prime. Mgmt bets he'll be better, I'm still confident he can be .

You guys do realize Skjei is on the ice with a 1st line that would make a great 2nd line. And a 2nd and 3rd line that are good 3rd lines. The 4th is barely serviceable. The rest of the dmen on the team are 3rd pair guys now, with 1 maybe two having more potential. And Hank, with a subpar backup at the moment.

And you want consistent shutdown play out of our #1 Dman by default? With this group around him? In a new system, with a new or revolving partner and coach?

You guys do realize Skjei is on the ice with a 1st line that would make a great 2nd line. And a 2nd and 3rd line that are good 3rd lines. The 4th is barely serviceable. The rest of the dmen on the team are 3rd pair guys now, with 1 maybe two having more potential. And Hank, with a subpar backup at the moment.

And you want consistent shutdown play out of our #1 Dman by default? With this group around him? In a new system, with a new or revolving partner and coach?

Skjei has gotten undressed many times this season in 1 on 1 coverage. That doesn't have much to do with the team.

Skjei has gotten undressed many times this season in 1 on 1 coverage. That doesn't have much to do with the team.

3 times i remember. More than I expected, but last night Johnny did not care who was on him, he's making that play. It's like trying to stop Ovie from using you as a screen.

I like the way he bounces back though. It looked like a death spiral in the 2nd period and then in the 3rd he was controlling the puck and looking like the best Dman on the ice. Too often he shows a level of skill, skating and athleticism that says he can compete against a team's best defenders and create opportunities. Or deftly skate the puck out of trouble against the fastest opposition. He looks like he belongs with the big boys if you know what I mean.

I don't know I'd criticize Skjei for it, necessarily. I dont think the hit was bad, and I dont like guys having to answer for clean hits.

But I think he saw it as a chance to show some leadership, step up for teammates, maybe build some team commendatory.

It didnt go as planned, looked stupid, especially after the goal. But hey... at least he tried.

But he didnt even get a penalty.. wtf! lol

I think he did. Look at the referee closest to the goal, he got is armed raised. But they scored, so no penalty.

Archived