• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#7) Rangers @ Washington Capitals // Drain the Swamp

Phil

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So lets give him more than 7 games before wishing we had traded him over the summer?

I have a feeling we will be saying/hearing this his entire career. "He played like complete dog shit for 7 games, but he's improved to 'kinda-bad' the last 3"

Skjei played about 70 minutes, mostly against those three lines, and they scored 2 even strength goals. I'll take that 'kinda-bad' all day.

A lot of that is Hank...

Also, I don't think he's, exclusively, been out there against those lines. It was Staal & Smith out against MacKinnon, IIRC.

So lets give him more than 7 games before wishing we had traded him over the summer?

Why? The point of trading him over the summer was that his value was high AND we didn't have to give him a big deal. I probably would have traded him at the deadline before that.

He doesn't have the chutzpah to be a top D, and this system already has a whole bunch of 2-4 guys. If he coudln't own the top D spot on this team last year, i don't think he's going to.

Yea, he's been much better the last few games than he was the first few, but I still think he's been pretty sloppy with the puck.

A good portion of the improvmeent though is kind of how the entire team has played better D, masking individual flaws - like Pitt.

So the entire team not hanging the D out to dry makes the D look better.... Interesting.

I'm confused how this is an indictment of Skjei and why team play enhancing individual play in a team sport is a bad thing.

I'm with Pete here. I think people are being far too harsh on Skjei. He's been much improved lately. He has warts to his game, clearly. But his skating is close to elite and allows him to create exits and entries on his own, and he does drive offense. He can eat 20 minutes a night easily and plays in all situations. If we're still here in 2 years time then by all means, look at trading him.

But imo he's exactly the type of guy we shouldn't be looking at trading at this point.

I'm with Pete here. I think people are being far too harsh on Skjei. He's been much improved lately. He has warts to his game, clearly. But his skating is close to elite and allows him to create exits and entries on his own, and he does drive offense. He can eat 20 minutes a night easily and plays in all situations. If we're still here in 2 years time then by all means, look at trading him.

But imo he's exactly the type of guy we shouldn't be looking at trading at this point.

i agree with you and Pete,some of these fans are being a little too harsh ,like Pete said ,he has what it takes to play 20 min. a game ,and be a solid nhl defenseman

It will be almost impossible for Skjei and Buch to recover from the shitty performance after the deadlines last year. They were both handed the reins and completely shrunk out of the spotlight

Mike, that sounds so fatalistic and not you. Last year was not the year of evaluation and determination on these guys and others. That is what this year is for and too many are making determinations in mid October. Kids that age bounce back from a lot worse than having a below average or even bad hockey season. Especially young adults in an environment that declined in talent and into dysfunctionality. It became a weird year with the wrong coach and no one was really given the reins on D. It was attrition with Smith demoted, Shatty injured and McD traded. Skjei remained, to play with a bunch of AHLers with no system and a group of forwards that were not playing well defensively.

Skjei proved himself for a whole year and in the playoffs partnered with Smith against solid competition. He was always a top performer on his teams before the NHL.

This is his first real stint as a #1, with a brand new coach and system. Multiple partners, none top-pair quality, all of them defensive liabilities. This is why many were hoping we could package a few guys to get at least a #2 RHD so we could evaluate the D better and fill a giant hole. I was afraid Skjei would get jumped on by the fans early, since he was going to have to carry a lesser player. It was why I talked so much about getting a guy like Josh Manson to partner with him. Not realistic, so it turned out to be a slow McQuaid, who would be fine on the third pair. Now he's put together a few good games. Let's relax and watch some more.

As for Buch, completely different. He's flashed but really hasn't proven he can be consistent as a top 6 winger. But he is young and not a finished product. Frankly, I was worried last year that he would not be as good as some hoped. However, we need to give the coach a year or so with him. Then he will know what he is working with and so will we.

They've both been around long enough where they shouldn't have to be coached how to play hard.

Bah, humbug. They need a coach and good coaching. Many of us are already noticing significant differences and good signs with this coach. As Quinn points out, playing hard is not just trying hard. They probably think they are playing hard. Buch def needs to be more consistent in his effort and being hard on the puck and in battles. Some guys will respond this year to our coach, some may not. That is what this year is for.

...Came to the rescue of Zuch last night after a center ice hit!!!

I LOVED IT!

Good job Brady!!! I could give a shit about the goal they scored ....whistle should've blown it dead and the game was over! Kid's got some balls...I needed to see that in him!

I LOVED IT!

Good job Brady!!! I could give a shit about the goal they scored ....whistle should've blown it dead and the game was over! Kid's got some balls...I needed to see that in him!

See Ozzy, this is what you claimed not to be, but really are... :)

Don't care about a week play or a loss as long as we see "balls". :rolleyes:

So the entire team not hanging the D out to dry makes the D look better.... Interesting.

I'm confused how this is an indictment of Skjei and why team play enhancing individual play in a team sport is a bad thing.

I didn't say it was a bad thing. But you don't watch Pitt and think, "wow, Olii Maata is fucking great."

Mike, that sounds so fatalistic and not you. Last year was not the year of evaluation and determination on these guys and others. That is what this year is for and too many are making determinations in mid October. Kids that age bounce back from a lot worse than having a below average or even bad hockey season. Especially young adults in an environment that declined in talent and into dysfunctionality. It became a weird year with the wrong coach and no one was really given the reins on D. It was attrition with Smith demoted, Shatty injured and McD traded. Skjei remained, to play with a bunch of AHLers with no system and a group of forwards that were not playing well defensively.

Skjei proved himself for a whole year and in the playoffs partnered with Smith against solid competition. He was always a top performer on his teams before the NHL.

This is his first real stint as a #1, with a brand new coach and system. Multiple partners, none top-pair quality, all of them defensive liabilities. This is why many were hoping we could package a few guys to get at least a #2 RHD so we could evaluate the D better and fill a giant hole. I was afraid Skjei would get jumped on by the fans early, since he was going to have to carry a lesser player. It was why I talked so much about getting a guy like Josh Manson to partner with him. Not realistic, so it turned out to be a slow McQuaid, who would be fine on the third pair. Now he's put together a few good games. Let's relax and watch some more.

As for Buch, completely different. He's flashed but really hasn't proven he can be consistent as a top 6 winger. But he is young and not a finished product. Frankly, I was worried last year that he would not be as good as some hoped. However, we need to give the coach a year or so with him. Then he will know what he is working with and so will we.

Bah, humbug. They need a coach and good coaching. Many of us are already noticing significant differences and good signs with this coach. As Quinn points out, playing hard is not just trying hard. They probably think they are playing hard. Buch def needs to be more consistent in his effort and being hard on the puck and in battles. Some guys will respond this year to our coach, some may not. That is what this year is for.

Skjei doesn't have any instincts, he's an athlete who happens to be playing hockey. And if battle level has to be a learned behavior, then it will never come naturally, and you'll see things like last night where Skjei (who also got walked for the second time in three games), makes a horrible buddy pass and then tries to fight a guy for no reason, leading to a breakaway.

He's never been the top performer on his teams - on the USNDT he was behind Seth Jones and at Minnesota, Mike Reilly (at least in terms of production, anyway). His only success in the NHL came on the third pair, and the fact that we're talking about how he needs a good partner is exactly the problem. He's a complimentary player...he could be on a first pair with a legit number 1, but that means he's a number 2, at best.

Great players are great independent of the talent around them, and was anywhere from solid to bad last year, and hasn't been that much better this year. I think he's a good player, I just don't think he's a top dog, so I'd move him. This team has enough 2-4 defensemen in the system already.

I LOVED IT!

What? That was a stupid-ass play that was the result of a poor decision by Skjei with the puck. He then made the decision worse by trying to fight. If that's what Quinn wants, he'll be fired sooner than later, because it's losing hockey.

Right, but if you put Hedman or Doughty on the Rangers, you wouldn't say "There's a Norris candidate", either.

Depends. TBL doesn't defend much better than the Rangers, as a team, and Hedman was still in the conversation. Those guys play the same regardless of the systems around them, that's why they are in the conversation.

Depends. TBL doesn't defend much better than the Rangers, as a team, and Hedman was still in the conversation. Those guys play the same regardless of the systems around them, that's why they are in the conversation.
Yea I don't really agree at all.

See Ozzy, this is what you claimed not to be, but really are... :)

Don't care about a week play or a loss as long as we see "balls". :rolleyes:

What? That was a stupid-ass play that was the result of a poor decision by Skjei with the puck. He then made the decision worse by trying to fight. If that's what Quinn wants, he'll be fired sooner than later, because it's losing hockey.

Before you guys go crazy, there's a point here;

Yes, dumb play...

Yes, it was because he turned it over leading to it... I saw all that shit..

Fact is, the guy's been playing like a pansy, and his battle level is for shit. The game was done...and decided already. The fact is this team NEVER sticks up for one another and it's refreshing to see some team unity, even if it is at the expense of giving up a goal. Again, he's going to learn there is a time and a place to pick his places for retribution, but I'm looking for a team with some battle level and I saw something in him last night I had yet to see.

I know you guys don't like that shit, and that's cool...but to me, I think a team needs to have a sense of unity and loyalty to the guys they play with. Be willing to stick up for your team mates....

Quinn most likely wants them to play together and stick together, not fight. It really wasn't much of a fight, but it was a sign of not letting teams push us around. You guys know the game, and you also know during the playoffs, teams that get pushed around are usually out the door quickly.

We have a better chance of getting hit with a fucking meteor than making the playoffs this year, but I like the idea of instilling the "stick up for your team mates" philosophy. Just next time learn from the timing of it, that's all.

I don't know I'd criticize Skjei for it, necessarily. I dont think the hit was bad, and I dont like guys having to answer for clean hits.

But I think he saw it as a chance to show some leadership, step up for teammates, maybe build some team commendatory.

It didnt go as planned, looked stupid, especially after the goal. But hey... at least he tried.

But he didnt even get a penalty.. wtf! lol

I didn't even think the hit was dirty, Josh. It seemed to be low enough, but Aren't you tired of teams coming in here and taking it to us? The game was already decided and he didn't have to step into Zuch like that....Skjei did the right thing, and they probably should have blown the whistle for the scrum, but for some odd reason they didn't. He'll learn from it.

This team ain't going anywhere this year, period. If they can build a better team philosophy, I'm all for it. I'm done watching figure skating 101 ;)

I didn't even think the hit was dirty, Josh. It seemed to be low enough, but Aren't you tired of teams coming in here and taking it to us? The game was already decided and he didn't have to step into Zuch like that....Skjei did the right thing, and they probably should have blown the whistle for the scrum, but for some odd reason they didn't. He'll learn from it.

This team ain't going anywhere this year, period. If they can build a better team philosophy, I'm all for it. I'm done watching figure skating 101 ;)

Yeah, I guess I'm "fine" with it. I was surprised to see it was Skjei, tbh.

And I like that he stood up for a teammate. Unfortunately, the turtling, the attempted fight, the goal against... it looked awkward. It could have been good for the team, but didnt work out that way.

Philosophy, mentality, etc, yup.

Yeah, I guess I'm "fine" with it. I was surprised to see it was Skjei, tbh.

And I like that he stood up for a teammate. Unfortunately, the turtling, the attempted fight, the goal against... it looked awkward. It could have been good for the team, but didnt work out that way.

Philosophy, mentality, etc, yup.

I'm with you my man. I almost left a cocoa puff in my BVD's when I saw it was Skjei. :rofl:

All in time....

How you liking Pionk? I like that he's getting some confidence and looking like he's progressing a bit.

I don't know I'd criticize Skjei for it, necessarily. I dont think the hit was bad, and I dont like guys having to answer for clean hits.

But I think he saw it as a chance to show some leadership, step up for teammates, maybe build some team commendatory.

It didnt go as planned, looked stupid, especially after the goal. But hey... at least he tried.

But he didnt even get a penalty.. wtf! lol

I agree about not liking guys answering for a clean hit. That's my biggest problem. What's he standing up for, his own bad pass?

Well, he got a penalty but it got waved off b/c of the goal.

Archived