• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers/Flyers Preseason Game #6 ? 9/27/18 ? 7pm, MSG

Phil

Guys, Howden, Names, Lettieri and Vesey all had their best period of the preseason. Howden and Vesey developing a little chemistry, nice. Lias has been fine, doubt they'd send hi to Hartford, he's strong enough defensively.

Hajek has been the best Dman on the team.

Keep wondering if it is better to do the right/safe thing for Howden and Hajek's development and start them in Hartford. Takes the pressure off and gives them a little more experience and time to get bigger before NYC. Or stick to the idea the the guys who played best stay. If the latter then both Howden and Hajek should stay. Both are already better than many guys who will be here.

The 12th spot seems to be between Howden and Lettieri. The D has Skjei, ADA, Hajek, Shattenkirk, Pionk, Staal, Smith, McQuaid and Claesson. That's 9 NHLers f you think Hajek is ready.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys, Howden, Names, Lettieri and Vesey all had their best period of the preseason. Howden and Vesey developing a little chemistry, nice. Lias has been fine, doubt they'd send hi to Hartford, he's strong enough defensively.

Keep wondering if it is better to do the right/safe thing for Howden and Hajek's development and start them in Hartford. Takes the pressure off and gives them a little more experience and time to get bigger before NYC. Or stick to the idea the the guys who played best stay. If the latter then both Howden and Hajek should stay. Both are already better than many guys who will be here.

The 12th spot seems to be between Howden and Lettieri. The D has Skjei, ADA, Hajek, Shattenkirk, Pionk, Staal, Smith, McQuaid and Claesson. That's 9 NHLers f you think Hajek is ready.

I'd imagine somewhere in the middle here, where "veterans" like Lettieri get the nod, and kids like Hajek are asked to develop away from the stink.

Letteiri in

Lias out? Looks like HArtfords #1 line

Claesson out. Did I miss something?

Howden- we’ll see

Hajek - have the feeling they send him down

Letteiri in

Howden- we’ll see

Letteiri in. Lias probably in by default, but could end up sent back to Hartford if he doesn't find a respectable gear through the first half dozen games. Claesson will require waivers, so he'll probably be kept as an 8D (team has no issue going 8D, monetarily speaking). Howden and Hajek are both young. Develop them away from the stink.

Letteiri in

Howden- we’ll see

Josh, let's lay it on the line with specifics. More interested in the players and preesbox, than the line combos. Opening day:

KZB

Chytil, Lias Zuc

Names, Hayes, Spooner

Vesey, Lettieri, Fast

McLeod

Skjei, ADA

Staal, Pionk

Smith, Shatty

Claesson, McQuaid

Howden and Hajek are told to think about Christmas in NYC.

If mgmt is to be believed, Howden in for Lettieri. Hajek over Staal

I'd imagine somewhere in the middle here, where "veterans" like Lettieri get the nod, and kids like Hajek are asked to develop away from the stink.

Phil, this is the sensible way to start the season. No reason to give away one of the strong, big reliable defenders. See how guys play and who gets hurt. With Lias and Chytil, we already have 2 rookies. With pseudo-rooks such as Lettieri and Pionk, it may be prudent to start Howden and Hajek in the A.

The 23 man roster is a prediction of what I think the team will do. Not necessarily what I'd do, but very close.

Josh, let's lay it on the line with specifics. More interested in the players and preesbox, than the line combos. Opening day:

KZB

Chytil, Lias Zuc

Names, Hayes, Spooner

Vesey, Lettieri, Fast

McLeod

Skjei, ADA

Staal, Pionk

Smith, Shatty

Claesson, McQuaid

Howden and Hajek are told to think about Christmas in NYC.

If mgmt is to be believed, Howden in for Lettieri. Hajek over Staal

I don't think McQuaid was brought here to sit right out of the box. Somebody has to play D especially on the right side.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Howden I can see going down. But if Quinn really means what he says about the best players play then there is no way he can send Hajek down. He has been our literal best defenseman. If he goes down then Quinn loses credibility before he even coaches a regular season game. Your best defenseman makes your roster. Idc how old he is.

I don't think McQuaid was brought here to sit right out of the box. Somebody has to play D especially on the right side.

I hear ya. And Nashville is a big team. But who do you bench? Pionk?

I could see Quinn rotating four guys in and out of the lineup, early in the year.

To be honest maybe sending most of the kids down to Hartford would be best. Build confidence and a winning culture there instead of losing and rushing them here. I don’t know but I’m not sure any of them are blowing me away that I have to see them in the nhl right now.

Another thing that I know was brought up last year. Lias skating is a huge concern for me. He can improve over time but he will never be confused for gartner. What an ugly stride, it’s slmost like he’s in pain skating. In today’s nhl you are already behind the eight ball when you don’t skate great, and he does not.

To be honest maybe sending most of the kids down to Hartford would be best. Build confidence and a winning culture there instead of losing and rushing them here. I don?t know but I?m not sure any of them are blowing me away that I have to see them in the nhl right now.

Another thing that I know was brought up last year. Lias skating is a huge concern for me. He can improve over time but he will never be confused for gartner. What an ugly stride, it?s slmost like he?s in pain skating. In today?s nhl you are already behind the eight ball when you don?t skate great, and he does not.

He looked much quicker in the 1st preseason game and then after that he plodded along. Maybe nerves play a part? I think he should go down too just go try to find some level of comfort.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think Andersson is actually fairly polished, much more so than Howden and Chytil anyways.

They should start grooming him for a bottom six role because that's what his tool box dictates. It's disappointing certainly, but not all bad. If they take three years to try to pretend he's some kind of dynamic top six guy his time will be wasted here and the only party that will extract any value from him will be his next team who recognizes this.

Of course, I could be wildly wrong, but I don't see much dynamism here. If you want to watch a dynamic offensive prospect, go watch Kravtsov highlights, Andersson ain't that but that's OK if they develop and groom him correctly.

I think Andersson is actually fairly polished, much more so than Howden and Chytil anyways.

They should start grooming him for a bottom six role because that's what his tool box dictates. It's disappointing certainly, but not all bad. If they take three years to try to pretend he's some kind of dynamic top six guy his time will be wasted here and the only party that will extract any value from him will be his next team who recognizes this.

Of course, I could be wildly wrong, but I don't see much dynamism here. If you want to watch a dynamic offensive prospect, go watch Kravtsov highlights, Andersson ain't that but that's OK if they develop and groom him correctly.

I think this is what the organization doesnt want to do right now. He's 19 years old. No sense forcing his development in a certain direction.

I think he got an extended look to see if he can develop his offense while playing in a 3rd line center role, this season. I'm not sure he showed enough, and will probably get sent to Hartford for a bit to see if he can develop more offense. His defensive game is fine. So why not take a little longer to see if he can develop into a good 2-way 2nd line C.

As for his skating, he's not worse than a guy like Stepan.

Archived