• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers/Devils Preseason Game #4 • 9/24/18 • 7pm, MSG

Phil

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To defend Staal here on one play at least. That first goal was solely on Buchnevich. To be honest he was very careless tonight and hopefully it was a painless lesson learned in preseason.

Staal lost that puck battle pretty easily. That's supposed to be a strength of his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Staal lost that puck battle pretty easily. That's supposed to be a strength of his game.

Fair enough but what the hell is buchnevich doing laying a lazy drop pass at your own goal line to him for?

Staal sucks I get it and buchnevich is god like. That play is so far from Staals fault it’s ridiculous. Get passed your bias and just judge the play. Buchnevich is far more valuable and going to have a great career. How can anyone take anything you say seriously when you can’t admit that he made a poor play?

Buch is definitely partly to blame there, but Staal's inability to play hockey has been a problem for a while now. Good shutdown guy, absolutely. But his inability to to the simple things such as controlling a bobbling puck and making a simple pass puts us in hot water far too often. I mean look at him for that goal. It's as if the puck is a live bomb between his legs.

Buch is definitely partly to blame there, but Staal's inability to play hockey has been a problem for a while now. Good shutdown guy, absolutely. But his inability to to the simple things such as controlling a bobbling puck and making a simple pass puts us in hot water far too often. I mean look at him for that goal. It's as if the puck is a live bomb between his legs.

I’m no fan of Staal. That has nothing to do with that particular one play

Staal will have plenty of opportunities to take the blame. Buchnevich doesn’t get a pass and Staal the blame because he’s the prettiest girl in the room.

But still a play where it's eminently possible to control the puck and get rid of it before it becomes a battle.

Yes and it also very possible that buchnevich doesn’t try a high risk play at his own goal line that has no reward to it. Nobody is taking shots at buchnevich. Why is there a need to defend him here? It’s more about defending Staal on one play.

If you replace Staal with Hajek on that play nobody says boo and in fact probably roghtfully call out buchnevich

I don't know, I'm not defending Buch at all. I said he is definitely partly to blame.

Partly, because Staal could very easily have gotten out of that if he had the basic skillset required to be anything more than a shutdown guy who gets in the way of opponents.

If you replace Staal with Hajek I'd probably say the exact same thing. Not a great play from Buch, not a great play from Hajek. Although Hajek gets a pass from being straight out of juniors. Staal, on the other hand, is a veteran with a lot of previous for this sort of thing.

I'm harsh on Staal, but it fucks me off watching a guy who looks like he's playing with a wooden KoHo on a lake every other night.

Fair enough but what the hell is buchnevich doing laying a lazy drop pass at your own goal line to him for?

Staal sucks I get it and buchnevich is god like. That play is so far from Staals fault it?s ridiculous. Get passed your bias and just judge the play. Buchnevich is far more valuable and going to have a great career. How can anyone take anything you say seriously when you can?t admit that he made a poor play?

I get that. I'm saying that Buch isn't entirely to blame. Rarely is one player the sole reason for anything.

Also, you must have my mistaken for someone else, because I'll happily criticize anyone. Buch left his man wide open on that play.

Guys.

It's pre season for everyone.

(A) The games don't count

(2) They're working off rust

(iii) Settle down. You'll all have a coronary by November at this rate.

You might say you expect a better play from Staal but even a veteran can be surprised by someone doing something batshit stupid.

I'm just watching the condensed game now. I'm going to use Kreider's goal in the 3rd to teach my team the way to pick up speed through the neutral zone and drive the net. If he does that consistently this year he can score 10-15 goals just like that.

I'm just watching the condensed game now. I'm going to use Kreider's goal in the 3rd to teach my team the way to pick up speed through the neutral zone and drive the net. If he does that consistently this year he can score 10-15 goals just like that.

Ya know, that play also shows how all 5 guys played a role in the goal, starting in their own zone. They discussed it briefly, on the broadcast, as something the coaches had covered.

Basically, a good passing dman (ADA) gains uncontested possession behind the line. The two closest outlets exit by crossing the ice , from right to left, causing the neutral zone coverage to overload to that side. Meanwhile, Zib streaks down the right side for a stretch pass, while Kreider explodes down the vacated middle, continuing all the way to the net. Bang bang. Well executed and leveraged that group's strengths.

I feel like Quinn just told them to have fun in OT because there was no structure whatsoever to their play.

It was fun as hell to watch but I hope it was a one time thing

Ha,maybe not said, but possibly implied, since they've spent little time working on 3 on 3 OT play. Let alone tactics and strategies. So sure, go have fun, new NHL coach and all that. Hope the team watches the OT. So many mistakes, errr learning experiences. Down the road, these coaches and players will make way better decisions than what we saw during that 5 minute demolition derby.

Archived