• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers/Flyers Preseason Game #2 ? 9/19/18 ? 7pm, MSG

Phil

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe not shocking, but through two games I find myself being frustrated with the same three players as I did last year: Hayes, Vesey, and Skjei. The latter two being downright poor tonight.

Buch, TonyD stood out again. Hajek looked legit. Chytil was on the puck all night. Zib was solid. I'm liking most everything I've seen so far from the younger players.

We are watching the exact same thing, agree on all accounts. Not going to sweat that game from Skjei though.

At VD's request:

GOALTENDERS

Lundqvist - terrible, then was worse when the game started

Tokarski - I guess OK

SKATERS

Holland - shrugs. Reminds me of a 39 year old guy on a PTO, and youre like "Yeah.. just doesnt have it anymore". He could Stoll for a bit, but why?

Spooner - still not showing enough outside of a few offensive zone chances... which he wont be getting during the season

Vesey - noticed once or twice, when he was missing nets or making mistakes

Fontaine - solid, not seeing any mistakes from him

Beleskey - looks to be skating better, nice goal. Needs to be more physical and crash the net

Smith - good with the puck, bad without it. Still slow

Hajek - one of the better defenders. Looks confident, made some plays, still learning

Howden - quiet game.

Gilmour - worthless

Chytil - poor defensively. Picked up his offense as the game progressed

Skjei - worst non Lundqvist on the ice. Looks like a dad trying to let his son win.

DeAngelo - Continuing to impress. Would still like to see him take more chances and more control, offensively. Could really break out if he's successful in doing so. But coming around defensively.

Gropp - didnt notice

Keane - solid performance

Buchnevich - typical Buch. Showed up when he wanted - but is looking more impressive when he decides to do so

Namestnikov - bad game. OK defensively, but seemed to play "hard" too hard

Zibanejad - didnt notice

Lettieri - mistakes. At least he kept a few shots down.

At VD's request:

GOALTENDERS

Lundqvist - terrible, then was worse when the game started

Tokarski - I guess OK

SKATERS

Holland - shrugs. Reminds me of a 39 year old guy on a PTO, and youre like "Yeah.. just doesnt have it anymore". He could Stoll for a bit, but why?

Spooner - still not showing enough outside of a few offensive zone chances... which he wont be getting during the season

Vesey - noticed once or twice, when he was missing nets or making mistakes

Fontaine - solid, not seeing any mistakes from him

Beleskey - looks to be skating better, nice goal. Needs to be more physical and crash the net

Smith - good with the puck, bad without it. Still slow

Hajek - one of the better defenders. Looks confident, made some plays, still learning

Howden - quiet game.

Gilmour - worthless

Chytil - poor defensively. Picked up his offense as the game progressed

Skjei - worst non Lundqvist on the ice. Looks like a dad trying to let his son win.

DeAngelo - Continuing to impress. Would still like to see him take more chances and more control, offensively. Could really break out if he's successful in doing so. But coming around defensively.

Gropp - didnt notice

Keane - solid performance

Buchnevich - typical Buch. Showed up when he wanted - but is looking more impressive when he decides to do so

Namestnikov - bad game. OK defensively, but seemed to play "hard" too hard

Zibanejad - didnt notice

Lettieri - mistakes. At least he kept a few shots down.

Only glaring differences between our observations was that Smith was not even close to slow. He is a very good skater... when in shape and 21 pounds lighter. He was swift out there. Zibs looked good.

BTW, I noticed Chytil's D being sloppy. Maybe he should get the Nylander/Larkin treatment and play the wing, strictly to lessen the rookie's D responsibilities. We are overloaded at C, but that is not the primary reason. If the team wants him to just work at C, I get that too.

Smith was a step behind all night.

When his man had the puck (or about to receive), they created separation with one stride. He was chasing guys all over the defensive zone.

Damn-it, just deleted the game. Now I'll never know. How is it that we saw everything else the same? Could be you're tough on Smith? You have been in the past.

Anyone else think Smith looked slow?

It's just something I notice.

Although, I admit, I was keeping an eye on him, I don't watch players. I watch the play. I'm also a sucker for speed and positioning. When watching the team/play as a whole, when a guy is out of position, or a step slow, it stands out.

I'm hoping some is contributed to "trying to do too much", and he's a little more calm, defensively, next game.

I'm not tough on Smith, I'm honest about him. I didn't like him in Detroit, didnt like the trade, didnt like the re-signing, and didnt like his play last season. I've also been one of the posters hoping he gets back to his game, as I hate rebuilds and old Smith could be a great benefit for us. Good all around game, can be physical, can skate (could?), etc etc. With so many soft, weak defenders on the right side, we need guys like Smith and Staal to stabilize the defense.

Anyone else want to pump the brakes on ADA?

Kid can skate but makes some precarious decisions. Reminds me a little of a young PK without the shot.

Yep, way too premature imo to form an opinion on what his role and more importantly contribution may or may not be over the course of a season. Hoping for the best.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Smith sets the same tone as Hollweg.

Wait until the team is up by 2, then go get your ass kicked. Then take a dumb penalty when you get out of the box.

fuck, i have a feeling "He Hustles!" is going to make a comeback this season.

Not even close.. But yeah the "at least he hustles" is going to be a huge saying this season.

Maybe not shocking, but through two games I find myself being frustrated with the same three players as I did last year: Hayes, Vesey, and Skjei. The latter two being downright poor tonight.

Buch, TonyD stood out again. Hajek looked legit. Chytil was on the puck all night. Zib was solid. I'm liking most everything I've seen so far from the younger players.

I watched sparingly, but that pretty much where I'm at.

Hajek was very noticeable.

Smith was alright.. As someone pointed out he carried the puck comfortably. Was hoping for a bit more aggression.

Zib can be such an electric player. Love anticipating him getting the puck on a one time or any shot.

Seems like Buch was taking the puck deep by himself. Kinda different look than I'm used to. I like it.

I really like Spooner. Not sure why he hasn't done more in this league while being on such a talented team. I like his vision. He seems to create something out of nothing by seeing a guy cross ice through traffic. This guy is going to be a solid guy for this team.

Chytil really looks good. Just so much skill. Seems able to play a variety of styles. Can dangle, or crash the net, or just rip a shot...

Howden didn't amaze but I felt he did some nifty things with the puck upon entry. Need to see more of him.

Namestnikov was on and off. Engaged after he got hit, but kinda need more spark/jump in his game.

I'd say the fourth line openings are wide open. Mcleod and Belesky are pretty sub par and that's being nice.

Vesey was kinda half assing it for a guy who should be fighting for a spot. He's gotta get dirty and fight for loose pucks.

Hayes looked like a oaf in game 1.

Skjei... Meh. He had some decent spots where he weaved through traffic with the puck. He could definitely up his game.

The back up goalie situation is interesting. Tokarski looked like the best goalie to play in the pre season. Not so sure Georgiev has any inside track over the other two.

Anyone else want to pump the brakes on ADA?

Kid can skate but makes some precarious decisions. Reminds me a little of a young PK without the shot.

Agree. I don't see PK. I see 40 year old Dan Boyle, but with 20 something year old upside. ( I really didn't mind Boyle at all.).

Same here so you're not alone. I hope Skjei didn't peak two years ago and now he's locked in on a long term deal. Not saying his contract wasn't worth the risk just hoping he steps up. Can't stand Vesey and hoping they move Hayes at the dead line.

Archived