• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign F Kevin Hayes to 1-Year/$5.125M Extension

Phil

But, at least in theory, the market for Hayes is wider now than what it will be around the deadline.

You'd assume it would be possible to trade him to a team that is currently not seen as a lock to make the playoffs thus potentially getting a better pick and a greater haul in terms of prospects.

So for me, looking at trading him as soon as possible has some merit to it. Although obviously it would put a lot of pressure on Lias in particular.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a lot of you need to resign yourselves to the fact that Kevin Hayes is going to make near, if not better than, $6M per starting next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I agree he will make that much, I just hope it’s not here. Now that he is signed, they should be looking to move him, his value is higher now than at the deadline. For me, he is too inconsistent to pay that much money.

The same reason why he would sign for 5? More money? Because he wants to play here? Is confident in his ability to take a "show me" contract?

Shit, why did he sign at all? If he is aimed at hitting UFA, why not cash in on arbitration, where he might have gotten more money?

He signed because he's an RFA so he didn't really have much leverage. Arbitration might have gotten him another $200k or something, but not made a significant difference.

Now, he will be a UFA a year earlier and get a huge raise next season. He holds all the leverage entering the offseason, and UFAs always get overpaid. Even at 2x$6m now, he'd probably be losing money long term. If he has a good year, he could get $6.5m on the open market.

He signed because he's an RFA so he didn't really have much leverage. Arbitration might have gotten him another $200k or something, but not made a significant difference.

Now, he will be a UFA a year earlier and get a huge raise next season. He holds all the leverage entering the offseason, and UFAs always get overpaid. Even at 2x$6m now, he'd probably be losing money long term. If he has a good year, he could get $6.5m on the open market.

Plus I think it would be better for him with a "sign-and-trade", so he can sign long term with a team wanting him right away. If he signed for two years now he will have to play a season and a half with a new team before signing a new contract, and you never know happens. Even if it sounds weird this one year deal is the "safest" and also the way he will earn most $.

I'm not sure I understand this deal from the Rangers point of view at all. From what I can gather from things I have read online in other RFA situations, since Kevin Hayes is the one who filed for arbitration then the Rangers could have elected a 1 year or 2 year deal in arbitration at whatever rate the arbitrator set. If this is accurate, I get why Hayes would want to sign a 1 year for less than he might get in arbitration. He ensures he is not signed to a 2 year deal in arbitration and gets to be a UFA next year. What I don't get is why the Rangers would not want Hayes on a 2 year deal, even if it's at a higher cap hit of 6-6.5 per. If he's as good or better than last year, he will be worth more trade wise by the deadline with an extra year locked up. If he's not, well, we have plenty of cap space over the next couple of seasons to absorb it without issue.

I'm not sure I understand this deal from the Rangers point of view at all. From what I can gather from things I have read online in other RFA situations, since Kevin Hayes is the one who filed for arbitration then the Rangers could have elected a 1 year or 2 year deal in arbitration at whatever rate the arbitrator set. If this is accurate, I get why Hayes would want to sign a 1 year for less than he might get in arbitration. He ensures he is not signed to a 2 year deal in arbitration and gets to be a UFA next year. What I don't get is why the Rangers would not want Hayes on a 2 year deal, even if it's at a higher cap hit of 6-6.5 per. If he's as good or better than last year, he will be worth more trade wise by the deadline with an extra year locked up. If he's not, well, we have plenty of cap space over the next couple of seasons to absorb it without issue.

We have a log jam at center right now, and the kids will hopefully be better and will be cheaper. If everything goes how we hope with Chytil and Anderson, they would have to move Zib or Hayes to give them the second and third line spots.

I think a lot of you need to resign yourselves to the fact that Kevin Hayes is going to make near, if not better than, $6M per starting next summer.

Which is why he won't be on this team. That's not what you pay 3rd or 4th line centers and the Rangers are hoping that's what he is a year or two from now.

Teams seem to be packing their rosters with young low paid players, and the resulting cap room is driving up the market rate for guys at 25 or 26 who are above average players. I would predict that if Hayes has a year similar to last year and actually goes UFA, he'll get 6m X 6. I know that sounds insane, but the salaries being paid now would have seemed insane three or four years ago as well.

Teams seem to be packing their rosters with young low paid players, and the resulting cap room is driving up the market rate for guys at 25 or 26 who are above average players. I would predict that if Hayes has a year similar to last year and actually goes UFA, he'll get 6m X 6. I know that sounds insane, but the salaries being paid now would have seemed insane three or four years ago as well.

I guess this is my problem. To me he's not above average. He's very very average and were it not for a strong finish, when the season was lost, he would be below average.

I'd like to be proven wrong this season and hopefully the Rangers give him an opportunity to flourish, which I think they will. Hopefully they have a hard choice to make but if the option is to sign a 50 point player to a 6 million dollar deal, or not sign a 50 point player to a 6 million dollar deal, it's an easy decision.

"He's very very average"

While scoring 25 goals and scoring 44 points in 76 games despite playing with a 57.3 defensive zone start percentage on a team with a minus-32 goal differential.

The problem here is you've now twice used hyperbolic language to suggest Hayes is significantly worse than he might be/is. It makes conversation impossible because you're unwilling to deal in reality. We can't debate Hayes' potential value if you're going to dishonestly suggest he's a fourth-line center, or worth like $2M per season. Total failure to launch the moment you do.

Hayes is clearly an above average player. You can debate just how much he is above average and whether other similarly priced players would be better for the team, but the notion that he is average or below is simply not viable.

"He's very very average"

While scoring 25 goals and scoring 44 points in 76 games despite playing with a 57.3 defensive zone start percentage on a team with a minus-32 goal differential.

The problem here is you've now twice used hyperbolic language to suggest Hayes is significantly worse than he might be/is. It makes conversation impossible because you're unwilling to deal in reality. We can't debate Hayes' potential value if you're going to dishonestly suggest he's a fourth-line center, or worth like $2M per season. Total failure to launch the moment you do.

I'm not suggesting he's a 4th line center or worth 2 million, I'm saying the Rangers are hoping to get more than 44 points from a 2nd line center which is why he's expendable. If the Rangers drafted properly, and we'll find out this year, one of Chytil or Andersson should be playing 2nd line minutes. And if they drafted well, one of Andersson or Chytil should eventually be getting 3rd line minutes.

I mean the team was fucking horrible last year. Only one player made it over 50 points, which is a joke -- and part of the collective problem. You keep saying 25 goals and 44 points like that's a good thing. It's not. 44 points is good for 156th in the league. If that's not average, I don't know what is. Considering Hayes got 12 of those points in the final 15 games (7 of which were goals) means he was almost completely useless in terms of scoring for a large majority of the season.

He has 4 full seasons under his belt and last year was his second worst in terms of point totals. I don't see a magical transformation coming this season. And that's fine. But to suggest everyone needs to be on board with paying a 44 point player who can kill penalties 5 and 6 million because of inflation is absurd. Just because it's a trend doesn't mean it needs to be followed.

Rangers need to be focused on adding skilled players at every position. They don't have any dynamic talent on the team at all. Continually paying and plugging with mediocrity should not be the course of action even if trends say so. That's why I have a slight issue with the Skjei deal. What has he proven to earn 5 mill? I don't know. That's why I don't see a spot for Hayes beyond this season. Hopefully there are better options for cheaper.

"He's very very average"

44 points is nt anything to bag about from a 2nd line center though. Yes the 25 goals is great, but you need more than 44 points coming from the second line. My issue is that he is too inconsistent of a player. He scores in streaks and then disappears. IMO, with the amount of centers this team has and with Chytil and Andersson ready, its either him or Zib that need to be moved, and IMO, Zib is a better player to keep.

I'm not suggesting he's a 4th line center or worth 2 million, I'm saying the Rangers are hoping to get more than 44 points from a 2nd line center which is why he's expendable. If the Rangers drafted properly, and we'll find out this year, one of Chytil or Andersson should be playing 2nd line minutes. And if they drafted well, one of Andersson or Chytil should eventually be getting 3rd line minutes.

I mean the team was fucking horrible last year. Only one player made it over 50 points, which is a joke -- and part of the collective problem. You keep saying 25 goals and 44 points like that's a good thing. It's not. 44 points is good for 156th in the league. If that's not average, I don't know what is. Considering Hayes got 12 of those points in the final 15 games (7 of which were goals) means he was almost completely useless in terms of scoring for a large majority of the season.

He has 4 full seasons under his belt and last year was his second worst in terms of point totals. I don't see a magical transformation coming this season. And that's fine. But to suggest everyone needs to be on board with paying a 44 point player who can kill penalties 5 and 6 million because of inflation is absurd. Just because it's a trend doesn't mean it needs to be followed.

Rangers need to be focused on adding skilled players at every position. They don't have any dynamic talent on the team at all. Continually paying and plugging with mediocrity should not be the course of action even if trends say so. That's why I have a slight issue with the Skjei deal. What has he proven to earn 5 mill? I don't know. That's why I don't see a spot for Hayes beyond this season. Hopefully there are better options for cheaper.

I think you just summed up some of the the reasons why he only got 1 year and the team did not commit to more.

If he has a breakout year (more goals more assists), they trade or negotiate again.

If he has a poor year, they trade and move on.

So one more kick of the tyres at what is probably the going rate for a center who pots 25 goals on a team with very little to piss-poor finishing outside of Zibanejad (27), Grabner (25) and who else? Hayes (25).

Don't ask me what happens if he has an in-between year - I don't know, lol.

You need to read between the lines of his point production. Hayes is used in a prominent defensive role. If he got 60% OZ starts and played 3 minutes a game on the PP he'd score more than 44 points, but that's not the role they've used him in.

I think you just summed up some of the the reasons why he only got 1 year and the team did not commit to more.

If he has a breakout year (more goals more assists), they trade or negotiate again.

If he has a poor year, they trade and move on.

So one more kick of the tyres at what is probably the going rate for a center who pots 25 goals on a team with very little to piss-poor finishing outside of Zibanejad (27), Grabner (25) and who else? Hayes (25).

Don't ask me what happens if he has an in-between year - I don't know, lol.

He should be shot directly into the sun.

Agreed. IMO, If anyone is hyping anything up, it those who want to push how "good" Hayes is. If the Rangers felt he were any good, he'd have a 5 year deal. If the league thought he was so good, the Rangers wouldn't have had any problem finding a taker for him. Plenty of teams still could use a "2nd line center". Im guessing here but I feel the issue is that not many around the league feel Hayes is a 2nd line center. They don't want to pay him as such either.

You need to read between the lines of his point production. Hayes is used in a prominent defensive role. If he got 60% OZ starts and played 3 minutes a game on the PP he'd score more than 44 points, but that's not the role they've used him in.

That's true, but I'm not sure many other teams are going to use him in that role either. So what you see is what you get.

I do think he'll get his deal somewhere, however.

I'm not sure how true this is. At any rate, it's impossible to prove.

I like Hayes, I don't love him, let me start with that. But, there's a good chance he's getting all those D zone starts just because the staff preferred to start more offensive players in the O Zone. I'd also love to see what match ups he's getting. Is he playing against the other team's best players all the time? Maybe he is I don't know. How would he do getting more ice time, but against better defensemen that would likely be starting in their own D zone?

I'd venture to agree with Josh, that Hayes is like a Jordan Staal. 50 point player on your third line, everyone thinks he'd do more in an offensive role ("He's just playing behind stars!"), but in the top 6...Still a 50ish point player.

I also want to add, for anyone saying "He's too inconsistent", well it's usually the same people saying that all the time about every player... but I hope you all realize that players with Hayes' skillset who don't go through dry spells are called Anze Kopitar and are Selke/Hart candidates and make $10 million.

The reason Hayes is Hayes, Zib is Zib, etc is because they are humans who go through slumps and if they didn't would be P/G players making double what they make.

Archived