• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

TOR Signs F John Tavares to 7-Year/$77M Contract; $11M AAV

Phil

;933565]I think any defensemen they?re going to want for Marner or Nylander should be for a roster player, not a prospect. With that being said, I can definitely see a Nylander/RHD move for TOR in the future.

Yep.

Jets didn?t re-sign Statsny. Maybe a Trouba/Nylander deal is in the working?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Christ Sake I hate the Leafs.

This will just make their probable implosion so much sweeter.

They'll be even stronger in the regular reason no doubt but fizzle out in the first round again. They haven't addressed their weaknesses yet again.

Maybe the Islanders owner Malkin should have learned a bit about hockey before buying a team. He thought he was going to make enough money to be in the black in a basketball arena in Brooklyn. He was wrong, so now he has to pour a couple of hundred million into an arena of questionable viability at Belmont. He refused to let his GM trade JT, so now they get nothing form him. He's going to lose a great deal of money the next three years playing in an AHL rink in Uniondale and the slush pit in Brooklyn. I wonder when he's going to get sick of losing money?

Maybe the Islanders owner Malkin should have learned a bit about hockey before buying a team. He thought he was going to make enough money to be in the black in a basketball arena in Brooklyn. He was wrong, so now he has to pour a couple of hundred million into an arena of questionable viability at Belmont. He refused to let his GM trade JT, so now they get nothing form him. He's going to lose a great deal of money the next three years playing in an AHL rink in Uniondale and the slush pit in Brooklyn. I wonder when he's going to get sick of losing money?

Belmont might be state of the art arena. But it's going to have many of the same problems as the Coliseum. There's an LIRR spur to get there but no other public transportation. And there's nothing else there. Isles fans rip Brooklyn and the arena itself is bad for hockey. But there is tons of good bars and restaurants all around it and it's on top of a transit hub. With Belmont, you still have to get a bunch of people to a suburban arena off a highway, often during the evening rush hour. At a loss how this works. But the Isles' fans and ownership somehow think Belmont is going to change anything, and I don't see it.

“At that time,” he replied, “I had no feelings for playing for another team. I was invested in playing for the Islanders. I wanted to keep my focus on the ice.

“When (then general manager) Garth Snow said he wouldn’t trade me, I respected that and I didn’t ask to be traded.”

https://www.msgnetworks.com/2018/07/01/tavares-takes-his-stand-on-isles-departure/

Belmont might be state of the art arena. But it's going to have many of the same problems as the Coliseum. There's an LIRR spur to get there but no other public transportation. And there's nothing else there. Isles fans rip Brooklyn and the arena itself is bad for hockey. But there is tons of good bars and restaurants all around it and it's on top of a transit hub. With Belmont, you still have to get a bunch of people to a suburban arena off a highway, often during the evening rush hour. At a loss how this works. But the Isles' fans and ownership somehow think Belmont is going to change anything, and I don't see it.

All true. In addition, the Islanders ownership (and Dolan and Wilpon) are going to lose money on this arena because there is no need for it other than for the Islanders. The metro area already has one arena in mothballs. Dolan thinks he's going to get touring musical acts to take a date at Belmont if they want one at the Garden. I'd say screw that, I'll take two at Barclays and not pay a fortune to move my set. Also, the Islanders fan base (relatively young and white) has been moving Eastward into Suffolk for years, and Belmont is ten tough miles worse than the Coliseum for fans to the East.

Oooph. Didn't think of that. Then again, I don't know if they can afford to pay Trouba down the line.

yeah, haven't looked at the numbers yet, maybe Trouba will be too expensive.

Starting to look a little bit like Penguins if they do make this deal tho. Trouba = Letang, Tavares, Matthews, Marner = Crosby, Malkin, Kessel.

Man how excited I would be if I were a Toronto fan now. Future looking very bright for them.

Then why did the Isles let him go? Maybe let him fulfill a childhood Dream I guess. TOR is going to be a serious contender for a cup run, but did they pay too much for JT?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The islanders didn't "let" him go. They couldn't keep him due to a variety of issues.

Am I the only one not interested in trading Skjei?

Nope, there is me. Gorton said the first guy every team calls and asks about is Skjei. Seems Gorton and the Rangers are not very interested either.

There is another board where trading Skjei is like an obsession. You'd think more fans (who like to play GM) would actually evaluate a players skills, attributes, age, health, contract status and past successes in a player's first couple of years to make a better assessment of their value.

It would not be a bad assumption that the Rangers have interest in Trouba, to pair him with Skjei. Not to swap them and leave the left side barren. If Hayes was to go anywhere before the season, the Jets would be the spot. With Trouba's 8.5 ask, Stasny's exit, and a bunch of other big signings necessary, the Rangers may be waiting out the Jets. Feels like only Toronto can compete with us for Trouba. Now that FA's are signed and ROR has been moved, what other good C's are available?

I’ll never understand this

Saw an Instagram post with LIAR across JT's eyes claiming that he lied to the fans about wanting to stay.

But Isles fans can be just as stupid and moronic as their own Front Office, so...

The islanders didn't "let" him go. They couldn't keep him due to a variety of issues.
I should've reworded that sentence. JT left because he wanted to fulfill a childhood dream of his to play for his hometown team and the Isles would have had a big cap hit considering the contract given by TOR if he got the same contract by NYI

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Omfg, That is unreal.

I thought for sure Lamoriello would have him locked in. Fookin mess for the Isles.Now what?!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Honestly, I think they are fine. Barzal will be a stud and they recently had an amazing draft. If they can do things right (With Lou and Trotz, Im sure they will) they will suck for 2-3 years with us and start being competetive at the same time.

Would be fun with a NYR/NYI playoff matchup sometime in the future.

Archived