• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Rangers Roster

Gravesy

Lol, yea that's confusing.

I think Zucc is a capable top-6 player, but he's A) dependent on linemates to be successful in that role and B) Doesn't make his linemates better...he doesn't really drive play. So if he's on a line with two third-line players, that's going to be a third line, with two first-liners, it's a first line.

If Chytil is a legit top-6 C who can drive play on his own next year, then sure, it could be a true second line. But I think he'll need help to do that next year, and I don't think Zucc/Namestnikov are the guys to carry the extra weight.

Not sure if I get how the guy who is the team leader in assists by a fair margin doesn't make his linemates better.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not sure if I get how the guy who is the team leader in assists by a fair margin doesn't make his linemates better.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That's not really indicative of that. Is there a player who saw a significant bump in goal scoring when they played with Zucc vs. other linemates? I can't really think of one...The better measure is even strength assists, and he wasn't the Rangers' leader last year. He was tied with JT Miller, and only had 3 more than Jesper Fast and 4 more than Desharnais.

Zucc's a good complimentary playmaker and, to his credit, he hasn't ever really played with a real sniper, but he's not a guy who elevates anyone else.

That's not really indicative of that. Is there a player who saw a significant bump in goal scoring when they played with Zucc vs. other linemates? I can't really think of one...The better measure is even strength assists, and he wasn't the Rangers' leader last year. He was tied with JT Miller, and only had 3 more than Jesper Fast and 4 more than Desharnais.

Zucc's a good complimentary playmaker and, to his credit, he hasn't ever really played with a real sniper, but he's not a guy who elevates anyone else.

Thanks.

Sure.

But since this is an internet forum and not the Rangers war room it’s fun to speculate who might be the wild cards out of camp, isn’t it? I don’t think anyone’s saying this guy or that guy HAS to make the roster. But it’s not that much of a stretch that one or two might just do it because

a) there are a quite a few interesting youngsters going to camp this year and

b) most of the guys in front of them aren’t much to write home about

So, personally, I think the most likely are Hajek and Howden. The Rangers traded for them, they’re high on these guys and Gorton said yesterday “they’re ready to turn pro”.

Well said, my angle is definitely a very critical eye on how mgmt handles our future and the rebuild. A bunch of components beyond drafting. Primary concerns are acquiring older prospects or younger NHLers. Then there is the post acquisition. Their development and managing their career path to maximize success. That includes expectations.

So while I dig what you said and can't wait to see Howden and Hajek as regulars, I cringe at Gorton saying their ready. So yeah, we can look forward to the kids and hope some jump into the lineup and never look back.

That said, let's be critical? What is Gorton doing? Take the pressure off, they are still very young and inexperienced prospects. Let them mix it up at camp a bit and get some feedback, then we can talk. It sounds like he is trying to convince Dolan that the rebuild begins to bear fruit. Or convince the fans to buy tickets, that we are better than we should expect. How about shutting up until we see them on the ice against vets.

I hate what Anaheim did with Theodore and Montour. They held them back an extra year when they were ready. I'm not advocating that, it's just as bad as blowing Yakapov's mind and confidence. If Nail was drafted by St Louis middle of the 1st and had a normal dev path, he'd be a better player today, possibly a contributor. But Edm screwed up every aspect.

The kids are interesting. Very high on Howden and expect Hajek to become a super solid second pair guy. But we don't want the current lack of talent to change how we best should bring the kids along. This is a rebuild, bring them along properly.

OK. Now. Who is gonna surprise in camp!!!?

Just want to address on aspect of the post. Howden and Hajek have not had a ton of experience and have never played in the A. It is a shitty amateur move to not lower expectations on these kids and plan to have them start in Hartford. They should be told this is the plan, the fans who pay attention should know this, the coach too.

I fear the Rangers like Howden as much as I do and will rush him. Sure, if he dominates every exhibition game and plays a 2 way game like Patrice right out of the chute, he can burn a few in Oct. But who expects that? Let's do what is right and start him/them in Hartford. Allow them to shine there, then promote them.

I'm with 31, I want Chytil (who I do expect to start at MSG) and Lias to earn their spots. Not as some anti-privilege mantra to toughen up the kids, but because it is what makes sense. If coach thinks Chytil is ready for a C role in the top 9 great. If he wants Chytil on the wing because he is not ready for the D responsibilities at C, it is done because it makes sense. If coach thinks Lias should be our 4C great. But if he Lias is the 5th or 6th best C on the team, he needs to start at Hartford and get his minutes. That is why he has to earn it. It shows he is ready to be a full time NHLer. I'm not convinced he is. What should matter is how Lias plays and what Quinn thinks. What shouldn't matter is what Sather, scouts and fans hope.

Actually Howden played 5 AHL games the season before last. 4 points.

Hajek played 8 that year.....

Nit picking obviously, but they have played a little and did ok going off of stats alone.

I think the plan is that there really isn't a plan. Have them come to camp and see how it shakes out. I don't think the Rangers have any actual expectations of more than one kid being on the roster to start the season. I fear they will bridge all free agents and let them ruin their worth by playing here. Letting them go at the deadline or just letting them go at seasons end. I don't buy that line by Gorton about free agency holding up potential trades. There isn't enough out there in free agency for teams to consider.

Well said, my angle is definitely a very critical eye on how mgmt handles our future and the rebuild. A bunch of components beyond drafting. Primary concerns are acquiring older prospects or younger NHLers. Then there is the post acquisition. Their development and managing their career path to maximize success. That includes expectations.

So while I dig what you said and can't wait to see Howden and Hajek as regulars, I cringe at Gorton saying their ready.

To be fair to Gorton, I'm pretty sure when he said "they're ready to go pro" he meant they're not playing another year in the WHL. They'll either impress in camp and make the roster or they'll go to Hartford.

So yeah, my wildcards out of camp are those 2 guys and Meskanen.

I'd probably rate Hajek as no 1 because the D corps is fairly weak and he can move ahead of a couple of guys in the queue if he performs. There's also the question of Smith.

No2 would be Meskanen for me. I've never seen the guy play but the Rangers really like him and our selection of wingers isn't exactly amazing.

3rd Howden. Although the Rangers lack quality centers after Zib there is no problem with depth. So you'd assume his is the longest route to the roster but, at the same time, if he lights it up he makes the roster.

Then the uber wild card which is Kravtsov. I get the feeling mgmt are leaning towards bringing him over straight away. Now, this is a longshot. But IF he comes over now and IF he turns it on in camp it's not impossible. Again, our wingers are nothing special behind Kreider and Buch and the team lacks dynamism. So if he keeps up his playoff form then who knows.

This year it will be more fun to follow Hartford and KHL than NYR, but I got some weird feeling that this team will suprise a lot of people. I dont necessarily think they will be playoff team, but not in the bottom 10 either.

Kreids - Zib - Buch (if this line can stay healthy we could actually see our first legit 1st line in many years)

Zucc - Chytil - Names (Dont think Names is a top 6 forward, but for now he's the best we have. I have a feeling Chytil will light it up this year, Zucc will as always put up 50+ points)

Vesey - Hayes - Spooner (Not a really bad 3rd line. If Spooner can continue like last year with us and Hayes continue his progress this line could be a good 3rd line)

Fast - Lias - *someone* (could be really good 4th line if Lias progresses nicely. Fast is the "perfect" 4th liner and Lias' game could suit a 4th line (for now, obviously have higher hopes for the future).

This is where it gets really bad...

Skjei - Pionk

Staal - Shatty

Smith - ADA

Hank

The defence is just horrible, but I hope we let the young guys get a year in the AHL first (Lindgren, Hajek). Next year the reincarnation of the defense will begin with (hopefully) Hajek, Lindgren and Rykov joining the team while Miller and Lundkvist joins Hartford.

To be fair to Gorton, I'm pretty sure when he said "they're ready to go pro" he meant they're not playing another year in the WHL. They'll either impress in camp and make the roster or they'll go to Hartford.

So yeah, my wildcards out of camp are those 2 guys and Meskanen.

I'd probably rate Hajek as no 1 because the D corps is fairly weak and he can move ahead of a couple of guys in the queue if he performs. There's also the question of Smith.

No2 would be Meskanen for me. I've never seen the guy play but the Rangers really like him and our selection of wingers isn't exactly amazing.

3rd Howden. Although the Rangers lack quality centers after Zib there is no problem with depth. So you'd assume his is the longest route to the roster but, at the same time, if he lights it up he makes the roster.

Then the uber wild card which is Kravtsov. I get the feeling mgmt are leaning towards bringing him over straight away. Now, this is a longshot. But IF he comes over now and IF he turns it on in camp it's not impossible. Again, our wingers are nothing special behind Kreider and Buch and the team lacks dynamism. So if he keeps up his playoff form then who knows.

Great post, thank you for the bolded, it makes more sense. As does your wildcard explanation, though I know nothing of Meskanen. But yes we'll have room for a winger who impresses.

Liked Hajek's interview. He looks older, more filled-out and serious. I like him and Howden so much, worried mgmt might screw up. The conservative move is start at Hartford and bring them up as soon as they are comfortable and performing. You make a good point that if Smith doesn't have a major turnaround (though a few reports say he's working out hard) there is a wide open roster spot on the left side, as of now.

Krav - if the kid really wants to leave home and a pro league like the KHL, then OK bring him over for good. For mgmt to expect he can play in the NHL this year, seems like a desperate rush job. He's never played big minutes against quality comp until the playoffs. That is very little high level hockey. This one should be up to the kid and parents. Feedback from his current coaches could provide more info for a good decision.

This year it will be more fun to follow Hartford and KHL than NYR, but I got some weird feeling that this team will suprise a lot of people. I dont necessarily think they will be playoff team, but not in the bottom 10 either.

Kreids - Zib - Buch (if this line can stay healthy we could actually see our first legit 1st line in many years)

Zucc - Chytil - Names (Dont think Names is a top 6 forward, but for now he's the best we have. I have a feeling Chytil will light it up this year, Zucc will as always put up 50+ points)

Vesey - Hayes - Spooner (Not a really bad 3rd line. If Spooner can continue like last year with us and Hayes continue his progress this line could be a good 3rd line)

Fast - Lias - *someone* (could be really good 4th line if Lias progresses nicely. Fast is the "perfect" 4th liner and Lias' game could suit a 4th line (for now, obviously have higher hopes for the future).

This is where it gets really bad...

Skjei - Pionk

Staal - Shatty

Smith - ADA

Hank

The defence is just horrible, but I hope we let the young guys get a year in the AHL first (Lindgren, Hajek). Next year the reincarnation of the defense will begin with (hopefully) Hajek, Lindgren and Rykov joining the team while Miller and Lundkvist joins Hartford.

Another good post, a reasonable picture of where we sit, at the moment.

Funny and true. All eyes on Hartford and the KHL. Good timetable for the D. "Reincarnation", awesome way to think about it.

Job 1 though is on Quinn to sort through the current group. Interested to see Brady bounce back, what we have in Pionk, if ADA is going to take the next step, will Shatty continue to be such a defensive liability and if Smith can completely turn it around.

Archived