• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A New Approach Ahead of the Draft Regarding Trades

Giacomin

I still have some worries about him. One of the first things I mentioned about Wahlstrom was his lack of long-term success. Most have his success has been living off of linesmates, and thats fine and dandy... if you have those linemates. Not to mention, that linemate is the hardest thing to find. His points per game increased over a .5 ppg after Hughes came up. To me, that could signal an issue because his lack of defensive play and needing an elite talent to be successful. You can go from Heatley to Heatley real fast in this league. He could wind up finding himself on the 3rd or 4th line for lack of productivity, real quick.

You did. We discussed him being a purely offensive minded player, but he's shown signs since he can be capable for 200'. He's worked effectively on his forecheck, he has good speed to get back and he recognizes where he needs to get better. Since he seems to have a history of being a rink rat, likes practicing, has size and a good hockey IQ he seems like a player who will work on what is necessary. Maybe the way Laine did.

I underestimated his ability and willingness to cut to the net. He's not just fast, but he can cut in tight spaces and stick handle to create. Those things he is doing regardless of linemates.

Yet, we can't discount the Quinn effect and the risks it presents. He's that good. A year at BC, away from his bud Hughes, will be good for him. He may even get some time at C and will be forced to work on D, regardless of position.

i'd still like to move up. TSN reported that after the 6 slot its pretty interchangeable.

I think that's strange considering every different scout/expert has different top 6. Who do TSN has as the top 6 that's supposed to be better prospects then 7-10?

Its more like the top 10 will be Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes, Kotkaniemi and after that the quality drops off a bit I think.

i'd still like to move up. TSN reported that after the 6 slot its pretty interchangeable.

What's the lowdown on Acqua in bocca? My grandfather use to say this. I took it to mean... take, take it in for yourself. Is that right? Does it also mean savor it or keep it to yourself or keep it a secret? Is there a personal story behind the sig?

As for moving up, here's a few questions for us here with draft opinions:

What if the Rangers have really high grades 6 to 8 guys in this draft? [Let's assume there is consensus on 7 as impact players with high upside and low relative risk.] Add that mgmt has a very strong concern that all 7 guys will be selected before 9. Then the obvious question to the reader here is....

Wouldn't this be an exceptionally good reason to trade up? Especially if the cost is not as high as a few people here have suggested.

The question, hopefully gives some of our fans other perspectives to consider before drawing hard conclusions. The Rangers could try (successfully or not) to trade up to say 5 or even 7, not specifically for Tkachuk, but to move up to where their tier of highest ranked players are still available.

They could try to move up for a group that includes Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Hughes for instance. Yet, because you can only draft one, people will conclude it was only to target X guy.

Last year the Rangers tried to jump up a few slots. It was reported the target was Makar. However, it was later reported that the Rangers were very high on both Makar and Petersson. They may have calculated that if they did not make the deal maybe one might slip or Cody Glass would be a solid consolation. Instead they went 4,5,and 6 and possibly we had to regroup and go off the board with our Euro scout pushing for Lias.

Anyone here read any rumors elsewhere from someone who says they know a scout and reports the Rangers may not be as high on Bouchard as the rest of the league or in comparison to the other top Dmen? I held back mentioning this, but it goes straight to the point.

True or not, there is no reason to not believe the Rangers may have a significant gap between the player they have ranked 7 and player 8. Whereas the gap between 4-7 is very narrow. Many here, me included, have a hard time deciding which Dman we'd take 2nd or 3rd, etc. The teams have better info and insights.

Yes, the scuttlebutt on another forum is the Rangers are concerned about his speed/skating. Possible the Rangers are going with the trend (Vegas, Pitt, etc) of having many fast Dmen who can get back and get to the loose pucks in the D zone and move it fast, as a stronger element of emphasis. It makes sense given what Gorton said is our emphasis, but also because almost all of the other top 10 or 11 prospects are plus skaters.

Dreger reporting Calgary would like to get into the first round. Making calls.

I want more than Fox for 28. Only because he is unsigned and worth less due to that fact. Yes i realize Fox would sign with us, but that does not help Calgary.

Sure, good chance he is better than anyone at 28, but good chance he is not. Calgary does not get equal value here. He is going back to Harvard this year anyway,

Just throwing it out there. I know the pundits and scouts love fox. I know he puts up great numbers. I’m not a fan at all. Every game I watch him the commentary is glowing but I’m constantly asking myself what I’m missing. I’m constantly asking why don’t they mention that shit decision he just made with the puck and so on. That all said there is value in him due to reputation and for a second rounder he’s a quality pick up. I don’t like the player but lord knows I’ve been wrong before. Maybe I’m not seeing the potential and instead only seeing what he is right now. Either way I’d rather keep the late first then trade for him. A second I can live with

I want more than Fox for 28. Only because he is unsigned and worth less due to that fact. Yes i realize Fox would sign with us, but that does not help Calgary.

Sure, good chance he is better than anyone at 28, but good chance he is not. Calgary does not get equal value here. He is going back to Harvard this year anyway,

Throw in Sam Bennett with Fox and give them 28.

According to Brooks - Fox is not available.

Is that who Carolina wanted in a package for Lindholm?

Fatty, Fox came on in the 2nd half. 6G 10A (most primary) in last 9 games, against good comp.

He can play D, flies up ice making plays and averages a PPG for 2 years. He looks like a take control player to me. Mistakes are fine. I'm taking the Gallant school of coaching... gotta make a couple of mistakes if you want to make plays that result in goals.

According to Brooks - Fox is not available.

I knew i hated Brooks. Ask him about Andersson then. Bennett and Andersson for #28

Also tell Brooks to tell Calgary that we don't care we are gonna sign him as a college FA anyway.

Archived