• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Case for Taking on Bobby Ryan's Contract

Why?

They were only 5 points out of 8th, with a game in hand, after the trade deadline last year. Draft one piece, sign one piece, and have a couple of players improve, and you're a playoff team even before adding a better system.

a playoff team that comes up short of the ultimate goal. It's going to take way more than those pieces to move the team to a higher level than they have been the last 5-6 years.

I don't know, fellas. We'll see how we do in the draft and what we look like for the start of the season, but I'm seriously thinking we're going to have to temper expectations with this squad. We have a lot of work to do with contracts, the cap, old contracts and players that we need to move on from. We also need to re-stock the farm system a little bit.

I'm expecting about a 2-3 year turnaround to get back to where we can be a playoff team, that can be competitive in a playoff format. Right now it's tough to say because there's so much that needs to happen yet. But we'll see!

I hope you guys are right! I'd love to see it all come together sooner than later, but this is the Rangers we're talking about here, remember? ;)

Hey Three-One! I read this all the way through and had a day or 2 to think it through. At first, I was like...NO WAY Jose! ....The idea does make sense to a degree, and there is a way to achieve getting all this under the cap and landing the big fish in the pond that you're looking for.

The 10,000 pound elephant in the room though, is the fact that I think (...and this is just my opinion) the Rangers are better off just starting with younger players and going the way of the draft. I accept the fact it may be longer than a year....maybe 2 or 3 years. But that's ok with me at this point. We have to replace the last generation of players and I think the best way to do that is to start building a solid farm system with both coaches and players with a bright future.

For the short term and quick turnaround, maybe the Bobby Ryan strategy/Kovalchuk strategy might work, but at this point and taking all things into consideration, I would rather go the route of slow and steadily building through the draft, and unloading older players for younger talent and/or draft picks.

It's a really well thought out idea though!!! I think you may have a future as a GM!! :rofl:

This team is already super young. I'm not sure why they need to get that much younger. The expectation of icing a team of 22 year olds is unrealistic. Zucc will be their oldest forward at 30. And most people don't want to dump him (I don't care). They're stuck with Staal. Who are these old players they need to get rid of?

I would definitely move on from Hayes and Vesey and Names, but that's only if they can get Tavares. If they can't, you bridge all them and you lower expectations and your chances. Ensuring another year with a good draft pick.

We didnt even have old players last season. Other than Henrik, is anyone older than 28?

What sucks during the cap era, is looking at a 28 year old McDonagh, or a 25 year old Namestnikov and thinking "well... these guys are getting up there in age... maybe its time to move one", when only seeing their age.

when people say "We need to get younger", I interpret it as "I hope we find a 18 year old, franchise player".

Losing "20 years" every offseason is incredibly difficult to do, in terms of "getting younger"

It’s hard to make a good argument looking at the defense this team employees. I would hope most here would agree that the metro division isn’t going to be easy next year. From the start I don’t see how you can project them to finish above the pens, caps, jackets, devils, or flyers. The canes and isles sure but that’s no slam dunk.

I do think it will be an enjoyable season to watch but with youth comes growing pains. It is to early to make a prediction to what this team is. Some think Tavares or Karlsson are on their way. If so that would change the short term outlook. Obviously there are more big changes coming to this roster. If they stay true to the mission statement they issued in February then I’m just guessing that with the competition from just the metro they will not be making the playoffs. Doesn’t mean they can’t but they will not be expected to.

The defense is a major problem. You can’t just overlook it like it doesn’t matter.

It’s hard to make a good argument looking at the defense this team employees. I would hope most here would agree that the metro division isn’t going to be easy next year. From the start I don’t see how you can project them to finish above the pens, caps, jackets, devils, or flyers. The canes and isles sure but that’s no slam dunk.

I do think it will be an enjoyable season to watch but with youth comes growing pains. It is to early to make a prediction to what this team is. Some think Tavares or Karlsson are on their way. If so that would change the short term outlook. Obviously there are more big changes coming to this roster. If they stay true to the mission statement they issued in February then I’m just guessing that with the competition from just the metro they will not be making the playoffs. Doesn’t mean they can’t but they will not be expected to.

The defense is a major problem. You can’t just overlook it like it doesn’t matter.

the fans were loving March hockey, werent they?

Do the Penguins or Capitals even have D men? If you have a couple of real offensive studs, you can get by with some mediocre to below mediocre D men.

Tampas D is stacked. They aren't making a difference. I'm, defense no longer wins championships. Lethal offenses do.

Do the Penguins or Capitals even have D men? If you have a couple of real offensive studs, you can get by with some mediocre to below mediocre D men.

Tampas D is stacked. They aren't making a difference. I'm, defense no longer wins championships. Lethal offenses do.

Ok. So where are we getting our Crosby, Malkin, and kessel? Or ovechkin, Kuznetsov, backstrom. Or Kucherov Stamkos point, hedman?

Ok. So where are we getting our Crosby, Malkin, and kessel? Or ovechkin, Kuznetsov, backstrom. Or Kucherov Stamkos point, hedman?

Was thinking the exact same thing. I'll go out on a limb and say we aren't. Combine that with the huge holes on the back end and that's why I think we're further away than some guys think we are.

By trading for Ryan and getting the #4 overall :thumbs:

Chytil, Andersson, Zadina/Tkachuk/Svechnikov and Wahlstrom

I'm worried about the fact that Karlsson has half an ankle to play with. I don't see any guarantee he'll play at his peak with that ankle. Also, at the beginning of the season when Shattenkirk was healthy, he looked like a stud. His game went down hill as the season and his injury progressed. I'm hoping we see the healthy stud Shatt next season. Throw this into a bag and add another 4 year shit contract, no thanks. I don't see anyone giving up their top four picks anyway because after those top 4 your looking at development for at min., a year.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This team is already super young. I'm not sure why they need to get that much younger. The expectation of icing a team of 22 year olds is unrealistic. Zucc will be their oldest forward at 30. And most people don't want to dump him (I don't care). They're stuck with Staal. Who are these old players they need to get rid of?

I would definitely move on from Hayes and Vesey and Names, but that's only if they can get Tavares. If they can't, you bridge all them and you lower expectations and your chances. Ensuring another year with a good draft pick.

Dude-man, I'm just referring to a 2-3 year plan in which players like Staal and Hank, as well will be in or closer to their end of contract dates. I was thinking along the lines of a 2-3 year rebuild. It coincides well with getting close to the end of those guys deals. Hank's deal is a killer and even though I love the guy to death, that 10M tag is a huge obstacle which will only become more of an issue as we move forward, I think. Hank's best years may very well be behind him very soon.

Staal on the other hand, I was never a fan of....BUT I will say this: He was better under Torts than under this last hunk of shit we had back there. AV gave the defense NO support, and if they couldn't weave a pass through 2 forcheckers with a guy in their face, they were up shit's creek.

I wanna see Staal this season with real system of puck support before I evaluate him again

Dude-man, I'm just referring to a 2-3 year plan in which players like Staal and Hank, as well will be in or closer to their end of contract dates. I was thinking along the lines of a 2-3 year rebuild. It coincides well with getting close to the end of those guys deals. Hank's deal is a killer and even though I love the guy to death, that 10M tag is a huge obstacle which will only become more of an issue as we move forward, I think. Hank's best years may very well be behind him very soon.

Staal on the other hand, I was never a fan of....BUT I will say this: He was better under Torts than under this last hunk of shit we had back there. AV gave the defense NO support, and if they couldn't weave a pass through 2 forcheckers with a guy in their face, they were up shit's creek.

I wanna see Staal this season with real system of puck support before I evaluate him again

All this.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived