• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dolan: "I don?t think we had great leadership last year"

Phil

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you mean?

I guess I'm just wondering if they really felt he was a stud, why put so much emphasis on an immediate return to the playoffs vs. rebuilding the right way (which according to Dolan they wanted to do it like Chicago and Pitt did)?

Do they feel obligated to win one for Hank?

Do they not think the heir apparent is that good?

Is it playoff revenue?

I just don't think there's a realistic scenario to become a serious contender next year or even too. Could they continue down the same previous path of trying to paste together parts and pieces to still come up short of the ultimate goal - sure, and at the expense of doing it the right way with younger players and draft picks that will ned time to grow. I was really hoping this time was different. I love Hank but I'm not convinced he's not on a sharper decline that we had hoped and thought. His play was dreadful at times, the team around him was borderline junk, that may not change much on the back end but still he wasn't good.

I guess I'm just wondering if they really felt he was a stud, why put so much emphasis on an immediate return to the playoffs vs. rebuilding the right way (which according to Dolan they wanted to do it like Chicago and Pitt did)?

Do they feel obligated to win one for Hank?

Do they not think the heir apparent is that good?

Is it playoff revenue?

They're not worried. They offered to Hank an out and he didn't take it. If he said yes they would move him.

They're not worried. They offered to Hank an out and he didn't take it. If he said yes they would move him.

So what's the rush to try and build this in a year when there is no clear path to do that (too much uncertainty around bagging the big UFAs or trade targets).

The answer to that question hinges entirely on what your expectations of next season are. Like I wrote about, if the goal is getting back to the playoffs and/or becoming a contender while Lundqvist is viable (which clearly appears to be the case), then yes. It's a damn the torpedos situation. Of course a traditional rebuild would bear more fruit, but they clearly have little interest in a prolonged tenure at the bottom. For good reason. Lundqvist.

Or as McKenzie quipped, “At the end of the day, New York is New York and the Rangers are the Rangers.”

The expectations seemed to be to rebuild the Rangers into a Stanley Cup winner through youth, skill, speed and character.

There was some color added here and there. About having traded picks and now using the strength of the draft and putting in the hard work. That Gorton was not only looking for picks and prospects, but some players closer to ready or current NHLers. That we were going to try and win/ make playoffs and not looking for long rebuild. IOW, no planned tanking.

Then there is the elephant from Dolan, which may tell us something. Paraphrasing, he said there is no reason to not think we can't make the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed. What does that tell you?

It tells me we are not going to get both Tavares and Karlsson, then Kovy to boot. Getting both, plus Kovy means we are going for the Cup this year right? But he didn't say that. Maybe Dolan just wants one marquee star and playoff revenue, while we build through the draft.

So what's the rush to try and build this in a year when there is no clear path to do that (too much uncertainty around bagging the big UFAs or trade targets).

Exactly. They could probably piece together a team that squeaks into the playoffs only to get bounced early, so what changed from the last few years. They will have accomplished nothing in the big picture nd to me that's the worst case scenario. All the talk about doing it right and it sure sounds like more of the same is still a likely option.

I don't get the sense that there's a rush. There's much uncertainty in everything, isn't there? I mean look at Edmonton and Phx. They're "doing it the right way" and still sucking ass year after year, meanwhile other teams are proving it doesn't need to be so.

Dolan specifically said he "thinks" they can finished 8th. I mean, that's not really a rush job. That's being hopeful that every player takes a step forward and you get a little luck. They're hoping to do what the Devils and Flyers did which is a fair goal IMO.

I think they'll bring in young kids with older "leaders" to show them the way. To me, that's the right way to do it. I assume they'll do their homework on players like Tavares and Kovalchuck. Realistically, they'll need to fill out the lineup somehow. It can't be all draft picks.

Exactly. They could probably piece together a team that squeaks into the playoffs only to get bounced early, so what changed from the last few years. They will have accomplished nothing in the big picture nd to me that's the worst case scenario. All the talk about doing it right and it sure sounds like more of the same is still a likely option.

It's not the same at all. A young, inexperienced team squeezing into the playoffs after a season of serious growing pains is not the same as an old, slow, tired team that's been there 9 out of 10 seasons. It's actually a stark contrast.

I just don't think there's a realistic scenario to become a serious contender next year or even too. Could they continue down the same previous path of trying to paste together parts and pieces to still come up short of the ultimate goal - sure, and at the expense of doing it the right way with younger players and draft picks that will ned time to grow. I was really hoping this time was different. I love Hank but I'm not convinced he's not on a sharper decline that we had hoped and thought. His play was dreadful at times, the team around him was borderline junk, that may not change much on the back end but still he wasn't good.
Totally agree. When I said Hank didn't have "it", that was certainly vague but I didn't want to list the plethora of weaknesses he's shown this season. Because he's so beloved by the majority of N.Y. fans, I feel the need to refrain from criticizing his play on the ice. The defensive breakdown excuse was all too prevalent.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don't get the sense that there's a rush. There's much uncertainty in everything, isn't there? I mean look at Edmonton and Phx. They're "doing it the right way" and still sucking ass year after year, meanwhile other teams are proving it doesn't need to be so.

Dolan specifically said he "thinks" they can finished 8th. I mean, that's not really a rush job. That's being hopeful that every player takes a step forward and you get a little luck. They're hoping to do what the Devils and Flyers did which is a fair goal IMO.

I think they'll bring in young kids with older "leaders" to show them the way. To me, that's the right way to do it. I assume they'll do their homework on players like Tavares and Kovalchuck. Realistically, they'll need to fill out the lineup somehow. It can't be all draft picks.

Mailing it in this year and trying to compete next year feels rushed. Why not give the Hajek and Howdens a year in the A, get another high pick, and come loaded in 2019-20?

When I say uncertainty it means their plan is to sign JT and trade for EK65. Those aren't "locks".

It's not the same at all. A young, inexperienced team squeezing into the playoffs after a season of serious growing pains is not the same as an old, slow, tired team that's been there 9 out of 10 seasons. It's actually a stark contrast.

If you're plan is thinking they're going to role Kovalchuk in here as some kind of answer that's a short sighted approach to me. I can't not see any scenario where they land Taveras and EK and for EK at what price gutting a bunch of draft picks and cost controlled players while probably being forced to take on Ryan? That's a great plan and more of the same. The only easy get is probably Kovalchuk (which is more of the same). Even getting all three of those guys which won't happen doesn't make them a cup team. I just don't think there's any short cut to the ultimate goal. Getting Taveras at a high cap hit is the best of the three long term. On the flip side IF he wants to win he's not coming here to begin with. I still think the odds favor him staying where he is.

Stay the course and do it through unloading the dead wood and go with a youth movement we already know the other approach didn't work.

As for Dolan he's resume with the knicks and rangers is one of futility in the big picture. So the less he says the better. He should stick to fighting with Oakley, that's what he's most known for the last few years along with throwing people (Hornacek and others) under the bus.

If you're plan is thinking they're going to role Kovalchuk in here as some kind of answer that's a short sighted approach to me. I can't not see any scenario where they land Taveras and EK and for EK at what price gutting a bunch of draft picks and cost controlled players while probably being forced to take on Ryan? That's a great plan and more of the same. The only easy get is probably Kovalchuk (which is more of the same). Even getting all three of those guys which won't happen doesn't make them a cup team. I just don't think there's any short cut to the ultimate goal. Getting Taveras at a high cap hit is the best of the three long term. On the flip side IF he wants to win he's not coming here to begin with. I still think the odds favor him staying where he is.

Stay the course and do it through unloading the dead wood and go with a youth movement we already know the other approach didn't work.

As for Dolan he's resume with the knicks and rangers is one of futility in the big picture. So the less he says the better. He should stick to fighting with Oakley, that's what he's most known for the last few years along with throwing people (Hornacek and others) under the bus.

Answer? Answer to what? The team sucks. They have half a roster. You need someone to play the games. If Kovalchuk wants to come here, why not him? You said "more of the same" but I'm not sure what the means. More of the same of what?

Resigning Grabner and Nash and hanging on to Zucc would be more of the same. Trading all our first round picks would be more of the same. Having a young roster with a few vets sprinkled in would not. What does it matter if its Kovalchuk or anyone else?

You're going way down the rabbit hole on what-ifs. There's no chance all these rumors come to fruition. And I don't think anyone is under the impression this team is playing for the cup next year. Dolan himself said he hopes they can finish 8th. Not really a lofty expectation if you ask me.

Mailing it in this year and trying to compete next year feels rushed. Why not give the Hajek and Howdens a year in the A, get another high pick, and come loaded in 2019-20?

When I say uncertainty it means their plan is to sign JT and trade for EK65. Those aren't "locks".

Every team is trying to compete. Let's not mistake that. Buffalo didn't plan on being the worst team this year. Maybe they mailed it in once the wheels fell off but their management thought they had a good team. I did too, in September. Rangers will do the same but with some stipulation.

If you can get a top line center like Tavares, I think you get him. He's not available next summer -- which would be best for our timeline -- he's available now. He may not be the "final piece" to a cup, but he could be the starting piece. Whether or not he wants to be that is another story.

Trading for Karlsson makes absolutely no sense unless they're giving him away. So I'll hold off from commenting on that until there's more because I don't really believe they'll push hard for him.

Per Hajek and Howden, I'm working under the assumption they won't make the NHL team next year. Like you said. No rush.

Answer? Answer to what? The team sucks. They have half a roster. You need someone to play the games. If Kovalchuk wants to come here, why not him? You said "more of the same" but I'm not sure what the means. More of the same of what?

Resigning Grabner and Nash and hanging on to Zucc would be more of the same. Trading all our first round picks would be more of the same. Having a young roster with a few vets sprinkled in would not. What does it matter if its Kovalchuk or anyone else?

You're going way down the rabbit hole on what-ifs. There's no chance all these rumors come to fruition. And I don't think anyone is under the impression this team is playing for the cup next year. Dolan himself said he hopes they can finish 8th. Not really a lofty expectation if you ask me.

Simple - bringing in a guy years too late and for what to put a small bit of polish on a huge turd to maybe help squeeze into the 8th slot? Hell we've never seen that before now have we?

Simple - bringing in a guy years too late and for what to put a small bit of polish on a huge turd to maybe help squeeze into the 8th slot? Hell we've never seen that before now have we?

I mean, if a team full of young guys is a turd then you're in for some shit.

Who do you propose actually play the games while most of the prospects play in the AHL, College, KHL, etc. next season?

Somebody should tell Dolan that leadership starts with him and he?s been a disaster from day 1 here.

The rangers owe hank nothing and hank owes the rangers nothing.

Stating they want to contend next year is hopefully just window dressing. Any serious franchise or gm understands you cannot rebuild in six months and expect a good ending to your efforts. This team should stay clear of all long term contracts rebuild their foundation and depth. Maybe they get lucky a draft a franchise player if not this summer is not the time to chase one who?s 27 or older.

The rangers did it right last time. They just happened to have a rejuvenated jagr walk through the door and a kid come out of nowhere to take the crease to lessen the growing pains. Years later they officially went all in by trading some of that depth for the player that would put them over the top. Rick Nash one of the games premier goal scorers and power forwards. It just didn?t happen but it was the right model. The biggest mistake was not knowing when to show restraint in the latter years ala yandle, Staal, etc. this francise would be in much better shape if they had.

Regardless the ?success? this franchise likes to boast about for the past 14 years or so was not built overnight. It took time to become a contender. There is no shortcut here when you are on such a weak foundation.

Every team is trying to compete. Let's not mistake that. Buffalo didn't plan on being the worst team this year. Maybe they mailed it in once the wheels fell off but their management thought they had a good team. I did too, in September. Rangers will do the same but with some stipulation.

If you can get a top line center like Tavares, I think you get him. He's not available next summer -- which would be best for our timeline -- he's available now. He may not be the "final piece" to a cup, but he could be the starting piece. Whether or not he wants to be that is another story.

Trading for Karlsson makes absolutely no sense unless they're giving him away. So I'll hold off from commenting on that until there's more because I don't really believe they'll push hard for him.

Per Hajek and Howden, I'm working under the assumption they won't make the NHL team next year. Like you said. No rush.

Every team is realistic about their chances tho.

It's also not as simple as "If you want JT, get him." He has to want to come here.

They wanted Chara and Guerin, who both laughed at playing for us.

Somebody should tell Dolan that leadership starts with him and he’s been a disaster from day 1 here.

The rangers owe hank nothing and hank owes the rangers nothing.

Stating they want to contend next year is hopefully just window dressing. Any serious franchise or gm understands you cannot rebuild in six months and expect a good ending to your efforts. This team should stay clear of all long term contracts rebuild their foundation and depth. Maybe they get lucky a draft a franchise player if not this summer is not the time to chase one who’s 27 or older.

The rangers did it right last time. They just happened to have a rejuvenated jagr walk through the door and a kid come out of nowhere to take the crease to lessen the growing pains. Years later they officially went all in by trading some of that depth for the player that would put them over the top. Rick Nash one of the games premier goal scorers and power forwards. It just didn’t happen but it was the right model. The biggest mistake was not knowing when to show restraint in the latter years ala yandle, Staal, etc. this francise would be in much better shape if they had.

Regardless the “success” this franchise likes to boast about for the past 14 years or so was not built overnight. It took time to become a contender. There is no shortcut here when you are on such a weak foundation.

It's also not as simple as "If you want JT, get him." He has to want to come here.

Yes both nailed it.

Agreed. That's exactly what I said. I just don't think it's "rushing" anything to bring him or someone like him in. In fact, I think it's necessary to have someone like that.

They should be patient on any big dollar, high-price acquisition, be it trade or FA. No matter how “accelerated” this re-build is, it’s wholly unrealistic to think they’re going to be contending for anything more than a WC berth and an earlier playoff exit for probably a minimum of 2 seasons. And that’s an optimistic view. With the amount of very young and inexperienced players they’re going to bring in and play, growing pains should very much be expected.

Even with a J.T. or Karlsson, or the now seemingly available Drew Doughty, they still have major holes and question marks.

I’d want no part of moving major pieces like picks and prospects for Doughty or Karlsson right now. If however, they like where they are next season, those 2 are both UFA next summer.

I’m all about them taking their lumps with the kids and seeing what happens.

Archived