• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Rangers Captain?

I do think we should have a captain rather than just some assistants. We should wait until the dust clears on the roster at the end of training camp before choosing one. I think Kreider should be a serious candidate. He has a bigger more outgoing personality than McD, and I think being captain might help to keep him focused and perhaps cut down on his dry spells. He's arguably the most intelligent and thoughtful player on the team. With several Ruskies on the team and more probably on the way, his language skills and ability to contact with those guys could be a real plus.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s the thing with guessing who should get letters, we can’t base it off how a guy gives an interview on tv or what WE think his personality is. There’s limited to 0 knowledge as to what goes on in any locker room and who would be a good fit for a “C” or even an alternate. Different teams have different personalities and you need to find the right guy(s) that fit that personality. Not sure where people get the idea that a guy with a letter needs to be an in your face guy on or off the ice. Try that regularly with 19 guys in a locker room and chances are it will divide the group. People complained about McD because he was too quiet, 1. How the fuck do you know he was quiet? 2. He’s everything a leader should be by his attitude and effort every shift. He lead by example. It’s not about the loudest guy, the best producing guy, the most popular guy. Letters don’t get handed out that way.

How surprised was everyone when the video came out of Girardi reading the starting line up in the Winter Classic?

What about St. Louis sounding off the line up before a playoff game?

That's amazing, really, barely top 20 in the league and only 23 points less than McDavid who's how many years younger and on a garbage team as well?
Trolling?

He's in top 10 for centerman in points and goals.

You're comparing him to a guy who's a generational talent in McDavid to a top 10 player in his position and shitting on him for not being the best...Like saying that Mike Bossy sucked because he didn't score as many points as Gretzky who was 4 years younger the year Gretz scored 215 points.

I don't know what kind of obsucre point you're trying to make with the 4.5 goals a month after October, but that still averages out to 27 goals over a season, which would still put him in the top 20 for centers. But right now he's got 35...So why get creative with the math?

I'm not making a case for or against signing the guy, but if you're saying he doesn't make the players around him better, then Anders Lee, Josh Bailey and Matt Moulson would like a word.

Here?s the thing with guessing who should get letters, we can?t base it off how a guy gives an interview on tv or what WE think his personality is. There?s limited to 0 knowledge as to what goes on in any locker room and who would be a good fit for a ?C? or even an alternate. Different teams have different personalities and you need to find the right guy(s) that fit that personality. Not sure where people get the idea that a guy with a letter needs to be an in your face guy on or off the ice. Try that regularly with 19 guys in a locker room and chances are it will divide the group. People complained about McD because he was too quiet, 1. How the fuck do you know he was quiet? 2. He?s everything a leader should be by his attitude and effort every shift. He lead by example. It?s not about the loudest guy, the best producing guy, the most popular guy. Letters don?t get handed out that way.

How surprised was everyone when the video came out of Girardi reading the starting line up in the Winter Classic?

What about St. Louis sounding off the line up before a playoff game?

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Barely top 20 in the league and only 23 points less than McDavid who's how many years younger and on a garbage team as well?

Barely in the top 20. Lol. No, you’re right, he’s 16th and only 5 points ahead from the 21st spot. Oh, he’s also only 5 pts behind the 10th spot, Phil Kessel, who plays on a line with that scrub Malkin and on the pp with that Crosby fellow.

agree to disagree, not sure how you discount Crosby not elevating others. Tavares is the shiny toy that maybe dangling out there and I think that's the draw. He hasn't even carried himself since the end of Oct he's only avg 4.4 goals a month - that's pathetic. Hopefully he signs an outrageous 8 year deal to stay where he is.

No need for such a player here.. ONLY 4.4 goals a month? No need for a 30+ goal scorer who puts up another 40-50 points in assists. How is that pathetic? Hes 7 goals behind McDavid in the 5 spot, and 5 goals behind his linemate in the 7th spot...

This guy is putting assist totals that are almost equal to most Rangers total points leaders in the last few years.

The draw is a top 10-15 offensive player in his prime. Something the Rangers have not had in many many years, nor will they have in many many years. Hes a generational talent that is available to them at the cost of nothing but money, which they will have.

No need for such a player here.. ONLY 4.4 goals a month? No need for a 30+ goal scorer who puts up another 40-50 points in assists. How is that pathetic? Hes 7 goals behind McDavid in the 5 spot, and 5 goals behind his linemate in the 7th spot...

This guy is putting assist totals that are almost equal to most Rangers total points leaders in the last few years.

The draw is a top 10-15 offensive player in his prime. Something the Rangers have not had in many many years, nor will they have in many many years. Hes a generational talent that is available to them at the cost of nothing but money, which they will have.

This.

Sign him and be done with it. We NEED him, especially if we want to compete right away, IMO.

no way he comes here imo, nor does he leave the Islanders, he was quoted earlier today he's looking forward to seeing Barzal finish the season and also looking forward towards the future. Barzal has just two less points than JT.

?His game keeps getting better and he?s just scratching the surface,? Tavares said. ?There?s a lot of excitement in our group for him. Especially a guy with his talent and his drive to be successful, I?m excited to finish the season with him and looking forward to the future.?

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/john-tavares-on-mathew-barzal-looking-forward-to-the-future-1.17831403

To me that reads like, "I'm excited to watch this kid play three more games, and can't wait to to sign somewhere else and play some playoff hockey."

I think JT re-signs in BK, a la Stamkos. With Barzal?s emergence and the rest of the offense playing well, they might think they?rea FA signing and trade away from being true contenders. Goalie? Idk. Their D? Idk.

But I think JT sticks it out another year or two after signing a fair deal. Then they tradd him.

NYR captain? No clue. We don?t know these guys in the locker room. Mikey hit the nail on the head with his post.

Archived