• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers 2018 RFAs Ready to Cash In

Phil

I think it's a combination of this and also a wake up call to some guys to play harder or they could be next in the off season.

The trade deadline looming is definitely an issue for players. Literally, the only guys playing were Nash and Grabner, and that's because they knew the rumors, and were hoping to do anything but get traded.

For a young kid, with less experience, that's never been through a trade, to hear rumors and possibilities that you might wind up a Coyote or Sabre for the next portion of your career is nerve-racking.

Since the deadline, you dont see the same "tightness", but I still dont think you see guys playing much harder, consistently. Hayes is the biggest stand out, and I dont think he's trying harder, I just think hes "back to playing hockey", skate, keep it simple, get shots on net, crash the net.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course, no team will purposefully be bad. But the Rangers need to view next season with a look to 2020 and beyond. That means:

1) You identify 4-5 young(ish) players who you really believe in. They will get all the ice time they need to develop even if they don't quite perform. You construct the roster around furthering their development - nothing else.

2) You focus all deals on long-term value. If you believe 100% in Skjei, then go for an expensive 7-year deal.

3) You keep the dead weight around to ease future buy-outs. If that means burying almost $10M worth of D in Smith and Staal for 82 games - so be it.

4) You give plenty of chances to unproven AHL guys to see what we have in them.

5) You only take in older players if they are good characters who will aid the development of the youngsters and help build a strong culture for the new-look Rangers.

If that lands you in 16th or 31st spot - so be it. In my opinion, that's how you tank without being pathetic and hurting the image/culture of your franchise.

Can't get anymore dead on than this....

most of it contradicts something else

Are we keeping non-character guys on contract, or are we signing character guys, or guys that are there for the development of young guys?

You want to develop a winning reputation, but you are playing guys that wont be good until 2021 and unproven AHLers that will plug holes once the guys that were supposed to develop develop, but they dont develop because they were stuck playing with AHLers their first 3 seasons in the league.

Establishing a core, but signing long-term deals with other guys, so when your core is due contracts, theres no money, so you are buying out Smith and Staal type contracts, only to take away more cap space when the next 4 or 5 guys are due contracts.

"Everything great will happen in 2 years, then we can get rid of all the bad stuff."

no.

The Rangers are not waiting 4 or 5 years to see what happens.

You do what you can for now, without jeopardizing your future.

I'll bet just about anything that your boy Lias will develop a hell of a lot better playing on a winning team backstopped by Lundqvist than he would playing with the current Hartford squad, against NHL teams next season.

Just because a team is trying to win, doesnt mean your prospect pool is weak, or your current prospects wont develop.

Gotta deal one of these RFA forwards for some kind of top 4 defender. I don't like Vesey, so he can go, but I don't see a great return in trade. I guess you have to bridge him or let him go. I don't think anyone will want to pay him.

I'm really liking Spooner. Have to see how the season ends and what his demands are. Do you keep him or Hayes? Spooners ability to move to any forward position seems like a value this team should have interest in, with both Chytil and Andersson both being centers and the teams current top prospects, along with Howden also being a center.

Hayes has become what we feel is a valuable role player as a shut down type of center. Do you pay that player, when it seems like Andersson is primed to take that ro;e inna year or two?

I think Hayes might be able to land a youngish (not over 30) 2nd pair D man in trade.

Gotta lock up Skjei.

These forwards future has to be figured out before draft day, especially if they are thinking of going for JT days later.

Win the lottery, draft Dahlin, trade Hayes and Vesey for D.

Kreider- JT- Zib

Spooner- Names- Buch

Roussel- Chytil- Zuc

Belensky- Andersson- You/me

Skjei- Shattenkirk

Trade- Dahlin

Staal- my mom

My cat, Lettieri, Bigras, Smith as extras

Lundqvist

Raanta (FA)

Having, Zib, Names, and Spooner as potential line centers gives them plenty of options for prospect growth. All can move to the wing if they have to, or to try something else. Maybe Chytil or Andersson move up quickly to that spot. All these guys can and have played wing with results (not sure pf Zibs #'s). Hayes hasn't.

But do you give the rookie that role as a defensive forward? How often has that worked out well for the prospect?

I agree with a lot of this, but there is no way we'll get both JT and Dahlin, most likely none of them. I give us around 10% chance of signing JT and the odds for us winning the lottery is around 5-6% with the current position?

Kreids - Zib - Buch

Zuc - Chytil - Names

Spooner - Hayes - Vesey

VL - Lias/Boo/FA - Fast

Skjei - Pionk

Staal - Shattenkirk

Gilmour - FA/trade

Hank

Giorgiev

I think this is the best lineup we can ice at the start of next season. Draft BEST TALENT with every pick this year, let them develop at the right place and see where the season goes. Maybe one of Chytil/Lias has a monster rookie season, the KZB line stays healthy and Lundqvist is on top of his game.

I just dont want them to stress things. I know they won't deliberately lose/tank, but dont trade away assets just to try and sneak in to the playoffs. That group of players are very young (only Zuc, Staal and Hank over 30). See who takes responsibility and who wants to be a part of the core. If someone underperfom trade them for young assets and let some new prospects get the chance (Howden, Hajek, Bereg, this year picks, new players back from trade).

Archived