• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers 2018 RFAs Ready to Cash In

Phil

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because true rebuilds don't happen in one season?

There’s different ways to approach it. Each team does it differently according to their current cap situation, personnel situation, and pipeline situation. Some teams have to suck for multiple years, some are slightly below average, some are average. It’s up to the management and staff to push the right buttons. In the last 5 or so seasons Winnipeg, Carolina, Fla, Dallas and some others have been up and down squads. They’ve been steadily getting better the past 2-3 years while not completely being dog shit. The Rangers are in a more demanding market as well. They can’t afford to have 2 teams in the Garden to be perrenial losers. Will their method work? It’s anyone’s guess. If winning the cup is the only determining factor in people’s minds, they might see it differently. To be in the position to win every year is not easy, and that’s all we can ask for while hoping things go right one spring to the ultimate goal.

There?s different ways to approach it. Each team does it differently according to their current cap situation, personnel situation, and pipeline situation. Some teams have to suck for multiple years, some are slightly below average, some are average. It?s up to the management and staff to push the right buttons. In the last 5 or so seasons Winnipeg, Carolina, Fla, Dallas and some others have been up and down squads. They?ve been steadily getting better the past 2-3 years while not completely being dog shit. The Rangers are in a more demanding market as well. They can?t afford to have 2 teams in the Garden to be perrenial losers. Will their method work? It?s anyone?s guess. If winning the cup is the only determining factor in people?s minds, they might see it differently. To be in the position to win every year is not easy, and that?s all we can ask for while hoping things go right one spring to the ultimate goal.
The deck is seriously stacked against them competing next year. Even with Tavares.

Because true rebuilds don't happen in one season?

Pete, I think you're right on, man. To tell you the truth I really see the Rangers "re-build" coinciding with Hank's contract expiring. I just don't see us signing any really high priced franchise player as long as we're toting Hank into his late 30's pulling in $10 million a season.

Not that Hank hasn't been a brilliant Ranger...he's been fabulous. I just tend to agree with the fact that it's going to be a while before some of these players either mature and/or some of the current ones in their late 20's and early 30's have moved on. I think 3 years is going to do the trick. It's going to be tough to watch a rebuild, but if they show some promise and keep to the script in NOT TRYING TO RUSH THIS THING, I'll be okay with it.

The window on this version of the Rangers is pretty much done....time to wipe the slate and give it another go, with another influx of players.

The coaching staff as well....these guys are going to eventually go, and that's also a good thing, because I think we've all seen enough of this act by now, and they ain't winning with that bunch back there. Other than the goalie coach, the rest are done!

I don't see it as a function of time, more a function of assets.

They had a bottom 5 farm system. After the draft they'll have a top 5 farm system.

But that farm system, unless something crazy happens, won't translate to success on NHL ice next year.

I can believe that they're going to be big spenders in the offseason to try to expedite the rebuild, but it's much healthier for the organization, long-term, to be patient with it.

But that farm system, unless something crazy happens, won't translate to success on NHL ice next year.

I can believe that they're going to be big spenders in the offseason to try to expedite the rebuild, but it's much healthier for the organization, long-term, to be patient with it.

I agree, I'm not advocating going crazy in FA. Just a solid 3rd pair D-man and one of, or some combination of, Kovy/Nash/Grabner on a team friendly deal.

Let's have some fun.

I agree, I'm not advocating going crazy in FA. Just a solid 3rd pair D-man and one of, or some combination of, Kovy/Nash/Grabner on a team friendly deal.

Let's have some fun.

Fair enough - but I'm not spending a dollar on a depth defenseman next year. Between Shatty, Staal, Gilmour, DeAngelo, there are plenty of bodies for the third pair. That's not even counting Bereglazov, Smith (LOL, jk) or one of Rykov & Hajek being ready.

Sjkei - Pionk

Staal - ADA

Gilmour - Shatty

Would be plenty of fun lol

Fair enough - but I'm not spending a dollar on a depth defenseman next year. Between Shatty, Staal, Gilmour, DeAngelo, there are plenty of bodies for the third pair. That's not even counting Bereglazov, Smith (LOL, jk) or one of Rykov & Hajek being ready.

Sjkei - Pionk

Staal - ADA

Gilmour - Shatty

Would be plenty of fun lol

If you anticipate that being the D corps for next season, I can almost guarantee you they will make a trade for a big name defenseman. They are NOT icing that squad next season.

If you anticipate that being the D corps for next season, I can almost guarantee you they will make a trade for a big name defenseman. They are NOT icing that squad next season.

If they don't plan on being a contender next year it could be that or something similar. If they sign Tavares, they won't really have the dollars to do much else.

Of course, no team will purposefully be bad. But the Rangers need to view next season with a look to 2020 and beyond. That means:

1) You identify 4-5 young(ish) players who you really believe in. They will get all the ice time they need to develop even if they don't quite perform. You construct the roster around furthering their development - nothing else.

2) You focus all deals on long-term value. If you believe 100% in Skjei, then go for an expensive 7-year deal.

3) You keep the dead weight around to ease future buy-outs. If that means burying almost $10M worth of D in Smith and Staal for 82 games - so be it.

4) You give plenty of chances to unproven AHL guys to see what we have in them.

5) You only take in older players if they are good characters who will aid the development of the youngsters and help build a strong culture for the new-look Rangers.

If that lands you in 16th or 31st spot - so be it. In my opinion, that's how you tank without being pathetic and hurting the image/culture of your franchise.

If they don't plan on being a contender next year it could be that or something similar. If they sign Tavares, they won't really have the dollars to do much else.

Tavares or not, they do plan on contending. Not a “cup or bust” mentality going in, but they do want to be a playoff team.

Of course, no team will purposefully be bad. But the Rangers need to view next season with a look to 2020 and beyond. That means:

1) You identify 4-5 young(ish) players who you really believe in. They will get all the ice time they need to develop even if they don't quite perform. You construct the roster around furthering their development - nothing else.

2) You focus all deals on long-term value. If you believe 100% in Skjei, then go for an expensive 7-year deal.

3) You keep the dead weight around to ease future buy-outs. If that means burying almost $10M worth of D in Smith and Staal for 82 games - so be it.

4) You give plenty of chances to unproven AHL guys to see what we have in them.

5) You only take in older players if they are good characters who will aid the development of the youngsters and help build a strong culture for the new-look Rangers.

If that lands you in 16th or 31st spot - so be it. In my opinion, that's how you tank without being pathetic and hurting the image/culture of your franchise.

Agree with all of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Do any of you guys really expect the Rangers organization to go into next season thinking they won't be a playoff team?

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only who's noticed a much greater effort from the players since trading Miller and McDonagh.

It’s not who was traded, it’s because the deadline has passed and everyone is a lot looser. No one gripping their sticks or having anxiety over if, when, and where they’ll be moved to.

It’s not who was traded, it’s because the deadline has passed and everyone is a lot looser. No one gripping their sticks or having anxiety over if, when, and where they’ll be moved to.

I think it's a combination of this and also a wake up call to some guys to play harder or they could be next in the off season.

Archived