• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

As Much As I Would Love a Top-Five Pick...

jamsim67

Yes but the difference is the odds in moving down? At 6 the worst you can pick is 9 and the chances of dropping 3 spots is almost the same as picking in the top 3 I believe. At 10 you could pick 13. That?s a huge difference in talent 6 compared to 13.

To me it has nothing to do with Dahlin. That would be a huge bonus. To me what is the worst case scenario in where we finish? Finishing 10th could end up being almost the same as qualifying for the playoffs as the 16thteam if the lottery goes wrong. It going wrong has the same odds of it going right

Yea but its highly unlikely that at 10, 3 of the 5 teams behind you all move up.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some are missing the point, I'm leery about trading assets to select a potential Erik Karlsson when we already may have a potential McD. I tend to covet elite forwards more, more importantly centermen if we were trading up to the 1 spot. So in my opinion, there's no need to trade up to get the 1st pick. This has nothing to do with overrating our prospects.

Some are missing the point, I'm leery about trading assets to select a potential Erik Karlsson when we already may have a potential McD. I tend to covet elite forwards more, more importantly centermen if we were trading up to the 1 spot. So in my opinion, there's no need to trade up to get the 1st pick. This has nothing to do with overrating our prospects.

I think most are looking to get into the top 4. 1 might too big of a stretch.

I think our (fans) target seem to be a big bodied winger, expected to go 2, 3 & 4.

That's where I'd disagree. Dahl?n is a talent that absolutely changes your team. I agree that I'd much rather have a dynamic forward than a dynamic defenseman, but in no way is Hajek influencing my decision. Hajek doesn't stop you from getting Dahl?n if possible. Nothing short of a severe overpayment should. You don't decline that kind of talent. Hajek has potential to be good but to call him McDonagh is to rate him beyond his actual ceiling. Calling Dahl?n Karlsson doesn't remotely describe Dahl?n's play. They're not remotely alike aside from being dynamic Swedish defensemen. That is literally it.

That's where I'd disagree. Dahl?n is a talent that absolutely changes your team. I agree that I'd much rather have a dynamic forward than a dynamic defenseman, but in no way is Hajek influencing my decision. Hajek doesn't stop you from getting Dahl?n if possible. Nothing short of a severe overpayment should. You don't decline that kind of talent. Hajek has potential to be good but to call him McDonagh is to rate him beyond his actual ceiling. Calling Dahl?n Karlsson doesn't remotely describe Dahl?n's play. They're not remotely alike aside from being dynamic Swedish defensemen. That is literally it.

I?m not saying he?s completely influencing the decision but having him helps and I just dont? see Dahlin being worth the amount of assets we will need to get there. If it was Crosby, I would overpay.

They got their Dahlin already in Hajek, there?s no need trade their way to the 1st pick.

That?s what I was responding too regarding the two. Trading up would only depend on the cost to me. I would gather it would be way more than I want to pay. However Hajek is not Dahlin. Even if by some chance he bacons a star, I?ll still take two

That?s what I was responding too regarding the two. Trading up would only depend on the cost to me. I would gather it would be way more than I want to pay. However Hajek is not Dahlin. Even if by some chance he bacons a star, I?ll still take two

I should?ve explained it better with my original post.

Yea - outside of getting extremely lucky or bribing the sweet bejesus out of Bettman, the Rangers were never going to get Dahlin. As far as getting a top-3 pick, you're not in a much different spot at 10th-worst than you are at 6th-worst. It's only a 9% difference.

Im not entirely sure its impossible the Rangers walk away with the first pick. I'd think the league needs the Rangers to be a drawing card. They would want them to rebuild quickly. Conspiracy theories would say most of these lotteries are fixed to push an agenda and help certain teams/markets. Maybe, just maybe the NHL will bend the rules this one time to advance this rebuild. Dahlin to the Rangers, with Tavares signing a week later.. Rebuild 75% complete.

Im not entirely sure its impossible the Rangers walk away with the first pick. I'd think the league needs the Rangers to be a drawing card. They would want them to rebuild quickly. Conspiracy theories would say most of these lotteries are fixed to push an agenda and help certain teams/markets. Maybe, just maybe the NHL will bend the rules this one time to advance this rebuild. Dahlin to the Rangers, with Tavares signing a week later.. Rebuild 75% complete.

Sure, except what good is New Jersey getting the pick? Or Edmonton 12 seasons in a row? It's not rigged and the Rangers' chances of landing at the top (or bottom) are slim. I think there's a play to trade into the top 5 but there's no chance they get #1 overall.

Sure, except what good is New Jersey getting the pick? Or Edmonton 12 seasons in a row? It's not rigged and the Rangers' chances of landing at the top (or bottom) are slim. I think there's a play to trade into the top 5 but there's no chance they get #1 overall.

NJ needed a franchise player/better than average player. They got one. They are back in the playoff hunt and hes probably out scoring every Ranger.... . Edmonton should be way better than they are. They took a huge step back this year.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks teams are given opportunities to draft higher than they should. Sometimes more than once or twice. What they do with the team from there on out is on them. Pittsburgh was going to move... Crosby, Malkin, Fleury get drafted and a a dynasty is born.

Edmonton i think had problems drawing and were also rumored to be thinking of relocating (that may have been years ago, I may be wrong on the time frame). Hall, RNH, Yakupov, McDavid, should have been enough along with other top 8 or so picks to turn them around.

Its a stretch I admit, but i have a feeling, things are shaping up to maybe push this ahead for the Rangers.

The Rangers don't just give up on the playoffs, sell everything including their captain and best D man, for just anything. There's a big incentive there. Gotta be.

Well the Canadiens are there needing the same and even more in need is Ottawa who have one foot out the door to relocation. The rangers meanwhile have missed the playoffs once in the past decade and sell out every game. So if the fix is in its probably not the rangers.

NJ needed a franchise player/better than average player. They got one. They are back in the playoff hunt and hes probably out scoring every Ranger.... . Edmonton should be way better than they are. They took a huge step back this year.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks teams are given opportunities to draft higher than they should. Sometimes more than once or twice. What they do with the team from there on out is on them. Pittsburgh was going to move... Crosby, Malkin, Fleury get drafted and a a dynasty is born.

Edmonton i think had problems drawing and were also rumored to be thinking of relocating (that may have been years ago, I may be wrong on the time frame). Hall, RNH, Yakupov, McDavid, should have been enough along with other top 8 or so picks to turn them around.

Its a stretch I admit, but i have a feeling, things are shaping up to maybe push this ahead for the Rangers.

The Rangers don't just give up on the playoffs, sell everything including their captain and best D man, for just anything. There's a big incentive there. Gotta be.

Of course there's incentive. The incentive is to draft as star player. But it sounds like you're implying that the NHL whispered in their ear to take the fall when in reality the writing has been on the wall here for three seasons. The run was over.

Hopefully they get lucky and slide into the top 3 but like I said, odds are not in their favor. If you suck you pick first. There is no conspiracy.

EDIT: as said above, there are other teams with bigger needs than the Rangers.

Of course there's incentive. The incentive is to draft as star player. But it sounds like you're implying that the NHL whispered in their ear to take the fall when in reality the writing has been on the wall here for three seasons. The run was over.

Hopefully they get lucky and slide into the top 3 but like I said, odds are not in their favor. If you suck you pick first. There is no conspiracy.

EDIT: as said above, there are other teams with bigger needs than the Rangers.

We'll see. Im assuming a lot.

Archived