• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Quick Hits: Rangers Suddenly Deep at C, but D May Kill Hank

Nope. But prime Duncan Keith and they are probably a bubble squad, because there'd be a significant improvement in shot suppression from a player playing nearly half the game every night.

But Skjei is no Duncan Keith, nor will he ever be. At best he will be a complimentary 1st pair D or a solid second pair anchor. Draisatl could easily be a true #1C putting up a ppg every season for the next 10 years.

You could argue that even without Dahlin, this years draft got potentially 3-4 other Skjei's, but no one comes close to a legit first line center or have the talent that Draisatl got.

There are still options to get D's if we do a trade like Skjei, Zib+ for Drai. We would have the #1C and #3C locked With Drai and Hayes. Vlad/Spooner can also play C and we got three prospect who all will (most likely) be NHLers in Chytil, Andersson and Howden. We could easily trade 1-2 of them + something for someone like OEL, Karlsson(?), Dumba, Ellis, Ekholm, Carlo etc.

I don't see Skjei ever being a top pair defenseman. He struggled when he had to be on the top pair this season.

This team needs a top pair d and a legitimate goal scorer to ever be a Cup contender.

He's a top-pair D, he's just not a #1.

He has the tools to he that, but night in night out he plays like shit.

Maybe it's an experience thing, maybe it's not.

I just get a sense that due to the lack of experience on the team and the D corps specifically he is trying to do too much at the moment. I think experience is a big part of simplifying the game.

Could have something to do with all the defenseman not named Holden looking like shit this year?

He, like a lot of other guys, doesn't compete every night. When he's engaged, he's real good. When he's not, every area of his game slips.

He's like McDonagh in that he needs to use his legs to be effective, and he just doesn't always do it.

But Skjei is no Duncan Keith, nor will he ever be. At best he will be a complimentary 1st pair D or a solid second pair anchor. Draisatl could easily be a true #1C putting up a ppg every season for the next 10 years.

You could argue that even without Dahlin, this years draft got potentially 3-4 other Skjei's, but no one comes close to a legit first line center or have the talent that Draisatl got.

There are still options to get D's if we do a trade like Skjei, Zib+ for Drai. We would have the #1C and #3C locked With Drai and Hayes. Vlad/Spooner can also play C and we got three prospect who all will (most likely) be NHLers in Chytil, Andersson and Howden. We could easily trade 1-2 of them + something for someone like OEL, Karlsson(?), Dumba, Ellis, Ekholm, Carlo etc.

Posts like this ... trade this prospect for that guy, trade that prospect for this guy ...

Make me wonder when are we ever going to have the patience to see what we have got, go through the process, before shipping them out. Building a base with cap control/certainty and young talent is still worth pursuing.

We are a long way off, it's going to take time some might as well have patience with the Chytils, Howdens and Anderssons before trading them sight unseen.

I am in agreement that a true top-tier #1 center is very important, but there are some NHL Rangers that I would consider moving first who, although they are productive and talented, but who maybe don't necessarily have the killer instincts, the toughness, guts and tenacity a cup contender requires. Not including Kreider and Zuccarello, they are players who have been around a couple of years already and although they are productive and talented, are coming up short in the other winning attributes. So yes, at this point I am wiling to discuss a Zibs+Buch or others, for Draisatl ...

But I would hate to let a future potential top-line forward with leadership attributes like Andersson go...unless there's certainty among our scouts/management that he does not "have it" like Korpikoski didn't "have it." Heck, management let a gift like Marchessault walk out of here and become #1 centers elsewhere. How does that even happen? -- some heads ought to roll there, and IDGAF that Florida blew it, too, or Columbus or some other bunch of monkey nuts blew it ... that's a fireable offense. Can't let it happen again.

Again, getting to top-5 contender status again is going to take plenty of time anyway, so might as well have patience and see what we have.

On a really good team I don't think Brady is a first pair guy. Solid second sure, until we stop expecting too much he'll tend to underwhelm imo. The defense is a dumpster fire and I don't think any of the young guys have shown really anything worth getting excited about. I think Phil said it best the D we're rolling out now is perfect for a tanking team.

Archived