• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Too Many Centers Too Few Defensemen

Sod16

We have plenty of defensemen. Whatever more they need they can supplement through the draft or free agency.

You want to see if Pionk, DeAngelo, and Gilmour can still take advantage of the opportunities they've had. Shattenkirk will be back, and Staal likely isn't going anywhere. Smith has another opportunity to redeem himself if he's also retained. Then you have some guys who aren't that far off. Rykov has one more year on his KHL deal, after which he will likely come over and have a shot at a spot given his professional play. Hajek will no doubt get considerable time in Hartford next season; he's not far off. I don't doubt that they'll use one of their first-round picks on a defenseman either. I don't think there's any point in using assets to fill in a position where you have a lot of young players. Right now is the best time to keep the spots open for younger players.

I'd try cutting bait with Shattenkirk early if they can. ADA is the same player at like a third of the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not yet. You have big contracts coming off in 3 years, guys will be ready to make an impact by then. No sense in worrying about that now. If the right deal comes along - sure, but that's no different than any other day.

Pionk, Gilmour and O'Gara are the defense you ice when tanking.

yes sir.

To answer the original question imo they don't have nearly enough NHL ready dman. They have a few that won't be here for years and as Pete pointed out some stiffs at this point in there careers.

In his time here Zib seems to have moved being a playmaker to a guy who wants to blast away with one timers. I wouldn't have considered it until recently, but perhaps some time on wing would be a good experiment with him.

You?ve probably watches more games than I have this year, but I don?t remember Zib taking any 1 t?s unless it was on the pp.

The assumption here is that every prospect will develop into the player projected. Mind you that none of these guys are can?t miss and it seems pretty much all of them will not be here until minimum 2019-2020 season. The rangers should forget the position and add the best talent. Talent is currency

looks like Bruce Driver out there.

Why'd you go say that? There are posters still trying to digest their most recent meals, you know. I hadn't thought about him in 15-20 years. Oh well, Neil Smith had it right. No problem with trading Zubov when you can get a guy like Driver to run the PP.

Tanking is fine for this year, but we currently have three NHL ready defensemen on the roster and we need more to field some come of team while waiting for some of these prospects to arrive AND, if we are lucky, have one in three turn out well.

Archived