• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Zuccarello: Traded or Made Captain?

Sod16

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever they do, don't rush it. I think the "C" hindered Callahan's game and hindered Mac's game. Symbolic or not, there is a lot of pressure that comes with it. Leetch took a nosedive once he got it. There was trepidation with Jagr. It's not a "no brainer" and to give it to a 20 year old is an issue IMO.

I think Zucc is a good candidate if he survives the draft but let the new staff pick the C. Honestly, though, is Hank not the actual captain? Why not do the Roberto Luongo?

I dont think Callahan was hindered. McDonagh either. I think it made some fans take a closer look at their games, but I dont think either was hindered by wearing the C.

Jagr was hindered by Renney trying to be the coach, when Jagr was previously acting in that role in his first season.

Henrik is a goalie - theyre weird. He's going to be quiet and concentrating on his game in the corner. Not telling guys to get their shit together between periods or during practice.

If the players and coaches feel he should wear it, fine. Can't argue with that.

My comment was based on what I've seen from players and the team, and how they respond to different situations.

I dont think Callahan was hindered. McDonagh either. I think it made some fans take a closer look at their games, but I dont think either was hindered by wearing the C.

Jagr was hindered by Renney trying to be the coach, when Jagr was previously acting in that role in his first season.

Henrik is a goalie - theyre weird. He's going to be quiet and concentrating on his game in the corner. Not telling guys to get their shit together between periods or during practice.

If the players and coaches feel he should wear it, fine. Can't argue with that.

My comment was based on what I've seen from players and the team, and how they respond to different situations.

We can't see what goes on inside the lockerroom but Hank has publicly told guys to get their shit together including giving a speech during a commercial timeout

Goalies won’t do that often.

Of course not. But it's clear to me, the person on the team who cares the most about the Rangers is Hank who essentially said, I want to be here no matter what.

I'm not saying he should be the captain, but of what's left (not much) he'd be my pick.

We can't see what goes on inside the lockerroom but Hank has publicly told guys to get their shit together including giving a speech during a commercial timeout

I highly doubt this is happening pre-game, in-game, between periods, though. He's usually in his own world during the games. If he's not, he's bad.

The JT thing just seems impossible, but objectively it makes so much sense. We have the cap space now, he wouldn't have to move, and even if we have a young rebuilding team, it will be better than three years taking a dilapidated school bus between Atlantic Avenue and Hempstead Turnpike. Doubt it happens, but JT to NYR is a pretty good fit.

Serious question - why in the world would he want to come here and play with what is likely to be a hot mess when it comes to being a serious contender for several years to come. IF he leaves the Islanders I would bet everything he signs with a serious contender. If winning isn't a top priority he might as well stay where he is.

Serious question - why in the world would he want to come here and play with what is likely to be a hot mess when it comes to being a serious contender for several years to come. IF he leaves the Islanders I would bet everything he signs with a serious contender. If winning isn't a top priority he might as well stay where he is.

The team has missed the playoffs once in his lifetime, and has been the most competitive non-cup winning team.

Edit: didnt finish my thought

If this is something he's thought about, he knows that they will be competitive, fast. They are willing to spend the price to acquire the necessary pieces to win - something he NEVER saw with the Islanders.

Certainly, this is a slight set-back in the pursuit of Tavares, but if this is something he's thought about, this shouldnt be much of an issue.

Give it time. The Rangers are not going into next season with the expectations of being a below average squad. All these moves are going to reinforce and be a backbone for a rebuild on the fly.

The team has missed the playoffs once in his lifetime, and has been the most competitive non-cup winning team.

Edit: didnt finish my thought

If this is something he's thought about, he knows that they will be competitive, fast. They are willing to spend the price to acquire the necessary pieces to win - something he NEVER saw with the Islanders.

Certainly, this is a slight set-back in the pursuit of Tavares, but if this is something he's thought about, this shouldnt be much of an issue.

yes the old team, which was a threat almost every year to a certain degree. That's not what we have now nor the near future. Can't wait for somebody to say bringing in Kovalchuk makes sense now. Might as well give him the C, I mean he's a stand up guy and an of his word, right? Perhaps the most selfish player of all time.

yes the old team, which was a threat almost every year to a certain degree. That's not what we have now nor the near future. Can't wait for somebody to say bringing in Kovalchuk makes sense now. Might as well give him the C, I mean he's a stand up guy and an of his word, right? Perhaps the most selfish player of all time.

True, but we went through a few different cores that were all successful. That's a sign of a good organization.

I dont disagree with what you said, just giving the other perspective.

As for Kovlachuk, I'm a big fan. Always will be. He has connections with a few of our Russian prospects, too. Not huge on the idea, but wouldnt mind getting him, at a low cost, for entertainment and a chance to flip him at the deadline for assets.

I will pick Kovalchuk over Paul Carey every day of the week.

Give it time. The Rangers are not going into next season with the expectations of being a below average squad. All these moves are going to reinforce and be a backbone for a rebuild on the fly.

so all of the underachievers and unproven new bodies whoever they might be (and I think it would purley be speculating who will even be here) are going to be very competitive. What backbone? Zuc, Hank and Kreider (who still lacks consistency).

they're junk now and have been for months and there's no proven studs that will be here next year to turn that around. Over the next few years - yes sure if most of these guys and picks pan out. I think it was Lawton and Co that pointed 6-8 years down the road to potentially win a cup.

Give it time is very true I don't think we agree on how many years that's going to be.

True, but we went through a few different cores that were all successful. That's a sign of a good organization.

I dont disagree with what you said, just giving the other perspective.

As for Kovlachuk, I'm a big fan. Always will be. He has connections with a few of our Russian prospects, too. Not huge on the idea, but wouldnt mind getting him, at a low cost, for entertainment and a chance to flip him at the deadline for assets.

I will pick Kovalchuk over Paul Carey every day of the week.

Soooooo you think he'd even consider for one second a team friendly low cost deal, I don't? Gonna probably have to get use to a few fillers like Carey for the foreseeable future.

Soooooo you think he'd even consider for one second a team friendly low cost deal, I don't? Gonna probably have to get use to a few fillers like Carey for the foreseeable future.

How Cheap we talking?

He will probably get dollar amount close to JT Miller would have gotten here. Without term.

over the next 2 season, who do I think will produce more between Miller or Kovalchuk? Kovi

2-4 years? Even.

In 4 years, will we another another player within the system that can replace Miller's production? Most likely.

How I view things with most prospects/players.

Captain has to face the press after every game, Zucc has admitted he's not confident in his English and honestly, sometimes his interviews are hard to watch. I think that would be the main reason he doesn't get the C. Somebody will though, New York is about tradition and I don't see them going without a Captain, probably Hank or Staal.....

Captain has to face the press after every game, Zucc has admitted he's not confident in his English and honestly, sometimes his interviews are hard to watch. I think that would be the main reason he doesn't get the C. Somebody will though, New York is about tradition and I don't see them going without a Captain, probably Hank or Staal.....

Lundqvist cant wear the C, he can only be a voice for the team in the locker room. Rangers will probably go with 3 A's the rest of the season. Re-evaluate next training camp for the C

I can go either way on Zuch; I can see trading him and I can also see keeping him. Either way, I can live with it. Making him Captain? Eh, I'm not so sure about that. I'd rather finish the season with no "C" on this team. No one out there has really earned it this season. Not saying Zucc hasn't put in the effort, but this whole season has been an abysmal fuck-fail.

Let one of the kids earn it next year.

Zuch can have an "A"....I wanna have a guy with some real leadership, not just a fan favorite.

There was a guy here once that had that...."Messy-something", yeah like him!!!

Archived