• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kovalchuk's Eyes on New York?

Fatfrancesa

You only go after him if you are also going after JT or something. He alone doesn't move the needle for this team, and there's no guarantee he'd be as effective in today's NHL.

Yeah, people said the same shit about Radulov, and were dead wrong there, too.

How can anyone want to sell this season and add Kovalchuk the next the same breath?

Easily. Sell Nash, Grabner, McDonagh, and others for high-end futures. Firsts, former firsts, and NHL-ready prospects. Bring back Nash and/or Grabner, sign Kovalchuk to a one-year deal and they dramatically improve their roster next season and replenish the pipeline with viable fallbacks and soon-to-be's.

Easily. Sell Nash, Grabner, McDonagh, and others for high-end futures. Firsts, former firsts, and NHL-ready prospects. Bring back Nash and/or Grabner, sign Kovalchuk to a one-year deal and they dramatically improve their roster next season and replenish the pipeline with viable fallbacks and soon-to-be's.

Only flaw in that logic is the defense would be traaaaaaaaaaash

what is a "rebuild on the fly?"

I know that's what was said, but what is it if it's not a veiled re-phrasing of rebuild? They're selling for picks. They're considering moving Mac and Zucc. If that's true, there's no denying what this is.

essentially, "Next year"

Only flaw in that logic is the defense would be traaaaaaaaaaash

Indeed. That might be remedied via the draft ans/or additional trades, though. The way I seen it, Nash and Grabner are getting firsts. That's three firsts this draft regardless and we haven't touched McDonagh or Zucc yet. There's no way you can't get back at least one NHL caliber defenseman for one of them. Maybe one each.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Kovalchuk would be coming over at 35, not 29. Besides, everyone also thought that Shipachyov was going to be a top-six guy immediately. How'd that work? It's a crap shoot.

There is still no top RD and no top C, plus, you're old. Going into next year with the same roster as this one except with Kovalchuk seems at best, risky.

I agree with Phil. I could see how he could add something to team, depending on what happens at the deadline now and how much money it’ll take to land him. I’m just worried that the rangers abandon the idea of a rebuild. I still am uncertain of how Lundqvist fits into this rebuild. I mean, as long as he’s here, you have to remain some what competitive for the sake of Henrik, no? Maybe he’d push for a guy like Kovalchuk

I agree with Phil. I could see how he could add something to team, depending on what happens at the deadline now and how much money it’ll take to land him. I’m just worried that the rangers abandon the idea of a rebuild. I still am uncertain of how Lundqvist fits into this rebuild. I mean, as long as he’s here, you have to remain some what competitive for the sake of Henrik, no? Maybe he’d push for a guy like Kovalchuk

As long as they stay away from trading picks and prospects for Kovalchuk-like players, you wont see the late 90s Rangers, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Kovalchuk would be coming over at 35, not 29. Besides, everyone also thought that Shipachyov was going to be a top-six guy immediately. How'd that work? It's a crap shoot.

There is still no top RD and no top C, plus, you're old. Going into next year with the same roster as this one except with Kovalchuk seems at best, risky.

Can anybody explain this dire need for a top RD?

If they move McD, that slides Skjei into the top Dmen man spot. Is that a stretch? So with that being done, why do they have to pair him with a top RD? Nobody is doing that. You are not going to have a top pair where both are of all star quality. It could never be affordable. What top defenders out there are paired with another top talent guy?

I see the need for a a guy that can play along side Skjei. That can be Smith that can be Shattenkirk, that can be a free agent.

I'm against over paying for Dmen. The Rangers screwed the pooch in doling out big contracts to guys they thought would be top pair guys for years in Girardi and Staal. Im hoping they realize that error and don't plan for a future with McD.

If they can get a young guy to play the right side with decent potential for Nash or Grabner, great. Draft a guy? Cool. I just think it's not as big as a need as some make it out to be. Definitely not a pressing need.

I agree with Phil. I could see how he could add something to team, depending on what happens at the deadline now and how much money it?ll take to land him. I?m just worried that the rangers abandon the idea of a rebuild. I still am uncertain of how Lundqvist fits into this rebuild. I mean, as long as he?s here, you have to remain some what competitive for the sake of Henrik, no? Maybe he?d push for a guy like Kovalchuk

Hence the rebuild on the fly comments. It's more of a retooling that is likely to happen. Restocking the cupboard with prospects and picks is just icing on the cake. Maybe even a bit of tanking for this season only to get a quality 1st round pick... But it will likely be a gutting of some "core" pieces, hopefully replaced by young talent, that is very affordable (Nylander /Marner) and rounded out with some older talent. It's not going to be a bunch of recent draft picks as the 18/19 Rangers. They will try to put a playoff team together for next year.

The difference from the past times they have done this? No long term contracts to older players and hopefully a commitment to the youth. Not everyone has to be 21.

Hence the rebuild on the fly comments. It's more of a retooling that is likely to happen. Restocking the cupboard with prospects and picks is just icing on the cake. Maybe even a bit of tanking for this season only to get a quality 1st round pick... But it will likely be a gutting of some "core" pieces, hopefully replaced by young talent, that is very affordable (Nylander /Marner) and rounded out with some older talent. It's not going to be a bunch of recent draft picks as the 18/19 Rangers. They will try to put a playoff team together for next year.

The difference from the past times they have done this? No long term contracts to older players and hopefully a commitment to the youth. Not everyone has to be 21.

I agree with all of it. The only thing I would say s little different is that I don’t think Marner or Nylander is coming. Not that I don’t want them but I don’t see Toronto trading them. If they were wouldn’t Karlsson, oel, maybe even Doughty be better options for them if they are going to pay that price? Of course at the draft.

I guess I’m just saying a little warning that we shouldn’t get our hopes up for mcd netting those guys. The rangers can still make a good trade but the bar being those two guys maybe unrealistic

Shipachyov has like a tenth the talent of Kovalchuk. An apples to apples comparison is Radulov.

Also, as I already said, Nash, Grabner, and Kovalchuk wouldn't be coming back to the same roster. Both McDonagh and Zuccarello could be used to flip for D. Maybe Miller.

How can you say that? Shipachyov had a higher ppg than Kovalchuck 3 years in a row lol

If you flip Mac for a D, then you are in the exact same spot you are in now, defensively. If you trade Zucc or Miller, you're now trading Kovalchuck for Nash/Grabner and Miller/Zucc up front. How does that make you better?

Can anybody explain this dire need for a top RD?

If they move McD, that slides Skjei into the top Dmen man spot. Is that a stretch? So with that being done, why do they have to pair him with a top RD? Nobody is doing that. You are not going to have a top pair where both are of all star quality. It could never be affordable. What top defenders out there are paired with another top talent guy?

I see the need for a a guy that can play along side Skjei. That can be Smith that can be Shattenkirk, that can be a free agent.

I'm against over paying for Dmen. The Rangers screwed the pooch in doling out big contracts to guys they thought would be top pair guys for years in Girardi and Staal. Im hoping they realize that error and don't plan for a future with McD.

If they can get a young guy to play the right side with decent potential for Nash or Grabner, great. Draft a guy? Cool. I just think it's not as big as a need as some make it out to be. Definitely not a pressing need.

It's not about getting an all star RD, it's about not having Nick Holden as your RD, and, as of right now, there is no answer in the system. The "if you trade X for Y" scenarios are just ideas, there's no guarantee that they work and, really, they aren't real right now.

You can't say that you want a FA to be on your top pair and say you're against overpaying for defensemen. The only way to get a FA defender worth anything is to overpay.

In the KHL. Kovalchuk already proved for a decade that he's one of the most dominant offensive players in history in both leagues.

But he wouldn't have played in the NHL in, what, 6 years? The game isn't the same as it was in 2012, and he wasn't particularly dominant his last two years to boot.

His PP/60 ranked 28th in 11-12 and 104th in 12-13. I'm not saying he can't be a good player, but that's a pretty serious risk if you're banking on him.

Archived