• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Rangers are Going to Blow it All Up

Shane Falco

Also, he references the Leetch trade, which was a complete disaster for the Rangers. Two prospects, a first- and a second-round pick. They got Maxim Kondratiev, Jarko Immonen, Lauri Korpikoski (24th) and Mike Sauer.

That would be a complete disaster in a trade for either Mac or Zucc.

The trade itself was not a complete disaster, what more did you want for a 36 year old defenseman? The picks after is a scouting issue.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The trade itself was not a complete disaster, what more did you want for a 36 year old defenseman? The picks after is a scouting issue.

Oh, good thing all picks and prospects are locks, nowadays. Obviously, having those picks this year would be COMPLETELY different

right on,we got great production from my boy Leetch, and the rangers got a lot in return for a 36 year old

Oh, good thing all picks and prospects are locks, nowadays. Obviously, having those picks this year would be COMPLETELY different
i understand what your saying but if your team sucks and you got a player who is 36 years old and cant help you much in the future, what is wrong with getting a first and second round draft pick.

i am an old ranger fan, i have valued draft picks like gold ,either because they traded draft picks or prospects,or just finnish high enough in the draft to miss the cream of the crop in the draft ,this fucking team hasnt drafted a hall of famer since the seventies ,well Middleton was a great talent if they didnt trade him for Ken fuckin Hogde who was ready for retirement.

i better get off of this

i am an old ranger fan, i have valued draft picks like gold ,either because they traded draft picks or prospects,or just finnish high enough in the draft to miss the cream of the crop in the draft ,this fucking team hasnt drafted a hall of famer since the seventies ,well Middleton was a great talent if they didnt trade him for Ken fuckin Hogde who was ready for retirement.

i better get off of this

Oh-shit, Ken Hodge! You made me spit out my cereal.

This is semantic. Yes, that's true, but that doesn't change the fact that at the time of the trade the return was good.

If you buy a home and the equity is through the roof, then a school shooting happens in your town six months later and your property value drops through the floor, those are separate incidents. At the time you bought it, it was a prosperous decision.

Well I disagree. You don't know the return of the trade at the time the deal is made. You only have potential.

Well I disagree. You don't know the return of the trade at the time the deal is made. You only have potential.

Yes, and it's a risk assessment. As is dealing for roster players in the hopes they don't suffer freak injuries, clash with styles of play or players, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

most of the players that play in the nhl are though the draft,no
Well shit I'd hope so. There's what, 210 about to be 217 players drafted every year?

While your statement is accurate, so is saying more than half of all drafted players never make it.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I know its sacrilege but i'd seriously look to move Hank. In looking how long it takes to get high picks to the NHL it may well be at the end of Hanks' shelf life before we have something built.

Unless Gortons plan is to mix some vet RFA's in with the youth.

Here is the top list from Hockey News. Is there enough there to do that?

1. JOHN TAVARES, C, 27

2017-18 cap hit: $5,500,000

Just as Steven Stamkos shaped up to be the most significant UFA in NHL history two years ago, the same goes for Tavares if he makes it to July 1 unsigned. He has a strong chance to surpass Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane’s $10.5-million cap hits and become hockey’s second-richest player behind Connor McDavid. Will Tavares leave the Islanders? It’s no sure thing. He’s comfortable in that market, and it really helps that his team looks plenty competitive so far in 2017-18.

2. JOHN CARLSON, D, 28

2017-18 cap hit: $3,966,667

The decimation of Washington’s ‘D,’ with Kevin Shattenkirk and Karl Alzner gone as UFAs and Matt Niskanen sustaining an early-season injury, likely made Carlson a lot of money. He has logged more than 27 minutes a game in a bellcow role on defense. Carlson is also a right-handed shot. He’s 2018’s equivalent of Kevin Shattenkirk, poised to break the bank. Losing Carlson would be devastating for the Caps.

3. JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK, LW, 29

2017-18 cap hit: $4,250,000

‘JVR’ appears to have hit his peak, but it’s a nice peak. He offers a floor of about 25 goals and 55 points, can slide in on any scoring line, and makes life difficult around the net with his hand-eye co-ordination and athleticism. He should attract a bushel of suitors.

4. JAMES NEAL, RW, 30

2017-18 cap hit: $5,000,000

Has any pending UFA upped his stock more than Neal so far this season? He’s been the Golden Knights’ heart and soul and should finish with his best numbers since his halcyon days in Pittsburgh. With Vegas in the playoff picture, though, might both parties consider a contract extension?

5. MIKE GREEN, D, 32

2017-18 cap hit: $6,000,000

The Caps must find the money to re-up Carlson, and it’s a decent bet they will, so it’s likely Green enters the summer as the top free agent blueliner. He could wind up signing an identical deal to his previous one in term and money: three years, $18 million. He’s helped his cause a lot with stellar scoring numbers this season on a middling Red Wings squad.

6. MIKAEL BACKLUND, C, 29

2017-18 cap hit: $3,575,000

Backlund is a poor man’s Patrice Bergeron, excellent defensively, elite in the possession game and skilled enough to center a second line. The Flames would be wise to re-sign him before he gets to open market, as he’d be attractive to pretty much every team.

7. CAM ATKINSON, RW, 29

2017-18 cap hit: $3,500,000

Atkinson had improved his goal total every season of his career entering this one. Will be tough to top last year’s 35, though, and that’s fine. The underdog still brings handy speed and goal-scoring ability.

8. EVANDER KANE, LW, 26

2017-18 cap hit: $5,250,000

Talent has never been the issue for Kane. He’s big, strong, mean and gifted, like a young Todd Bertuzzi. Kane is also quietly just 26 and on pace for a career year. As long as his head’s on straight, which is never a guarantee, he’s a high-impact UFA.

9. ILYA KOVALCHUK, RW, 35

2017-18 cap hit: $6,666,666

Shows absolutely zero signs of slowing down in the KHL, where he continues to light it up, and he’s a proven NHL talent, one of the best goal scorers of his generation. Teams will still likely take a prove-it approach given his age, though. Something like a two-year pact sounds likely.

10. JOE THORNTON, C, 38

2017-18 cap hit: $8,000,000

‘Jumbo’ won’t win the Hart or scoring title again but remains a great playmaker and elite two-way center. The fact San Jose had to overpay him at $8 million last summer suggests he considered leaving. Might he actually do it next time, like buddy Patrick Marleau did in 2017?

11. PATRIC HORNQVIST, RW, 31

2017-18 cap hit: $4,250,000

Underrated. Hornvqist shoots the puck a ton, he hits, he agitates, and he scores a decent amount. His style does bang him up, though. He’s old for his age. A contract longer than a few years would be a risk for any team chasing him.

12. JONATHAN MARCHESSAULT, LW, 27

2017-18 cap hit: $750,000

Broke out for his first 30-goal campaign in 2016-17, and his reward was being shipped to the Vegas Golden Knights. They won’t make the same mistake Florida did. It wouldn’t be surprising to see the Knights re-sign Marchessault, who isn’t out of upside yet.

13. HENRIK SEDIN, C, 37

2017-18 cap hit: $7,000.000

&

14. DANIEL SEDIN, LW, 37

2017-18 cap hit: $7,000,000

They’ve made it pretty clear that, if they do come back, it will only be to Vancouver. They’re flourishing this season with new coach Travis Green trimming their minutes.

15. CALVIN DE HAAN, D, 27

2017-18 cap hit: $3,300,000

Not flashy, and he doesn’t log monster minutes for the Isles, but de Haan is a sturdy, physical top-four defender who blocks shots and isn’t a zero on offense. Any team could use that.

16. PAUL STASTNY, C, 32

2017-18 cap hit: $7,000,000

He was overpaid the day he signed that deal in St. Louis with a $7-million AAV. Maybe he stays in his hometown at a discount. It will have to be a major pay cut, though. We’re talkin’ millions.

17. ZDENO CHARA, D, 41

2017-18 cap hit: $4,000,000

Odds are he keeps playing – and in a Bruins uniform. He hasn’t worn out his usefulness as a shutdown D-man and mentor to the youngsters like Charlie McAvoy and Brandon Carlo.

18. LARS ELLER, C, 29

2017-18 cap hit: $3,500,000

He’ll never hit the offensive ceiling he was once perceived to have, but he’s settled in as a good No. 3 pivot. He’s big, he can score a little bit, and he’s responsible defensively.

19. JOSH BAILEY, RW, 28

2017-18 cap hit: $3,300,000

Playmaking winger posting some of his best scoring numbers ever, but he merely the product of playing with Tavares? That’s always the question with Bailey, who could wind up overpaid if he leaves the Isles.

20. LEO KOMAROV, LW, 31

2017-18 cap hit: $2,950,000

Extremely physical, good defensively and agitates the heck out of opponents. Can be a difference maker on a contending team – even if it’s not Toronto next year.

21. TYLER BOZAK, C, 32

2017-18 cap hit: $4,200,000

Fits as a third-liner on a great team and can fill in as a second-liner on a rebuilding team. Likely expendable in Toronto, so he could wind up in the latter scenario.

22. RICK NASH, LW, 34

2017-18 cap hit: $7,800,000

Ignore the name brand and understand that Nash no longer scores at the rate of even a top-six winger. He’ll be a very tough signing to project. What’s a fair price for him at 34?

23. RADIM VRBATA, RW, 37

2017-18 cap hit: $2,500,000

He’s the anti-Nash, paid like a lower-tier player but still churning out 20-goal, 50-point efforts in his late 30s. Always a decent stopgap on a scoring line.

24. IAN COLE, D, 29

2017-18 cap hit: $2,100,000

Plays a simple, meat-and-potatoes game. Likely more valuable in the Pens’ quick-pass-to-exit-the-zone system than on another team. His Stanley Cup rings might inflate his value, though.

25. ANDREW COGLIANO, LW, 31

2017-18 cap hit: $3,000,000

Brings speed, penalty killing ability and, of course, durability as the league’s reigning iron man.

26. PATRICK MAROON, LW, 30

2017-18 cap hit: $2,000,000

Worth more to the Oilers than to any other team. Feels like he’d be almost guaranteed to disappoint if he signed elsewhere, but doing so also offers his best chance at a career-making payday.

27. DAVID PERRON, LW, 30

2017-18 cap hit: $3,750,000

Still young enough and good enough to earn a multi-year pact. Does a little bit of everything, albeit he isn’t an A+ in any category.

28. TOMAS PLEKANEC, C, 35

2017-18 cap hit: $6,000.000

Will never touch $6 million again. Still signable as a third-line pivot who wins draws, kills penalties and can handle a scoring-line assignment in a pinch.

29. JAN RUTTA, D, 27

2017-18 cap hit: $925,000

Has shown he belongs in the NHL, even if the transition from the Czech League hasn’t been perfect. Most likely landing spot? Probably Chicago again now that he’s learned coach Joel Quenneville’s system.

30. JAROMIR JAGR, RW, 46

2017-18 cap hit: $1,000,000

Nash and Grabner are no brainers to move. I will be very disappointed if they are not.

It would reallllllly suck to see hank play for another team but in all honesty keeping him here during a rebuild is not only a disservice to him (let the dude try and get a cup) but pointless since this team is not and likely will not be a competitor in the time he still has left in this league. With that said I doubt he gets moved.

I think everyone is fair game... my only do not touches would be zucc and maybe skjei although I wouldn?t be too upset if the return was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Just get Jagr! Get rid of everyone else and let him rag the puck challenging all comers to try and take it away. Hmmmm, maybe Valiquette will suit up and add a few more games to his "Total NHL Games Played..." list.

:rofl:

PS - Somehow, I just cannot see the words 'Rangers' and 'Blow it up' in the same sentence. As much as we all want to see major changes, wholesale changes, that seems like an unrealistic stretch-pass, I mean unrealistic stretch.

Something being missed in the "if all you get are draft picks" for X then you only win if they pan out position is that this is a Salary Cap league. The Salary Cap has to play into every personnel decision made and you have to plan years in advance if you don't want to get caught in the middling team bubble.

If they are writing off this season, and they should, then the UFAs are no brainers to move. You can attempt to re-sign any that you'd like back in July, same as you could have if you kept them.

As to players like McDonagh and MZA things get a little more complicated. There are still short term ($4.7M & $4.5M) cap implications next season as well as the longer term ones specifically with McDonagh. If the Rangers see him starting to decline, then not shelling out $7M+ on a 6-8 year contract is the kind of forsight many wished the Rangers had used with Girardi and Staal.

If the plan then is to pack it in this year, suffer next year while also getting up to 5 (!) first round picks in this year's draft and possibly a lottery pick in 2019 before getting to the other side of a rebuild, then that's a much better plan then simply finishing 6-10th for the next couple of years, maybe winning a round or two in the playoffs and hoping that life after Hank is somehow better.

The team is fundamentally flawed on defense. Have to fix that while minding the salary cap. Best way to do that is young, cost controlled talent. Best place to find that is the NHL Entry draft.

what's the story on this year's draft? looks like there is some talent there and fairly deep.

Extremely deep and string draft. Obviously Dahlin is a franchise changer but the next three Zadina, Svechnikov and Tkachuk all project as top line wingers. After that the draft is extremely deep the only thing missing is the big time center. That said lots of good defenseman In the middle of the first round.

It’s a very good draft to have multiple firsts. Outside of the top 4 the draft order is very hard to predict.

Extremely deep and string draft. Obviously Dahlin is a franchise changer but the next three Zadina, Svechnikov and Tkachuk all project as top line wingers. After that the draft is extremely deep the only thing missing is the big time center. That said lots of good defenseman In the middle of the first round.

It?s a very good draft to have multiple firsts. Outside of the top 4 the draft order is very hard to predict.

This is spot on. More than usual, there will be potential top 9 forwards and top 4 Dmen around late in the 1st and early 2nd. And don't forget we own crappy Ottawa's 2nd round pick.

Archived