• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Vegas Golden Knights Franchise Identity Revealed

Faiz

That's true. In this case Vegas is probably OK. Better than had they chosen to go with Black Knights since that's an NCAA property they'd be treading on.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Black Knights technically would be in the same realm since it's through USMA.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It will be a nice winter trip down to Vegas for a show, gambling, golf and an NHL game. That's a great weekend.

I was in Vegas in 2008 for a bachelor party and one night went to The Orleans Arena for a Las Vegas Wranglers game. I asked a guy working the door where the box office was and he just said "how many you need", handed me two tickets right on the blue line. Game was over by 10pm so had a whole night of entertainment ahead of us.

That sounds like it would be awesome, but I wonder if that's enough to build an entire franchise around. You aren't going to get 15,000 tourists at every game.

It'll all boil down to copyrights. Whoever has them, and had them first, likely wins.

Not if it's used in an entirely different space.

There's got to be way more to it than that. There are 14 different D1 athletic programs that use "Bulldogs"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/650132-college-football-the-18-most-frequently-used-mascot-names-in-ncaa-division-one/page/19

That's very preliminary in that it doesn't mean that the name can't ultimately be used. It was denied because they found a matching trademark. It is now up to the Vegas owners to prove why this trademark should be OK. They have three routes from here. Contact the school that has the trademark and see if they care. If they do, then they can either try to pay them off or contest that there is an actual conflict. I suspect they will begin the process of showing there is no conflict while they reach out to the school. Ultimately, maybe they donate $1M to the school to use for scholarships or something, make it a feel good ending for both sides.

• 5 months later...
Worst thing is, despite all the news announcements about the NHL team, "Golden Knights" on Google still pulls up several hits about the Army parachuting team too.

:palm:

The Army Parachuting team, which actually exists, has a solid history and has been around a lot longer than the freaking Vegas Knights (a team that still doesn't exist, per se).

I give Google credit on that.

Now if you had entered "NHL"+"Golden Knights" instead of just "golden knights", as you indicated, then that's another matter altogether.

BTW -- Vegas' logo -- it's a fucking Spartan/Greek/Trojan/Corinthian helmet not an actual Knight's helmet. There is a difference.

Bunch of frigging wankers, can't even get that right.

Archived