• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [RW] Ty Ronning in 7th Rd (201st) Pick

Phil

Vancouver Giants scoring ace Ty Ronning signs with New York Rangers

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-giants-scoring-ace-ty-ronning-signs-with-new-york-rangers

The diminutive Vancouver Giants winger inked a three-year entry-level contract Monday with the NHL’s New York Rangers.

His 55 goals ranks him tied for second in the Western Hockey League.

Last month, Ronning became the first Giants to ever reach the 50-goal plateau when he netted the milestone marker Feb. 14 in a 4-2 win over the Portland Winterhawks.

With every goal he scores, Ronning adds to his single-season franchise record for most goals in a season, previously held by Evander Kane who notched 48 goals in the 2008-09 season.

The Giants, who still have seven games remaining in the WHL regular season, kick off a stretch of five straight road games Wednesday in Kelowna against the B.C. Division leading Rockets.

7 RS + Playoffs left.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, there is no other star player on his line feeding him the puck and he'll still scored more goals this year than the previous 2 years combined.

He pretty much put last year's 2nd worst WHL team on his back and carried them to the playoffs, granted the BC Division doesn't look very strong this year, but with largely the same team the went from 26 games under .500 to currently 10 games over.

I wouldn't call his numbers inflated. They're what you expect of a good overage season. He's made a lot of progress and he's done a lot of the offensive work in Vancouver on his own.

I would and did. Over aging in the W and putting up "good" numbers as an undersized player rarely translates to the pros. Though this may be the all-time best opportunity for a player like him, admittedly.

What exactly makes them inflated though? Maybe you mean to use another word, but I don't think it's inflated. His numbers are on the normal to good side for someone his age.

He's one of the highest primary scorers in the WHL relative to ice time. Meaning he's very productive in the moderate amount of ice time he gets despite playing on a mostly shit team. I don't think anyone is saying future 30 goal scorer, but he's done a lot to do well and has improved his game to the extent that he's relevant to the organization.

What exactly makes them inflated though? Maybe you mean to use another word, but I don't think it's inflated. His numbers are on the normal to good side for someone his age.

He's one of the highest primary scorers in the WHL relative to ice time. Meaning he's very productive in the moderate amount of ice time he gets despite playing on a mostly shit team. I don't think anyone is saying future 30 goal scorer, but he's done a lot to do well and has improved his game to the extent that he's relevant to the organization.

I exactly mean inflated. His stats are not indiciditive of his abilities/size/entire package. They're inflated due to him being overaged, in a league where the average size of the player is closer to his minute stature.

He projects to being a bottom six forward because of this as a ceiling, probably. Anything can happen, obviously.

Except they're not inflated and you can continue to try and argue that. You're right in saying to take his production with a grain of salt because it's against junior competition, but you're providing a "no duh" argument.

If he weren't overaged he'd:

1) be younger playing in the WHL

or

2) be his current age playing aggenst larger/more skilled opponents in College/AHL.

His numbers would likely be less. Therefor, his current numbers, as an undersized/overage in a relatively weaker league, could be considered to be inflated. That's all I'm getting at. Nothing really to nitpick here.

Yea, there is no other star player on his line feeding him the puck and he'll still scored more goals this year than the previous 2 years combined.

He pretty much put last year's 2nd worst WHL team on his back and carried them to the playoffs, granted the BC Division doesn't look very strong this year, but with largely the same team the went from 26 games under .500 to currently 10 games over.

Well, they're all a year older now as they made little changes. Also got got their Overage D-man back who missed almost entire year last year (Skeoch). Other teams entered their cyclical shitty phase.

And they're still gonna go out quick, which is good, we'll probably see him in the A this year.

or

2) be his current age playing aggenst larger/more skilled opponents in College/AHL.

His numbers would likely be less. Therefor, his current numbers, as an undersized/overage in a relatively weaker league, could be considered to be inflated. That's all I'm getting at. Nothing really to nitpick here.

He's essentially done what he had to do to remain relevant.

Had he scored 35 this year I honestly think he'd be suiting up for the Golden Bears next year. As is, he's going to get a chance in the AHL.

or

Saying college is more skilled than the CHL isn't quite right. I do not at all like the CHL, or even the WHL as a developmental league, but NCAA competition is entirely relative to your conference. Otherwise you'd see guys from Robert Morris signing NHL deals every year.

The reason why I argue the word inflated is that it implies that they're grossly misvaluing him. They're not. This is the production you'd want from someone who's remotely good at his age.

Saying college is more skilled than the CHL isn't quite right. I do not at all like the CHL, or even the WHL as a developmental league, but NCAA competition is entirely relative to your conference. Otherwise you'd see guys from Robert Morris signing NHL deals every year.

The reason why I argue the word inflated is that it implies that they're grossly misvaluing him. They're not. This is the production you'd want from someone who's remotely good at his age.

Exactly, which makes his stat line over inflated compared to a normal player in his league/in a more mature league.

*bangs head against wall*

His stats for a 16 year old would be out of this world and project towards a top line player. His age/size/league would say that it projects shorter. That's all I'm saying.

Exactly, which makes his stat line over inflated compared to a normal player in his league/in a more mature league.

*bangs head against wall*

His stats for a 16 year old would be out of this world and project towards a top line player. His age/size/league would say that it projects shorter. That's all I'm saying.

Except it isn't when you're comparing him to his peers. No one is comparing Ronning's production to a 16-year-old phenom scoring 50+ goals. However, when you look deeper at Ronning's situation and his advanced statistics, you see someone who can overcome the issue that has befallen the likes of Michael St. Croix and the other small players to come out of the WHL.

No one disagrees with your actual assessment. The issue with your assessment is that it's vague and inaccurate without any additional substance.

Except it isn't when you're comparing him to his peers. No one is comparing Ronning's production to a 16-year-old phenom scoring 50+ goals. However, when you look deeper at Ronning's situation and his advanced statistics, you see someone who can overcome the issue that has befallen the likes of Michael St. Croix and the other small players to come out of the WHL.

No one disagrees with your actual assessment. The issue with your assessment is that it's vague and inaccurate without any additional substance.

but he's compatible to his peers as his peers in his league aren't his peers due to age *bangs head against wall* this is the inflation which you've taken up an issue with.

I've seen people say he could be a top 6 forward. I simply said he likely won't be due to size / inflated numbers vs (lesser) peers and projects to bottom six despite good numbers. Simple. Why you take issue, who knows.

But you're right. /end

but he's compatible to his peers as his peers in his league aren't his peers due to age *bangs head against wall* this is the inflation which you've taken up an issue with.

But you're right. /end

I'm not looking for you to tell me I'm right when just beforehand you're also implying I'm not grasping a concept.

You literally described two different scenarios in which he was either younger or playing a different league. You're moving the goal posts. We don't know how he'd perform in a nother league. Duh his scoring would be better a younger and if he was doing it somewhere else. The argument that I am making is to say his scoring as a 20-year-old in the WHL is average to good. It also happens to be pretty good scoring regardless of age in that league.

His numbers are inflated relative to his production from last season. That's really the only time we can say his numbers are up. Why? He's older and he's improved his game.

I'm not looking for you to tell me I'm right when just beforehand you're also implying I'm not grasping a concept.

You literally described two different scenarios in which he was either younger or playing a different league. You're moving the goal posts. We don't know how he'd perform in a nother league. Duh his scoring would be better a younger and if he was doing it somewhere else. The argument that I am making is to say his scoring as a 20-year-old in the WHL is average to good. It also happens to be pretty good scoring regardless of age in that league.

His numbers are inflated relative to his production from last season. That's really the only time we can say his numbers are up. Why? He's older and he's improved his game.

He's also older than his competition and / or more skilled than them along with being the same size.

You're acting like I'm taking issue with what you're saying whereas it's the opposite, you're asking me to change my language due to being incorrect. I fail to see any point in which you've proven anything but my point.

I stand by my original post of:

Bottom six f in the NHL. His numbers are inflated. We'll see what he does in the A.

Inflated would be if he was playing on a line with a dominant set up man like Heponiemi. Then you'd wonder if he actually improved as a player or if his numbers were inflated due to playing alongside one of the elite players in his league. His increase in scoring his his own doing and not inflated by the players surrounding him.

He's also older than his competition and / or more skilled than them along with being the same size.

You're acting like I'm taking issue with what you're saying whereas it's the opposite, you're asking me to change my language due to being incorrect. I fail to see any point in which you've proven anything but my point.

I stand by my original post of:

Bottom six f in the NHL. His numbers are inflated. We'll see what he does in the A.

I think the word "inflated" is what is throwing people off, not the point you are making.

I mean, he's an over-ager, playing against 16 year olds.

My god, that's anywhere from a 2 to 4-level gap. Imagine playing down 2 levels when you were growing up playing hockey. I would have been putting up more than 50 a season

I agree with both the above. I just think inflated also can be related to the 2-4 level gap as much as it can relate to direct inflation due to linemates.

If that's the entire argument then I think it's sort of petty, overall. That's all. I have high hopes for the kid but the way I see it, he has a lot to prove.

I think the word "inflated" is what is throwing people off, not the point you are making.

My god, that's anywhere from a 2 to 4-level gap. Imagine playing down 2 levels when you were growing up playing hockey. I would have been putting up more than 50 a season

That's not entirely true. Yes he is an over ager, but (with out looking) most teams probably have an over ager or two. In addition, most of the other players are 17, 18, or 19. Most of the 16 year olds don't see meaning full minutes.

Moose Jaw is the best team in the WHL. The have 2 players with 113 points. One turned 21 in January the other turns 21 in 2 weeks. They have another over ager turning 21 in May who has 74 points. They have 5 other forwards, 4 D, and their starting goalie that are all born in 1998 and turn 20 this year. The have 10 skaters 6'2" or taller and 195 lbs or more. I'm not gonna go through every team, but he's not playing in a league of 16 year olds who are all the same size as him.

50 what? PIMS?

Archived