• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Color is the Dress?

Pete

Right Phil, but that illusion tricks all of our eyes the same. This illusion with the dress doesn't. Is it because of ambient light differences where we view it? Different sensitivities of our rods and cones? There is something different going on than just Color Constancy.

Right Phil, but that illusion tricks all of our eyes the same. This illusion with the dress doesn't. Is it because of ambient light differences where we view it? Different sensitivities of our rods and cones? There is something different going on than just Color Constancy.

It's a combination of what device you are viewing the image on, the light/tone of the room you are sitting in, top down processing and Color Constancy.

In the case of this dress, it is photographed so close up that we don’t actually know its surrounding environment, so our brain starts to make interpretations about the light falling on it. If people envisage that it’s located in, say, a room lit by blueish natural daylight, perhaps near a window, they may see it as white and yellow because our brain tries to remove the blue as a possible shadow. Alternatively, some may picture it under artificial lights, like those found in shops, and so they see it as blue, which is indeed the true color of the dress.

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/explaining-perceptions-dress

Oh, and the colors in this image are exactly the same too:

http://i.imgur.com/GA2HFTu.png?1

I am a total idiot. I was at work last night and when I walked into my office at the end of the night, a girl I work with showed me it, and I thought it was a dress she was looking to buy. I said it was either white or light blue, and brown. I was totally off, and didn't know until I put the TV on this morning and they were talking about it on the news that this was an actual thing.

I saw white and gold. When looking at the same picture directly under a bright light I saw black and blue.

For those saying that the pictures are different, they're not. I showed 2 co-workers, my wife and my daughter the exact same picture and we all saw different things.

Archived