• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jon Stewart Announces He's Leaving 'The Daily Show'

Phil

According to The A.V. Club and Entertainment Weekly, Jon Stewart announced at Tuesday's taping of The Daily Show that he would be stepping down as host of the program.

Comedy Central president Michele Ganeless gave Entertainment Weekly this statement:

"For the better part of the last two decades, I have had the incredible honor and privilege of working with Jon Stewart. His comedic brilliance is second to none. Jon has been at the heart of Comedy Central, championing and nurturing the best talent in the industry, in front of and behind the camera. Through his unique voice and vision,The Daily Show has become a cultural touchstone for millions of fans and an unparalleled platform for political comedy that will endure for years to come. Jon will remain at the helm of The Daily Show until later this year. He is a comic genius, generous with his time and talent, and will always be a part of the Comedy Central family."

http://gawker.com/john-stewart-announces-hes-leaving-the-daily-show-1685071314?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_twitter&utm_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

--

Wow. This is iconic. Much more so than Colbert leaving for The Late Show.

I'm completely bummed out about this. Stewart and Colbert are the entire reason I started caring about politics and current events. They were able to take a disenfranchised demographic and inform them in such an approachable way. I hope whomever takes over at the Daily Show keeps the format.

I would be very interested to see what he does next. I don't see late night in his future, but that is OK. He has shown that politics is his schtick and hopefully he does something where he can have a great impact.

As to Oliver. I really hope HBO expands his show in some capacity. He has been able to take from Stewart and Colbert and really make it his own. I don't see him coming back to Comedy Central though. Every interview I have seen/heard him do since starting Last Week Tonight has indicated he is very happy with HBO. He has free reign to cover any subject in whatever way he sees fit — something he would be very limited with under Viacom.

I'm not sad for us, I'm sad for that next generation who would have been attracted to a guy like Stewart and realize, through his comedic abilities, how critical you have to be when watching the main stream media do it's dance. In a lot of ways, he's been a professor of media consumption. I don't always agree with his take on events, but at least you come away feeling that he came to his conclusions honestly. If they keep the same format and staff, I have no doubt that they can find a good replacement. When Oliver did the show, I didn't think he missed a beat. Just have to find that right next guy to do it.

I'm not sad for us, I'm sad for that next generation who would have been attracted to a guy like Stewart and realize, through his comedic abilities, how critical you have to be when watching the main stream media do it's dance. In a lot of ways, he's been a professor of media consumption. I don't always agree with his take on events, but at least you come away feeling that he came to his conclusions honestly. If they keep the same format and staff, I have no doubt that they can find a good replacement. When Oliver did the show, I didn't think he missed a beat. Just have to find that right next guy to do it.

I agree, and if you look at the cavalcade of stars that show has produced, or help make — Carrell, Colbert, Oliver, Wilmore, Bee, Helms, Riggle and Corddry to name a few — I have little doubt they'll find the right voice to not see the show suffer for it.

Maybe they'll reach out to a guy like Wyatt Cenac, or rather maybe he will go for it. I loved him on the daily show and his standup is fantastic. I think he would bring his own voice that would be at the same time in line with how Stewart developed the program.

Thinking about how Stewart won be covering indecision 2016 though is... Upsetting to say the least.

Maybe they'll reach out to a guy like Wyatt Cenac, or rather maybe he will go for it. I loved him on the daily show and his standup is fantastic. I think he would bring his own voice that would be at the same time in line with how Stewart developed the program.

Thinking about how Stewart won be covering indecision 2016 though is... Upsetting to say the least.

It's upsetting, but there's no better way for the new person to prove themselves than to cover the election and the coverage surrounding it. Stewart is great in his role, and he's done some fantastic things in highlighting terrible journalism, major issues, and general inconsistencies, but The Daily Show is pretty uninteresting when there's nothing going on, IMO.

So for the new person to step into the leadup for the presidential election puts that person in the best possible position to succeed.

Archived