• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [G] Brandon Halverson with 2nd Round (59th) Pick

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=776283&navid=nhl:topheads

Halverson prepared to re-prove himself as U.S. starter

Don't tell goaltender Brandon Halverson he has a good shot at being named starter for the United States at the 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship in Finland, to be played from Dec. 26, 2015 through Jan. 5, 2016.

Halverson, picked in the second round (No. 59) by the New York Rangers in the 2014 NHL Draft, is the only goalie at this week's USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp with experience at the prestigious tournament. He was the backup to Vancouver Canucks prospect Thatcher Demko at the 2015 WJC, and earned a 6-0 victory against Germany with 14 saves in his only start.

The Rangers signed Halverson (6-foot-4, 179 pounds) to an entry-level contract on July 1, four days after trading backup goalie Cam Talbot to the Edmonton Oilers for three draft picks. Halverson went 40-5-2 with a 2.63 goals-against average, a .913 save percentage and six shutouts in 50 games for the Greyhounds last season. He was asked if the trade of Talbot by the Rangers was a signal of even greater belief in his ability.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Halverson is 16-13-3 with a 2.97 G.A.A and a .908 save percentage. Down from the 40-5-2, 2.63 G.A.A. and .913 save percentage he had last year, but the Greyhounds as a team are weaker. Key offseason losses include key players such as Sergey Tolchinsky, Jared McCann and Darnell Nurse.

Not an excuse, but just speaks to how they were able to play so well last year and allow him to win 40 games.

• 2 months later...

http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/article/halverson-learns-ups-and-downs-junior

Goaltender Brandon Halverson was admittedly not focusing on the right things during the first half of this past season with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League.

After he posted 40 wins a season prior on a veteran-heavy team that included several several key departures for the pro ranks, Halverson and the Greyhounds found themselves with a much younger team and in a transition.

• 1 month later...

Any change Halverson gets sent back for an overage year with Hellburg the essentially established starter in Hartford and Skapski also signed with an additional year away from his surgery?

I'd think there's a chance given his performance last season, but he may have a good camp too.

I would assume he's back in Sault Ste. Marie. Hellberg and Malcolm seem to be the tandem with Skapski hanging out with Swamp Rabbits.

Malcolm is a UFA. Despite his improvement I doubt he's brought back especially at 27.

Chances are you've got Hellberg staying put with Skapski and Halverson moving back and forth between Hartford and Greenville. The trend for goaltender development seems to be in the ECHL. Can't argue with it. Sending Halverson back to junior won't do much for him.

Malcolm is a UFA. Despite his improvement I doubt he's brought back especially at 27.

Chances are you've got Hellberg staying put with Skapski and Halverson moving back and forth between Hartford and Greenville. The trend for goaltender development seems to be in the ECHL. Can't argue with it. Sending Halverson back to junior won't do much for him.

Malcolm I think they would bring back because he played pretty well last year and they don't want to rush Skapski.

He was pretty shaky and I see him spending a lot of time in Greenville. I understand your point with Halverson though. Either way they will want each respective goalie in a starting role most likely so they aren't idling.

Malcolm I think they would bring back because he played pretty well last year and they don't want to rush Skapski.

He was pretty shaky and I see him spending a lot of time in Greenville. I understand your point with Halverson though. Either way they will want each respective goalie in a starting role most likely so they aren't idling.

They really aren't rushing Skapski. He can handle an AHL backup position just fine. He needs AHL starts more than ECHL starts at this point. The problem was how he was transitioned back in after his hip injury. He was only half of himself this season. Hopefully, he takes the summer to rehabilitate some more.

Malcolm while much improved this season over his previous two doesn't need to be brought back if it's just in a backup role. It would be better to try and have some competition amongst Halverson and Skapski. Starting is great, but the level of competition is just as if not more important.

They really aren't rushing Skapski. He can handle an AHL backup position just fine. He needs AHL starts more than ECHL starts at this point. The problem was how he was transitioned back in after his hip injury. He was only half of himself this season. Hopefully, he takes the summer to rehabilitate some more.

Malcolm while much improved this season over his previous two doesn't need to be brought back if it's just in a backup role. It would be better to try and have some competition amongst Halverson and Skapski. Starting is great, but the level of competition is just as if not more important.

By rush wasn't talking about development. More so return from injury. Even though he was healthy his side to side movements were more labored than usual. Obviously time has passed but would make sense to ease him back into it.

Competition would be good thing though to ultimately get the most ready guy in that spot.

By rush wasn't talking about development. More so return from injury. Even though he was healthy his side to side movements were more labored than usual. Obviously time has passed but would make sense to ease him back into it.

Competition would be good thing though to ultimately get the most ready guy in that spot.

Agreed though Skapski wasn't great laterally even before the injury. Just made matters slightly worse. Hopefully, the summer helps him. If not that another Ranger goalie prospect lost to a hip injury after showing some promise. Though Stajcer was a lot further.

• 3 months later...

Archived