• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Felix Baumgartner Successfully Jumps From Edge Of Space

Jules

HE'S DONE IT! HE'S DONE IT!

Austrian fighter pilot and extreme sports pioneer Felix Baumgartner has succesfully jumped from the edge of space. His balloon took him to nearly 130,000 feet (23+ miles, 39+ kms) and he jumped with a descend speed faster than the sound barrier. A man, without a plane, went faster than the speed of sound.

http://www.fadingcrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/felix-baumgartner.jpg

It was amazing. This is the moon landing of our time and I hope you all watched it or will watch it.

Oh, and tip my cap to Red Bull energy drink for being insane enough to sponsor this. Marketing and pioneering wise the best company ever.

See you lateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrr!

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/672169950.gif?key=625343&Expires=1350240143&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=PEiYR4eyUfQ0ROfnmlYp1S5ka7qlMLiK3DI55M0GALWj8lx3Y4BRlwlZsn68-LQMMSKyZxs8Ox0kGGtwm24DnFyY75QE~xF2NwcoIL93W6NpO6Iuj~I4ZAXQpc-Xyy5NtBo7bXXaXT1MbYkcbxsZprmlq45kymf3jbIPrK-CtQ4_

How exactly does Redbull fund all of this stuff?

I mean they sponsor multiple teams in just about every sport and for example run a Formula one team with a budget of like $150,000,000 a year. I know they sell a lot of Redbull but they have to be dishing out half a billion in sponsorship.

How exactly does Redbull fund all of this stuff?

I mean they sponsor multiple teams in just about every sport and for example run a Formula one team with a budget of like $150,000,000 a year. I know they sell a lot of Redbull but they have to be dishing out half a billion in sponsorship.

They have an enormous marketing budget, higher percentages than other companies and their owner is so loaded that profit is not a key focus. It's good, and they do make money, but their name is so often seen and their influence so great in terms of extreme and fast sports, that they are a popular brand and remain a popular brand.

They own soccer teams named Red Bull or Red Bulls in several countries, they own a former Formula 1 racetrack in Austria, they sponsor all those extreme sports athletes, they own one F1 team and have stakes in another (Toro Rosso, what's in a name) and... oh, they make movies too.

There aren't many brands with better marketeers and a more awesome business plan.

I think this is awesome, but it makes me sad when so much money is pushed into such useless endeavors.

This is the new side of space travel and exploring with government budgets cut. Also, it's not useless, Baumgartner was packed with sensors and the technology they created and data he provided will help us learn more about ways to fly higher with commercial aircrafts, provide new safety options for pressurization on high altitudes and so much more. I don't think projects like this are money thrown away.

And some point he fell at a speed of nearly a mile within every 6 seconds. Whooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

How did he not break the free fall record jumping from so high

He broke the height record, but not the actual "time of freefall", because the thin air zone at the start of the jump created a higher speed than anticipated, which brought him to the level where he had to deploy the parachute about a dozen seconds earlier than planned. The other guy jumped much lower, but never made it anywhere close to the speed that Baumgartner did.

This is the new side of space travel and exploring with government budgets cut. Also, it's not useless, Baumgartner was packed with sensors and the technology they created and data he provided will help us learn more about ways to fly higher with commercial aircrafts, provide new safety options for pressurization on high altitudes and so much more. I don't think projects like this are money thrown away.

And some point he fell at a speed of nearly a mile within every 6 seconds. Whooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

That's low priority stuff in my book. Cure cancer.

That's low priority stuff in my book. Cure cancer.

I hope you don't walk through life everyday thinking about everything fancy looking, slightly more expensive than necessary or fun for millions of people that the money it costs should've been spent on cancer research, because that can't be fun.

Time for those spoiled pro athletes to man up, take minimum wage, buy a 12 year old Ford and donate whatever else they made to the American Cancer Foundation. Great solution for the lockout too.

I hope you don't walk through life everyday thinking about everything fancy looking, slightly more expensive than necessary or fun for millions of people that the money it costs should've been spent on cancer research, because that can't be fun.

Time for those spoiled pro athletes to man up, take minimum wage, buy a 12 year old Ford and donate whatever else they made to the American Cancer Foundation. Great solution for the lockout too.

Now you're just being sensationalist. I'm entitled to my opinion.

Now you're just being sensationalist. I'm entitled to my opinion.

I just don't understand why you said it. This applies to almost everything we discuss on this board. Entertainment of which the budgets and profits end up in rich people's pockets. Now finally a ballsy company and a ballsy stuntman take off on an adventure that has taught us a tremendous bit about commercial space travel, travel and data on high altitudes, the force of gravity in the outer parts of the stratosphere and the list goes on and on. Finally someone in our time and space goes where no one has gone before in a daring stunt for the ages and it's brought up that money would've been better spent on cancer research.

Of all the things we talked about, this is one were I don't understand why it's brought up all of a sudden. As if the argument "cure cancer", as important as that is and my mom lost a friend to it today, isn't just as much of a sensationalist argument. If "cure cancer" is going to be a go-to argument, I guess every investment that goes beyond basic necessity is now futile.

Why make skyscrapers look awesome? Cure cancer.

I just don't understand why you said it. This applies to almost everything we discuss on this board. Entertainment of which the budgets and profits end up in rich people's pockets. Now finally a ballsy company and a ballsy stuntman take off on an adventure that has taught us a tremendous bit about commercial space travel, travel and data on high altitudes, the force of gravity in the outer parts of the stratosphere and the list goes on and on. Finally someone in our time and space goes where no one has gone before in a daring stunt for the ages and it's brought up that money would've been better spent on cancer research.

Of all the things we talked about, this is one were I don't understand why it's brought up all of a sudden. As if the argument "cure cancer", as important as that is and my mom lost a friend to it today, isn't just as much of a sensationalist argument. If "cure cancer" is going to be a go-to argument, I guess every investment that goes beyond basic necessity is now futile.

Why make skyscrapers look awesome? Cure cancer.

Yea, because that's the same. Replace cancer with any other disease, or worthwhile cause, which I dont feel this is.

You're way off. You have your opinion, I have mine, but I don't know where you get off attacking mine when I didn't attack yours.

It's still better invested in this, than remaining with billionaire Mateschitz (Red Bull owner) or pumped in one of his soccer clubs.

Exactly, it's marketing money spent on a scientifically relevant stunt. That's pretty much the last kind of marketing I'd call blowing money on nothing.

It's still better invested in this, than remaining with billionaire Mateschitz (Red Bull owner) or pumped in one of his soccer clubs.

Whatever the case may be, I feel there are greater needs out there that could use this money. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to feel that way, or express it here. Sorry.

Archived