• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

MegaBus Crash, 1 dead, 30 injured

http://news.yahoo.com/megabus-crash-illinois-least-1-dead-20-injured-205734446--abc-news-topstories.html

At least one person was killed after a double-decker Megabus crashed Thursday on a highway between Chicago and St. Louis with more than 60 people aboard, said the bus company.

Illinois State Police said the dead passenger was a woman who had been seated in the front upper section of the bus, above the driver. More than 30 people were transported to area hospitals.

I always take megabus, kind of having second thoughts now. I never sit in the front of the top anymore thats for sure

These cheap buses are death traps because the people they hire for drivers arent the best that they could find. Those buses out of China Town are even worse. They are shut down almost every week, yet they still keep operating every day. I would never take them, they are just too dangerous.

Those bargain buses are scary. I would never get on a bus that wasn't Greyhound, Peter Pan, or Trailways

Anything ran by Coach USA is pretty good as well. The ones to Chicago had wifi.

Although, when it comes to public transport over long distances: train > bus.

Not every crash results in a death

But a crash that doesn't result in a death or serious injury is just an inconvenience. Aren't these cheap buses? You're paying less and accepting the inconvience that it might take longer to get to your destination.

These cheap buses are death traps because the people they hire for drivers arent the best that they could find. Those buses out of China Town are even worse. They are shut down almost every week, yet they still keep operating every day. I would never take them, they are just too dangerous.

It's not just that — it's that the people who drive them get paid fuck all, and work 20-hour shifts a day, so naturally they get tired and doze off.

But a crash that doesn't result in a death or serious injury is just an inconvenience. Aren't these cheap buses? You're paying less and accepting the inconvience that it might take longer to get to your destination.

Which is why I said I would never take one of these buses and have paid extra for the better ones

Which is why I said I would never take one of these buses and have paid extra for the better ones

Well some people were saying that they didn't want to die so they were arming themselves with Bazookas.

This is why I am always afraid of when Kristin gets on these fuckin' things to go home or DC, etc.

Almost 50,000 people in the US die in car and motorcycle accidents each year. 30 people died in bus crashes in America in all of 2011 and there are 750 million bus tickets sold.

It's why I also chuckle about the thought of people who drive their friends to the airport, but don't fly themselves because they are afraid. My dad was one of them and despite the numbers, he never flew a single mile in his life. 50,000 traffic deaths in America each year, but less than 1000 airplane deaths worldwide each year.

Almost 50,000 people in the US die in car and motorcycle accidents each year. 30 people died in bus crashes in America in all of 2011 and there are 750 million bus tickets sold.

It's why I also chuckle about the thought of people who drive their friends to the airport, but don't fly themselves because they are afraid. My dad was one of them and despite the numbers, he never flew a single mile in his life. 50,000 traffic deaths in America each year, but less than 1000 airplane deaths worldwide each year.

It's about relinquishing control, not really the mode of transport, I find. Same people who don't like to fly also hate cabs and trains, from what I see.

It's about relinquishing control, not really the mode of transport, I find. Same people who don't like to fly also hate cabs and trains, from what I see.

Yup. Despite the higher numbers, knowing you are the one behind the wheel gives people (even if it's false) a sense of security in determining their course of action in the event some sort of catastrophic/dangerous event becomes a factor.

Fair enough. For me that goes as well I guess. I hate being in a car and not being the driver. I drive so many hours a week that I feel more confident in my own abilities than those of others. However, I know I can't drive a bus, conduct a train or fly a plane and so I have no nerves handing the control to someone else there. And it's also not that I won't step into a car with another driver. It's mostly just with people of whom I know they are less experienced drivers.

I hate flying, and only fly if I have to. To me, its not a fear of crashing, I just hate takeoffs and landings, Im fine once I am up in the air, but I would rather drive or take a train than fly. Even as a kid I hated flying. I never take buses either, I dont like them for some reason either.

Archived