• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Best War Movie

I am Scags

Then I throw in two of the few really good german movies out there:

Die Bruecke (The bridge), made in 1959 (important as there is a very bad re-make from a few years ago), about 7 german teenage soldiers defending an unimportant small bridge in their hometown in April 1945. One of the few true Anti-war-movies out there.

And of course: Das Boot (the boat), the rather famous movie about U-96, from my point of view still the best german movie ever made.

With both I don't know about the quality of their english versions, though "the boat" lost way to much in translation in my eyes, as the language became to clean and polite.

I knew he was a former Marine, but you're saying he did that off the cuff and improv? Wow! That's amazing to think!

He actually wasnt hired to be in the movie. He was hired as a consultant to work with the actor originally given the part, but once they heard Ermey on set, they fired the actor and hired him for the part. This is one of my favorite movies, along with Saving Private Ryan. And even though they arent movies, Band of Brothers and The Pacific were amazing as well.

The Battle Of Britain and A Bridge Too Far...

Braveheart is simply too inaccurate to be considered for me and Saving Private Ryan although great fails to acknowledge the existence of any other nations soldiers in Northern France, except the Germans and that fucking pisses me off...

I'd also nominate one that not a lot of people know about anymore, called "Best Years of Our Lives." It's actually about how 3 different guys try to integrate back into society directly after the war. The one actor, Harold Russell, actually lost both his hands in the war and essentially plays himself. It was the only movie he ever did and was nominated for an Academy Award, don't remember if he won or not but I believe so. Great war movie with 2 out of 3 actors having war experience.

The Battle Of Britain and A Bridge Too Far...

Braveheart is simply too inaccurate to be considered for me and Saving Private Ryan although great fails to acknowledge the existence of any other nations soldiers in Northern France, except the Germans and that fucking pisses me off...

Well like h-dreamer said its on a platoon level and is based on the landings on Omaha that were strictly American and the subsequent push in land. British and Canadian forces were well to the east of Omaha and Utah and its unlikely that American and Commonwealth forces met up much during those first few days after the landings. And if I remember correctly Captain Miller did mention Montgomery and something to the extent of his slow movement so that would be a nearly direct acknowledgment of commonwealth forces.

Archived