• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Walking Dead

Phil

I have to disagree with you here. I know a few people that were fans of the comics and want nothing to do with this show. 2 of them were in during the first season then gave up during the 2nd. The other one didn't like it from the beginning.

I think it's more of people who have poor taste that are still OMGOMG over Walking Dead. A lot of girls. I see people post about it on Facebook.. like shit.. is this the first time you've ventured away from the single digit channels? lol. Then there's the teenage audience I'm sure.

I didn't mind 1 group stumbling into another. That was Michone finding Rick and Carl. I give the writers the benefit of the doubt here. But now they're all just hot on each other's trails? Shit I mean they're making a mockery of the idea of "tracking" and how awesome of a character Darryl was. You'd think they could figure out a better way to unite some of the group in time. 1 group should have been eaten alive this past episode for sure.

I'm neither a girl, nor do I think of myself as having (that) poor of taste in television shows, and I'm still very much enthralled in the Walking Dead, and still very much committed to seeing it through to the end.

I think what you are seeing here, is simply you not liking something and wishing would stop liking it too. Some have, some haven't.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm neither a girl, nor do I think of myself as having (that) poor of taste in television shows, and I'm still very much enthralled in the Walking Dead, and still very much committed to seeing it through to the end.

I think what you are seeing here, is simply you not liking something and wishing would stop liking it too. Some have, some haven't.

Then you're the exception to the rule then, from what I can see.

In comparison to one from Season 1, how much did you enjoy this last episode?

Then you're the exception to the rule then, from what I can see.

In comparison to one from Season 1, how much did you enjoy this last episode?

The only season I didn't really enjoy all that much was Season Two, I believe — the one with the farm. I felt they hung around there a little too long. I actually dug the prison story.

It's a loaded question. Why am I comparing a single episode to an entire season?

I didn't think the last episode was that strong either, but I didn't hate it. I've seen worse.

Well if I was to phrase the question "did you enjoy the episode?", you could have just said "yes". I don't "hate" the show. I hate how shitty it is compared to what it was and what it could be. It's all relevant. I'm not saying it's Keeping Up With The Kardashians or anything. And I'm not wishing you would hate it. I'm wishing it would get better so I can go back to enjoying it.

You have to admit that scene with Carol re-appearing was strange as hell by any network's standards. Like B-movie type of stuff.

Well if I was to phrase the question "did you enjoy the episode?", you could have just said "yes". I don't "hate" the show. I hate how shitty it is compared to what it was and what it could be. It's all relevant. I'm not saying it's Keeping Up With The Kardashians or anything. And I'm not wishing you would hate it. I'm wishing it would get better so I can go back to enjoying it.

You have to admit that scene with Carol re-appearing was strange as hell by any network's standards. Like B-movie type of stuff.

In execution, yes. I knew she was going to return (that was confirmed last year), and I wouldn't have had her appear in such a manner either, but you can't put toothpaste back in the tube, and generally speaking, that's less important than the fact she's actually back, because the pressing issue is still what she did to be exiled in the first place last season and how that's going to play out once Tyresse actually finds out (if he finds out), and how it'll affect Rick, assuming the group meets up at Terminus.

Oh I'm not upset that she's back. It's just if you're gonna bring her back without tearing down my suspension of disbelief, you better create a better story than her practically teleporting into the scene.

You'd think the writers would at least make it so one group starts a huge fire to signal another. Or whatever. The execution and the details are the problem for me, not the entire story-arch.

I liked the last 2 episodes. I like when they are out in the world, scavenging and surviving. They are always my favorite episodes.

Season 2 had some great episodes... Carl shot, Otis killed, Rick shot those 2 in the bar, they took that kid, they dropped off that kid, they picked up that same kid, Dale died, Andrea shot Darryl, barn-o-zombies slaughter, Shane killed, huge hoard takes house

Oh I'm not upset that she's back. It's just if you're gonna bring her back without tearing down my suspension of disbelief, you better create a better story than her practically teleporting into the scene.

You'd think the writers would at least make it so one group starts a huge fire to signal another. Or whatever. The execution and the details are the problem for me, not the entire story-arch.

This is exactly how I imagined Carol returning.

You knew it was going to involve the girls (she was acting mother)

And you knew it was going to involve Tyrese (still doesn't know she killed Karen... or did she?)

I assumed she would show up when Tyrese needed help... I just think they should have showed the walkers about to get the girls and pop pop pop, its Carol!!

Probably the most annoying thing I hear about the show.... you do realize its a zombie show based on a comic book , right? But again, this is someone saying theres not enough character depth then refers to the General...

The way the writers presents the character depth is different than most shows. What do you not understand about someone, and I will let you know.

Now, when I go back and watch the 2nd season, I like the episodes a lot more. They are slower, but theres always something going on.

Seeing as how its the top cable tv show, that seems to be inaccurate. If anything, its the comic book fans that have the most issue with the show because it varies from the graphic novels.

This is a complete cop out to justify the fact you like the show and think others should agree.

"They build depth of character different" ... what a load of crap. In one point you want to downplay the show as based on comics to justify the lack of depth but then turn around and high brow the fact that "they do it differently" so it's there.

I didn't read the comics and surprise I completely understand it's a show about survival and not zombies (let me know if you need me to expand on that for you).

The show has been and is poorly written (backed up by they fact that at the end of one of the seasons they let the entire writing staff go and then the new staff had to provide substance to a group of people nobody cared about) and I've been told it loosely follows the comic so they have the entertainment license to expand on the characters and their experience.

The depth of the characters in my post was clearly spelled out about the main characters, the ones the show is built around. The General is a peripheral character and didn't need staying ability.

Seems since it's the top rated cable show I guess you'll "understand it on a different level" to be included in pop culture.

This is a complete cop out to justify the fact you like the show and think others should agree.

"They build depth of character different" ... what a load of crap. In one point you want to downplay the show as based on comics to justify the lack of depth but then turn around and high brow the fact that "they do it differently" so it's there.

I didn't read the comics and surprise I completely understand it's a show about survival and not zombies (let me know if you need me to expand on that for you).

The show has been and is poorly written (backed up by they fact that at the end of one of the seasons they let the entire writing staff go and then the new staff had to provide substance to a group of people nobody cared about) and I've been told it loosely follows the comic so they have the entertainment license to expand on the characters and their experience.

The depth of the characters in my post was clearly spelled out about the main characters, the ones the show is built around. The General is a peripheral character and didn't need staying ability.

Seems since it's the top rated cable show I guess you'll "understand it on a different level" to be included in pop culture.

Isnt that exactly what you are doing? "It's not perfect, so IT SUCKS!!!" My guess is youre a breaking bad or Boardwalk Empire junkie that thinks every show needs to be exactly like them.

And there is no General. So I don't know how you can complain about character depth of a show you clearly don't watch

Okay we get it you don't like it.

Anyway...

I'm excited about this sanctuary place. I stopped reading ahead in the comics so I can be surprised by the show. I can't help imagining this place being anarchistic and crazy since the prison was an actual

Haven and Woodbury was technically a bad place and I don't think they would

Just repeat the scenarios.

Isnt that exactly what you are doing? "It's not perfect, so IT SUCKS!!!" My guess is youre a breaking bad or Boardwalk Empire junkie that thinks every show needs to be exactly like them.

And there is no General. So I don't know how you can complain about character depth of a show you clearly don't watch

Both of you, ease up with the personal shots.

It's a television show. Find a way to discuss it reasonably. There's no need for lines like either of these I bolded.

As annoying as the show has been at times, it has been incredibly entertaining over its 4 year run. I think its great television, that almost always leaves me wanting the next episode. I agree with Phil in the sense that the only season that was lacking, was season 2 on the farm. But still it was necessary to demonstrate the idea that they can never be comfortable. I love that dynamic; the transition from survival, to false security, to internal and external threats, to survival. The show has been careful enough to kill off characters at key times, instead of sending out shockers that would ultimately disenfranchise viewers.

I don't like comparing shows. Good shows shouldn't be compared. I don't like putting The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, etc. in the same sentence. What makes a show good shouldn't be measured by comparing it to another great show. It should be what its done differently. The Walking Dead is different.

As annoying as the show has been at times, it has been incredibly entertaining over its 4 year run. I think its great television, that almost always leaves me wanting the next episode. I agree with Phil in the sense that the only season that was lacking, was season 2 on the farm. But still it was necessary to demonstrate the idea that they can never be comfortable. I love that dynamic; the transition from survival, to false security, to internal and external threats, to survival. The show has been careful enough to kill off characters at key times, instead of sending out shockers that would ultimately disenfranchise viewers.

I don't like comparing shows. Good shows shouldn't be compared. I don't like putting The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, etc. in the same sentence. What makes a show good shouldn't be measured by comparing it to another great show. It should be what its done differently. The Walking Dead is different.

Could not possibly agree more.

Usually, in comparing shows, I try to appeal to a larger "taste", like in cases where I think that a Breaking Bad fan would also enjoy The Wire, or that someone who watched The Shield would also enjoy Sons of Anarchy (Kurt Sutter connection), etc.

Rarely, if ever, am I putting Walking Dead, as is, up against Breaking Bad, as is. Why would you? They are totally different scenarios with completely different purposes.

Okay we get it you don't like it.

Anyway...

I'm excited about this sanctuary place. I stopped reading ahead in the comics so I can be surprised by the show. I can't help imagining this place being anarchistic and crazy since the prison was an actual

Haven and Woodbury was technically a bad place and I don't think they would

Just repeat the scenarios.

I disagree. I think they would repeat the scenarios. Every group that has been encountered in the show has primarily prioritized the survival of its own group. The interpretation of that could be different, however. For example, the survival of Rick's group was predicated on trust, and allowing new members into the group. The Governor perceived outsiders(for the most part) to be a threat, and acted accordingly.

Just from the 15 seconds we saw of this new character, I'd assume he is going to accept people who are of use to him, and leave behind those who cannot survive.

I compare them in terms of attention to detail, storytelling, subtleties, natural flow, etc. You can compare them in a general sense of how well-thought out things were. Just because they're two different shows doesn't mean they can't be compared. Obviously the witty dialogue from The Wire isn't expected in Walking Dead. But there are things that are totally lacking in this show that shouldn't be.

I keep hearing that it's a show about survival. It should be a show about survival. They've turned it into a show about zombies. They spend more energy making a zombie head and figuring out how they're going to smash it rather than figuring out how to bring Carol back in a not-ridiculous way.

I compare them in terms of attention to detail, storytelling, subtleties, natural flow, etc. You can compare them in a general sense of how well-thought out things were. Just because they're two different shows doesn't mean they can't be compared. Obviously the witty dialogue from The Wire isn't expected in Walking Dead. But there are things that are totally lacking in this show that shouldn't be.

I keep hearing that it's a show about survival. It should be a show about survival. They've turned it into a show about zombies. They spend more energy making a zombie head and figuring out how they're going to smash it rather than figuring out how to bring Carol back in a not-ridiculous way.

I agree with the bolded. Technical aspects of the show can be compared.

I disagree though that its become show about zombies. At times, zombies will be the group's main focus — especially now that they are swarming and the group is divided — but the show has done a good job of balancing zombies with the other aspects of survival. As far as Carol goes, it was really the only way to bring her back. Rick informed the rest of the group of his decision before the fallout at the prison.

http://www.wetpaint.com/walking-dead/articles/2013-12-05-season-4-when-carol-coming-back

Episode 10’s director, Tricia Brock, said that installment will feature four different storylines and "some of the oddest couplings of groups you've seen" on the show, so Carol could very well encounter some of her onetime allies during that hour. It would certainly be interesting to have her run into Tyreese, since he still doesn’t know that she was responsible for killing Karen, but we’ll just have to wait a few months to see how everything plays out.

It was really the only way her return could make sense. Her story was logical; she returned to the prison in its aftermath and followed them from afar. Michonne tracked Rick and Carl, Daryl and Beth attempted to track some of the others as well.