• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

BlackBerry/RIM Continue Downward Trend; Laying Off 2,000 Workers

Phil

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2011/07/25/blackberrys-rim-laying-off-2000.html

Research in Motion will lay off 2,000 workers worldwide, the company announced Monday morning. The company did not say where the layoffs would be concentrated or how Triangle-based RIM facilities would be impacted.

The company (NASDAQ: RIMM) made an expansion this year to occupy 78,000 square feet of space in three buildings in Cary and in Durham, according to a March 29 securities filing.

Nielsen numbers later in April, however, showed that RIM?s Blackberry trailed smartphones that use Google Inc. ?s (Nasdaq:GOOG) Android operating system and the Apple (Nasdaq:AAPL) iPhone.

RIM said the layoffs were part of its ?cost optimization program,? which is ?focused on eliminating redundancies and reallocating resources to focus on areas that offer the highest growth opportunities and alignment with RIM?s strategic objectives.?

Blackberry doesn't really have an identity right now. Is it for the young 20-year olds that want to be social using BBM, facebook and twitter? Or is it a business phone focused at mid-aged executives and managers?

Maybe this downward spiral is what Gary Bettman saw in RIM and another reason why he didn't want Balsillie to get the Yotes ;)

I have to say, many phones have gotten that 20 year old social bug... the iPhone now is being bought by 15 year olds who have no time on their hands to do chores or find a job, because they're playing games on their iphone.. I'm 20, have an android phone and my girlfriend all she wants to do is play games on it... she wants an iphone. :( all she wants to do is play games on it. Time for a change! Jk.

IMO, the Blackberry phone is easily the worst phone I've ever owned. The Razr was better.

I actually loved mine while I had them (curve, tour/bold) My only gripe was the processor. Would clog up and lag all the time. Other than that it handles emails, sms, mms etc like a champ. The keyboard is fantastic and I find myself missing it on occasion, but just can't let go of my Incredible. RIM's new phones are coming out with specs they should have had last year. They are behind and lacking innovation with their products. Sad, as I wish they would come out with something that would really compete against the current smartphone giants, Apple iOS and Android.

sounds like theyre unveiling a new phone tomorrow. Quote from their facebook page

Hey Team BlackBerry, what's shiny, new and social all over? We want to tell you all about it. Can you guess what it might be? Tune in tomorrow for details!

I wonder how out of date the specs are going to be...

edit: Crackberry.com says it'll be a bunch of devices with OS 7. I will lol if they dont give a release date with the phones, because it would be so unsurprising.

whoops no new phones, just an announcement for one of the worst contests/promotions I have ever seen. You have to tweet a reason why blackberry is good or something. If they pick you you get to go to Toronto where you get your choice of a new OS 7 device. However you have to find your own way to get to Toronto and you dont actually get the device until it goes on sale, and no one seems to know when that will be.

whoops no new phones, just an announcement for one of the worst contests/promotions I have ever seen. You have to tweet a reason why blackberry is good or something. If they pick you you get to go to Toronto where you get your choice of a new OS 7 device. However you have to find your own way to get to Toronto and you dont actually get the device until it goes on sale, and no one seems to know when that will be.

:palm: they don't know wtf they're doing at this point.

This article that one of the crackberry guys wrote is starting to make more and more sense to me.

http://crackberry.com/10-reasons-why-google-will-buy-research-motion

BB's are ANCIENT tech, they are the netbook of smartphones, they do the simplest of functions and they do it reliably and at a low cost of data.

but they are destined for failure.

Waterloo ontario is NOT the place to keep the HQ for a major tech competitor ...

When a major free agent dev is contemplating his choices and hes got the Luxury of Apple in the valley , Googles fun in the sun... or Waterloos industrial building 2hr drive to a major town ...

at equal pay, where do you think hes going?

Archived