• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Expected to Sign [D] Patrik Nemeth in Free Agency

The marriage cannot be consummated until the market officially opens at noon on Wednesday, but The Post has learned that the Rangers are expected to fortify their defense by signing 29-year-old Swedish free agent Patrik Nemeth once the bell rings.

Nemeth, who went to the Avalanche from the Red Wings as a rental in the days prior to the trade deadline, is another one of those hard-to-play-against guys whom general manager Chris Drury has targeted since taking command on May 5.

The deal would likely be for two or three years, worth between $2.25-$2.75 million per season. The Avalanche have given permission to Nemeth to speak to other teams in advance of the opening of the market.

A veteran of 366 NHL games, the 6-foot-3, 228-pound Nemeth is a big-bodied lefty who plays a simple, stabilizing game, is strong is in own end and will protect the front of the net. He can be a nasty one, blocks shots, has a good stick, can make the first pass and not coincidentally at all, should be a stabilizing influence on his projected third-pair partner and fellow Swede, Nils Lundkvist.

Link: https://nypost.com/2021/07/26/rangers-expected-to-sign-patrik-nemeth-in-nhl-free-agency/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Has ideal NHL size for a blueliner (6'3", 228 pounds) and the ability to play a sound shutdown role at the highest level. Also moves the puck smoothly out of danger. His physical game lacks consistency, so he could stand to become a little more assertive in the NHL. Does not have a ton of offensive creativity in his game.

http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/player/7763

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit, I guessed that in the rep bet??

...on my way to buy me some lotto tix!!!!

Edit...I saw a lot of this Nemeth when I watched Colorado towards the end of this year...(being a MacKinnon fan boy). Solid player...Seemed to really play tough in front of the net. Has a nasty streak in him, and is a pretty fundamentally sound defenseman, in my estimation.

• Like 2

Just a sound defenseman. He will never ever wow any of us. But, he will be a stabilizing presence for a rookie like Lundkvist to play with.

For a team that struggled on the defensive side of things last season in their own zone that’s exactly what they need.

For the right price that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems fine by me but isn't he basically a copy of Brendan Smith? Or is Smith pricing himself too high?

Bigger. Better. Cheaper. He'll probably be the worst of the bunch and I'm sure he'll get hate - someone on d always does - but for a 6th and a mentor for Lundkvist, he's a good pick up.

Bigger. Better. Cheaper. He'll probably be the worst of the bunch and I'm sure he'll get hate - someone on d always does - but for a 6th and a mentor for Lundkvist, he's a good pick up.

Nah we still have trouba.

I hope so because he’s been pretty underwhelming otherwise

He came into his own a little bit more this season. His pairing started to struggle more as Miller faced rookie struggles. Hopefully, Miller progresses and finds the early steadiness he displayed. I think Trouba will be encouraged to show the tenacity we saw from him in the bubble and on occasion throughout the season. He's the type of defenseman that Gallant covets.

He came into his own a little bit more this season. His pairing started to struggle more as Miller faced rookie struggles. Hopefully, Miller progresses and finds the early steadiness he displayed. I think Trouba will be encouraged to show the tenacity we saw from him in the bubble and on occasion throughout the season. He's the type of defenseman that Gallant covets.

I don’t wanna get into it too much because this isn’t a trouba thread, but I’ve said it on here before plenty of times, I don’t like him. Defensively he doesn’t move the needle for me and physically he chooses his spots very poorly. I hope he changes my mind this season. Still the whipping boy for me until he does lol

If cheaper then fine. Smith, for all his shortcomings, was very versatile for us. His last year impressed me a bit. Not saying I’d prefer Smith, but I don’t see this as too much of a difference, even from a 7th d perspective that will probably play a lot more due to injury.