• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Carp: Expect Rangers to Target Blake Coleman

Phil

The Rangers should groom their own Coleman for later. They need it now though. That's the timeline that Panarin/Zib have established. Now. Not dicking around waiting for 19 yo Cuylle.

Yep. Maybe Barron can eventually do what Goodrow or Coleman does and in that case they can trade the older, more expensive player. But for right now, another season of no playoffs will be an absolute waste of time and money so might as well buy what we need. Again, it's a friggin 3.6 million dollar deal for Goodrow. It's not a problem now and it won't be a problem later compared to Panarin, Trouba, and Kreider.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get a true leader and you’ll see everyone playing like Coleman, but with better offense.

Kakko and Lafreniere will have that side of their game. Miller plays like he’s 6’5, Schneider coming through, Trouba playing like his contract, Kreider plays like he can, you have a 4th line that isn’t DiGipetto, etc.

You get a true leader and you’ll see everyone playing like Coleman, but with better offense.

Kakko and Lafreniere will have that side of their game. Miller plays like he’s 6’5, Schneider coming through, Trouba playing like his contract, Kreider plays like he can, you have a 4th line that isn’t DiGipetto, etc.

Wait...who's "Shayna"? :rofl:

oh, and thank god you spelled it like that...my sack was getting itchy again! ...and I'm out of powder in the office!!!

I'm not really advocating for Coleman. I think Coleman AND Goodrow is a bit much, but I'm certainly not against someone LIKE Coleman coming in. And I partly agree with what you're saying - I think Gallant will have a huge impact on this team - but, there's a reason teams covet those kinds of players: they don't grow on trees. Not everyone can play like Coleman or Goodrow, even if they try really hard. If they could, Tampa would have saved themselves two 1sts and made Palat do those things. Kreider has been here and played with a myriad of great leaders and yet he still still doesn't have that game in him.

What I do agree with 100% is the 4th line fix. They need actual players down there. Losing Howden is a plus but I'm not convinced Rooney is the answer (although he's better than Howden). But, again, we're gonna have to PAY to get a player better than DiGuiseppi. Fans don't seem to understand that. Islander's 4th line, the best in the game, costs $8.3 million against the cap. Ranger's trash 4th line last year, by comparison, cost less than $3m.

And there's idiot bloggers out there who scream from the rooftops, "you don't pay for depth." Actually, yes, you do. Or else you're just the Toronto Maple Leafs who haven't won a series in 17 years.

Yep. Maybe Barron can eventually do what Goodrow or Coleman does and in that case they can trade the older, more expensive player. But for right now, another season of no playoffs will be an absolute waste of time and money so might as well buy what we need. Again, it's a friggin 3.6 million dollar deal for Goodrow. It's not a problem now and it won't be a problem later compared to Panarin, Trouba, and Kreider.

Yeah - I think this is the real deal.

The Rangers have the hard part right. They have the top end talent everywhere - Panarin, Lafreniere, Kakko, Fox, Miller, Zib, hell, even Chytil and Strome and Buch (assuming none of them get moved). They have the right mid-level talent on the backend. They need to balance it out with the workhorses down low.

The trap is becoming Edmonton or Toronto, where they can't seem to figure out the mix. If you get Kreider, Coleman and Goodrow as your bottom six culture guys/lead by example guys - your top 6 is better for it and your bottom 6 gets built right.

I know the cap is an issue. I think 8M between Goodrow and Coleman is a lot. I don't know if I'm saying that if it gives the elite talent the room to be truly elite while still on extremely reasonable deals.

I'm not really advocating for Coleman. I think Coleman AND Goodrow is a bit much, but I'm certainly not against someone LIKE Coleman coming in. And I partly agree with what you're saying - I think Gallant will have a huge impact on this team - but, there's a reason teams covet those kinds of players: they don't grow on trees. Not everyone can play like Coleman or Goodrow, even if they try really hard. If they could, Tampa would have saved themselves two 1sts and made Palat do those things. Kreider has been here and played with a myriad of great leaders and yet he still still doesn't have that game in him.

What I do agree with 100% is the 4th line fix. They need actual players down there. Losing Howden is a plus but I'm not convinced Rooney is the answer (although he's better than Howden). But, again, we're gonna have to PAY to get a player better than DiGuiseppi. Fans don't seem to understand that. Islander's 4th line, the best in the game, costs $8.3 million against the cap. Ranger's trash 4th line last year, by comparison, cost less than $3m.

And there's idiot bloggers out there who scream from the rooftops, "you don't pay for depth." Actually, yes, you do. Or else you're just the Toronto Maple Leafs who haven't won a series in 17 years.

The 4th line needs to become a LINE, and not a bunch of players who who didn't make it into the top 9, which is what it's been Quinn's entire tenure.

The 4th line needs to become a LINE, and not a bunch of players who who didn't make it into the top 9, which is what it's been Quinn's entire tenure.

Right it's not a place to "punish" players either. It should be 3 guys who know their role, who aren't one mistake away from playing in the AHL.

• Like 1

Right it's not a place to "punish" players either. It should be 3 guys who know their role, who aren't one mistake away from playing in the AHL.

Boom. I think that Gallant will make the best of this roster and we will see a team identity grow in the first half of the year which Quinn couldn't cultivate in his entire tenure here.

Yeah - I think this is the real deal.

The Rangers have the hard part right. They have the top end talent everywhere - Panarin, Lafreniere, Kakko, Fox, Miller, Zib, hell, even Chytil and Strome and Buch (assuming none of them get moved). They have the right mid-level talent on the backend. They need to balance it out with the workhorses down low.

The trap is becoming Edmonton or Toronto, where they can't seem to figure out the mix. If you get Kreider, Coleman and Goodrow as your bottom six culture guys/lead by example guys - your top 6 is better for it and your bottom 6 gets built right.

I know the cap is an issue. I think 8M between Goodrow and Coleman is a lot. I don't know if I'm saying that if it gives the elite talent the room to be truly elite while still on extremely reasonable deals.

This is really the crux of it re: top end talent. I think the Rangers have about as much talent as the Lightning up top. They have to fix the rest of the forward group, which is supposed to be the easier part. We struggled to find the right guys to be our high end players in the 2010s. We had a lot of great depth and solid players, but no real superstars. I don't know how often I thought "if we just had that one star who could lift us up, make our PP not be so shitty, etc"...how many playoff games and series were lost because our PP was absolute shit? Now we have two star forwards, potentially a couple of more being groomed, at least an above average PP even with meh deployments. Don't waste it. That doesn't mean throw caution to the wind, but don't worry about the cap in 3 years yet. There's ways to get around it, even if it costs you a few draft picks to do it.

Fucking FACTS.

Is that supposed to be 6m per year for 5 years or 5m per year for 6 years? Everyone does it their own way.

Either way....woof. He's a good player, but woof.

Not sure, probably $5 million x 6 years, but this, regardless.

I like Blake Coleman just fine. He's plenty good. That's just a price tag that makes me second-guess things.

Given Drury's recent comments about liking the wing depth we have, I don't think we are serious players. With that said, Coleman plays a heavy game and has scored 20 goals ~40 points for 3 years in a row, and his play doesn't dip in the playoffs. He'll probably be worth his contract.

I don't see how trading Strome for draft picks and using Chytil as the 2nd line center improves the team at all.

I still don't see how Chytil fits on the team at all to be honest.

Chytil should be a winger at this level.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk