• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Brett Howden to 1-Year/$885K Extension

Yes they are, and both cheaper in cap hit and in salary.

I realize I could be reading too much into it. Seattle probably isn't going to make a decision based on a few hundred k in salary paid if Howden didn't make the team, but it's still a bit of a "if you want him, you'll at least need to pay something for taking him" from the Rangers. In this case, it's guaranteed salary, and more salary than the other options.

Well, the Rangers really dont have a lot to offer in the expansion. And you cant fit everyone on the NHL roster. So, you never know what they might think.

Howden is a RFA at the end of the contract, other 2 arent.

Well, the Rangers really dont have a lot to offer in the expansion. And you cant fit everyone on the NHL roster. So, you never know what they might think.

Howden is a RFA at the end of the contract, other 2 arent.

The Rangers expansion selection will almost assuredly be a 13th/depth style player unless it's Blackwell or DeAngelo. We really did nicely prepping for this.

The Rangers expansion selection will almost assuredly be a 13th/depth style player unless it's Blackwell or DeAngelo. We really did nicely prepping for this.

Nicely prepared or failed development? I wish we had issues losing 1st picks like Howden or Gauthier, even Hajek. Add DeAngelo, too

Nicely prepared or failed development? I wish we had issues losing 1st picks like Howden or Gauthier, even Hajek. Add DeAngelo, too

Every organization fails to develop players.

Most teams would kill to have an outlook of:

*Developed: Kreider, Buchnevich, Fox, Lingdren, & Shesterkin

*Developing: Kravtsov, Kaako, Lafrenaire, Chytil, Miller, Georgiev, and Jones

*Probably not going to develop: Howden, Gauthier, & Hajek

*Not developed: Andresson and McIlrath

Every organization fails to develop players.

Most teams would kill to have an outlook of:

*Developed: Kreider, Buchnevich, Fox, Lingdren, & Shesterkin

*Developing: Kravtsov, Kaako, Lafrenaire, Chytil, Miller, Georgiev, and Jones

*Probably not going to develop: Howden, Gauthier, & Hajek

*Not developed: Andresson and McIlrath

Fox & Lindgren didnt really get developed in our system

We took a flyer on other team's draft busts. They remained busts. I don't see how you could possibly spin that negatively.

We took a flyer on other team's draft busts. They remained busts. I don't see how you could possibly spin that negatively.

deangelo really for your panties in a bunch today, Pete2.0

Every mention, lol

Yeah, poor development. Exactly.

They don’t need to be rangers draft picks to develop. Playing 2 games with the crunch and then going back to junior hockey isn’t TB development.

They were all development stages when they got to NY

The Rangers developed ADA on the ice. Completely different player from when he got here... But they couldn't mature him off the ice so I'm sure the DEL is in his future.

I meant more of the others, probably shouldnt have included him (although its still failed development)

Hajek came at 20 with 8 games in AHL, then went back to junior hockey the next season, and traded to NY.

Howden had 5 games in the AHL, went back to the WHL the next season, then traded when he was 19.

Gauthier had no NHL experience.

I wouldnt classify this as "nicely prepping for" the expansion draft. 2 years ago, there were worries about losing a decent player. Now - no one cares who goes. It's irrelevant.

I’ve said for a bit, I’m curious to see what he does this season. Still a lot of potential and the tools necessary to fill holes on this roster. (Serious)

I was really high on Howden until this past season. He really fell off the map. At least the year prior we would see flashes of true potential offensively with his instincts and ability to get to the front of the net.

But man was he hard to watch this past season.

Clean slate forvall though. I'm down to see what some players can do under a different coach. Including DeAngelo.

I was really high on Howden until this past season. He really fell off the map. At least the year prior we would see flashes of true potential offensively with his instincts and ability to get to the front of the net.

But man was he hard to watch this past season.

Clean slate forvall though. I'm down to see what some players can do under a different coach. Including DeAngelo.

I've mentioned a lot the last few years, that you can see guys out there thinking, and not playing. Howden got caught up in that last season. When players think on the ice, they are so far behind, so slow. At the NHL level, you need to play on instinct, and he didnt have that last season.

I'm hoping getting closer to 'normal' life will really help the young kids. From daily routines, to offseason workouts, to pre-camp shit... the last year plus has been a mess with COVID, and I think it's been an issue for the younger kids especially.

I don't think the issue is that players are thinking.

The quick thinking smart players were successful under Quinn. The ones who were indecisive and confused, and not so much. It's not that they're thinking, it's that they're overthinking the 2-3 choices they have with the puck and can't decide.

I'd put Howden in that category. Same issue for Spooner. Low hockey IQ, and Spooner is not even in the league, so that's saying something.

If he has low hockey IQ how could he be such a scorer in junior? Was it a Ryan Gropp situation where he wingmanned a better player? He has the potential but I agree it's like you said. Not everybody can translate that success to the big leagues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't think the issue is that players are thinking.

The quick thinking smart players were successful under Quinn. The ones who were indecisive and confused, and not so much. It's not that they're thinking, it's that they're overthinking the 2-3 choices they have with the puck and can't decide.

I'd put Howden in that category. Same issue for Spooner. Low hockey IQ, and Spooner is not even in the league, so that's saying something.

Quinn's not in th league, that's saying something

It's that the players are thinking because they were being told do something against the hockey instincts they developed for 20 years.

Howden didn't have the issue until his spot in the lineup was at stake.

If he has low hockey IQ how could he be such a scorer in junior? Was it a Ryan Gropp situation where he wingmanned a better player? He has the potential but I agree it's like you said. Not everybody can translate that success to the big leagues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

His Jr. scoring needs to be adjusted for playing in the WHL, the PCL of the CHL.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk