• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Jackets Could Battle Over Gallant

Phil

Yeah man, I don't think we're gonna see any fire here until the playoffs are over. Lots of smoke and a lot of rumors, but no fire, bubba....we'll get there...

....and I hope it's Brind'amour!!

Oh I think I said that already!! :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New York Rangers

Rangers owner James Dolan believes his team is in a position to win now. That's part of the reason president John Davidson, GM Jeff Gorton, and Quinn were all fired. The Blueshirts seemed to be progressing in the right direction after declaring a rebuild just three years ago, but ownership clearly had visions of success sooner.

Given Dolan's eagerness, hiring someone with NHL head coaching experience seems like a given - especially since his last hire, Quinn, came from the college ranks.

Early indications back this theory up as well, as the organization has already interviewed veterans Gallant and Tocchet. GM Chris Drury has no prior connection to either coach, so it's unclear if either one of them may have the upper hand. It's also possible the New York club could interview other retreads like Babcock or Boudreau. A reunion with Tortorella seems unlikely, though.

Gallant should be a hot commodity after the fantastic job he did with the Vegas Golden Knights. Despite not getting a job last offseason, he may end up having his pick of the litter. If that's the case, it's hard to find a more desirable job than the Rangers, given all of their young talent.

Prediction: Gerard Gallant

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2173909/predicting-hires-for-each-nhl-head-coaching-vacancy

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yes, please. I don't think Tocchet is a bad coach, but I just get vibes that he won't be a great fit here. Isn't he also more defensive minded? I fear that could hold our offensive players back some.

Yes, please. I don't think Tocchet is a bad coach, but I just get vibes that he won't be a great fit here. Isn't he also more defensive minded? I fear that could hold our offensive players back some.

He wasn't particularly defensive minded as a player, and the Cup winners he played for were anything but defensive minded. With what he's had for a roster, defensive minded is the only option.

Brian Boyle just captained the US team to the bronze….

Go get em slats! Eerr … drury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how bad is the team had to be to have Boyle captain it? But Galant's team beat them 4-2. :rolleyes: Bring in Gallant!! Bring in the glory!!

sorry Keith

A roster led by the likes of Adam Henrique, Connor Brown, Troy Stecher, Maxime Comtois, tournament MVP Andrew Mangiapane and golden goal hero Nick Paul didn’t put the fear in God into anyone before this event began. A roster that began the tournament with three consecutive losses, prompting Gallant to have a chat with the group.

“We talked one day after practice,’’ Gallant said. “We said, ‘We know we’re better than this.’ We basically had to run the table and a lot of things had to happen and they did.

“We got better every game.’’

Canada won six of its last seven games, got a lot of help from other team results to qualify for the quarterfinals, and then never looked back.

Nothing short of improbable.

“When they posted our roster, I remember the comments,’’ Comtois told Andrew Podnieks of IIHF.com. “People weren’t giving us a chance. People were unhappy with the decision Hockey Canada made with the roster. And we proved everybody wrong. We had some adversity throughout the tournament. We really played good hockey down the stretch when it counted, and at the end of the day we have a gold medal.”

Team Canada became the first team in the history of the IIHF event to win gold after posting four losses, knocking off Russia, the U.S. and Finland in the medal round to win it all.

“It was a special group,’’ said Gallant. “Character guys that came together. A lot of guys didn’t want to come this year with COVID and everything, and we understood this. But the guys that came really came together and made a name for themselves. They really became a team.’’

And they played for their coach.

“One of the best coaches at getting the guys to buy in and play hard for him,’’ Team Canada GM Roberto Luongo said via text message from Latvia on Sunday night.

“Great players’ coach. Very easy going.’’

https://theathletic.com/2636695/2021/06/07/lebrun-gerard-gallant-led-canada-to-an-unlikely-gold-medal-at-the-world-championships-so-how-long-until-he-returns-to-the-nhl/