• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Carp: Rangers Midseason Review

LindG1000

Maybe, but I can't recall any particular set up he authored that was blown.

I can recall a few he was set up on tbe he blew, though.

I can’t either. ALF just looks a bit pedestrian for the most part and seems more along for the ride of his shift rather than directing the play.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping for Alfredsson and Marian Hossa... I guess. And I hate those guys. damn it.

I mean...you could do a fuckton worse than a pair of 1000 point scorers, one of whom is one of the best two way forwards to ever play the game.

I'd take that.

I’m not. You brought up his age, which I corrected to be actually 19, same age yet a bit older than Stutzle. I don’t think it matters all that much either way but I’m not sure why you wouldn’t just say 19 since he never played an NHL game until after he turned 19.
Because, for like the 7th time, I was talking about the end of his last junior season and the off-season leading up to his NHL debut. At that time, like every other top pick, he was 18. That time period is pretty important for kids making the jump from junior to the NHL.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Because, for like the 7th time, I was talking about the end of his last junior season and the off-season leading up to his NHL debut. At that time, like every other top pick, he was 18. That time period is pretty important for kids making the jump from junior to the NHL.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Of course but I guess it was less important to the younger draft pick from Germany.....

Of course but I guess it was less important to the younger draft pick from Germany.....
Stutzle had been playing against men in a league with former NHLers. Laf was out physicaling teenagers. So Stutzle had a better first 30 games. Its not the end of the world.

Also, according to Dunny, Laf was locked in his room and had to text Trudeau to ask permission to walk down the hall and take a dump. Stutzle didn't have that issue with Merkel.

Stutzle had been playing against men in a league with former NHLers. Laf was out physicaling teenagers. So Stutzle had a better first 30 games. Its not the end of the world.

Also, according to Dunny, Laf was locked in his room and had to text Trudeau to ask permission to walk down the hall and take a dump. Stutzle didn't have that issue with Merkel.

The German elite league. Really? Might as well be a no checking league it’s about the 6th or so ranked league behind KHL, SEL, Liiga, Czechs and possibly even Swiss but I’d put Germany in front right now. And ok. Stutzle is playing better because he could take a shit with more freedom. They both performed almost identical in world juniors.

Any other excuse we want to use ? Of course it’s not the end of the world but there isn’t anything wrong with just showing what it is. Laf has been fairly pedestrian thus far. If there are 45 reasons then so be it, but it doesn’t change the outcome.

The German elite league. Really? Might as well be a no checking league it’s about the 6th or so ranked league behind KHL, SEL, Liiga, Czechs and possibly even Swiss but I’d put Germany in front right now. And ok. Stutzle is playing better because he could take a shit with more freedom. They both performed almost identical in world juniors.

Any other excuse we want to use ? Of course it’s not the end of the world but there isn’t anything wrong with just showing what it is. Laf has been fairly pedestrian thus far. If there are 45 reasons then so be it, but it doesn’t change the outcome.

A) Yes, Stutzle played in a league where the players were older and more physically mature than the Q. Is that debatable?

B) The poop freedom was obviously a joke.

C) I'm not making excuses. I'm providing context for why not to overreact to 30 games.

A) Yes, Stutzle played in a league where the players were older and more physically mature than the Q. Is that debatable?

B) The poop freedom was obviously a joke.

C) I'm not making excuses. I'm providing context for why not to overreact to 30 games.

1. Nope not debateable. Just irrelevant to the conversation since it’s such a middling league with zero physicality. It’s equivalent to the Q in my mind. It’s just an older version for has been s and never were players. They both were on the same echelon world junior wise in terms of production and dominance. One just plays less pedestrian now. No one is overreacting, but it’s a conversation to be had. It’s the whole point of a message board honestly. To discuss.

I've been disappointed in Lafrenieres effort level. He coasts and seems completely indecisive more times then not. Remembering how Rangers fans were so stoked to get our great #1 pick and now it's like meh. I admittedly lack the patience that should be given, especially in this crazy moment of time.

I think one of the main issues with both Lafreniere and Kakko is that they aren't great - or good for that matter - skaters. It's possible to become a good, even great, NHL player without blazing speed - but it makes it a lot harder. And it means you have to do everything else exceptionally well. That type of player is going to take longer for their talent to translate in the NHL than your Stutzles and Hughes, who already have high end NHL caliber speed and edgework. Pronman said the other day he underestimated the impact of Lafreniere's lack of skating ability in terms of NHL readiness in his evaluation. I think the same was true for Kakko, and you're definitely seeing some progress with him in year 2 in terms of him keeping up with the speed of the game (let's keep production out of it for the sake of this argument).

It's obviously incredibly tough to lean on your hands, hockey IQ and ability to see the ice as a 19 year old when you're playing against veteran pros who have seen it all. It's going to take time and probably a lot more of it than we thought.

I think one of the main issues with both Lafreniere and Kakko is that they aren't great - or good for that matter - skaters. It's possible to become a good, even great, NHL player without blazing speed - but it makes it a lot harder. And it means you have to do everything else exceptionally well. That type of player is going to take longer for their talent to translate in the NHL than your Stutzles and Hughes, who already have high end NHL caliber speed and edgework. Pronman said the other day he underestimated the impact of Lafreniere's lack of skating ability in terms of NHL readiness in his evaluation. I think the same was true for Kakko, and you're definitely seeing some progress with him in year 2 in terms of him keeping up with the speed of the game (let's keep production out of it for the sake of this argument).

It's obviously incredibly tough to lean on your hands, hockey IQ and ability to see the ice as a 19 year old when you're playing against veteran pros who have seen it all. It's going to take time and probably a lot more of it than we thought.

Honestly, skating will help, but Kakko and Lafreniere's issues are not lack of speed or lack of space. It's lack of confidence, and bluntly, lack of time to work it out. Being in this many close games this often with as top-heavy of a lineup as we have and the stubborn insistence on this four-righty powerplay has considerably impacted their scoring and their ability to "just play through it", in a way that a Tim Stutzle or a Gabe Vilardi just can.

Kakko needs to go to PP1 over Kreider at this point. That unit just needs something different, and Kakko should be about ready to blow the doors off. Truly, he looks dangerous out there and the numbers back it up - just get him one or two and let him throw the monkey off his back.

In Laf's case, he looks a little overwhelmed by the pace of the game and his lack of execution has made him jittery.

Honestly, skating will help, but Kakko and Lafreniere's issues are not lack of speed or lack of space. It's lack of confidence, and bluntly, lack of time to work it out. Being in this many close games this often with as top-heavy of a lineup as we have and the stubborn insistence on this four-righty powerplay has considerably impacted their scoring and their ability to "just play through it", in a way that a Tim Stutzle or a Gabe Vilardi just can.

Kakko needs to go to PP1 over Kreider at this point. That unit just needs something different, and Kakko should be about ready to blow the doors off. Truly, he looks dangerous out there and the numbers back it up - just get him one or two and let him throw the monkey off his back.

In Laf's case, he looks a little overwhelmed by the pace of the game and his lack of execution has made him jittery.

I agree those are also concerns, and agree with your points - but I disagree that skating/speed isn't a huge issue for Lafreniere this season, and Kakko last. Lafreniere plays like a guy who knows he doesn't have the footspeed to get out of anything at the NHL level. He'll never be a blazing straight line skater, but he can add explosiveness to his first step like Kakko has. I think it has helped Kakko tremendously this season, even if it doesn't show in the box stats. And I think a similar jump would help unlock Laf. From Pronman

To start his rookie season, Lafreni?re has had good moments but also moments where the way he plays hasn’t translated well to the top level. The foundations of his game is his tremendous skill and hockey sense, and those elements have only really been on display briefly. Scouts around the league point to his skating as an issue at the NHL level, and I tend to agree.

When I dived into Lafreni?re’s game last season, his skating was my main concern. I still gave it an NHL average grade but with hesitation, and it sits somewhere between that and below-average from what I’ve seen at the top level, leaning toward below-average.

While Lafreni?re has been a secondary offensive player so far for the Rangers, it’s worth noting he was not just a pretty skilled forward in junior. He was a game breaker with his skill. If you watch his QMJHL games, you would be amazed by how consistently he created chances and made defenders look foolish. This is a guy who I completely believe has top line/top power-play half-wall skill and playmaking ability.

I like that idea, G Man. Kakko does look a ton better out there this season, and even though I think he's around -3 or something for the year, he's been light years better defensively...matter of fact he's caused a lot of turnovers lately for the opposition. Kakko just has to shoot the damn thing. That shit frustrates the shit outta me. He's got an open shot in front and he's trying to deke the pants off everything....Fuck it!! Shoot it, kid!!!

Laffy reminds me a lot of Kakko from last season. He'll get it at his own pace I think, and yeah...I think Gravy has a good point with the fact that he'll take some time to get it, but when he does, he's gonna be a madman.

I like that idea, G Man. Kakko does look a ton better out there this season, and even though I think he's around -3 or something for the year, he's been light years better defensively...matter of fact he's caused a lot of turnovers lately for the opposition. Kakko just has to shoot the damn thing. That shit frustrates the shit outta me. He's got an open shot in front and he's trying to deke the pants off everything....Fuck it!! Shoot it, kid!!!

Laffy reminds me a lot of Kakko from last season. He'll get it at his own pace I think, and yeah...I think Gravy has a good point with the fact that he'll take some time to get it, but when he does, he's gonna be a madman.

Crazy as it may sound, I think Kakko leads the league in takeaways.

Edit - no, but his differential is really high.

I think he's second or third in the league in that category. But, yeah, get him some PP time. The management, or should I say mismanagement of the PP this year has been mind numbing. Quinn changes lines during the game like it's going out of style, but no, let's keep the same miserable PP units out there.

Crazy as it may sound, I think Kakko leads the league in takeaways.

Edit - no, but his differential is really high.

I really have enjoyed his progress this year...albeit he's not scoring. I think he's going to be a fantastic player, I just wish he'd get the puck to the net and stop being so "friendly".

Be greedy for a while and score a few! ...at least get the rebounds and assists going that way, I say!

In the scenario of pulling Kreider off the PP for Kakko are we giving up on attempting to screen the goalie/tipping point shots altogether? Just curious who would be that guy in this scenario. I don't see Kakko as nearly being physical enough. But then again I also don't see him as a guy just waiting to explode offensively when he's done so very little to date. Would be great if it's true. I think a main issue with the pp is they're dedication to continually over pass the puck while passing up the opportunity to shoot it. Pretty sure that's been Kakko's MO I guess we're assuming that would just change.

Any pp with Panarin on it should not be this bad at 14.7% damn near last in the league so clearly there's something fundamentally wrong.