• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Carp: Rangers Midseason Review

LindG1000

It kills me that he covers the Rangers for the Athletic. Like really? He’s the best they could find? :palm:

Nope. Just had a big following. They wanted Brooks, and he said no, so they took Carp instead because he was the next biggest established name still working the beat.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Just had a big following. They wanted Brooks, and he said no, so they took Carp instead because he was the next biggest established name still working the beat.

That's funny. Neither guy seems to capture what the Athletic is trying to do. They've got a specific vibe.

I think Buchnevich and DeAngelo are the 2 best examples for players Quinn developed. He put them in a position to be successful, and I've given credit to him for it in the past. (but its also frustrating that it took so long, and the same thing is happening to the next set of prospects)

But, (maybe not his fault) again, he was supposed to be this kid whisperer... these guys are in their mid 20s. 1 is gone, and we're about to be to the point where Buch will be gone (because they are still rebuilding because no one else progressed)

But..

Chytil has progressed, sucks he got hurt.

Kakko has progressed, sucks he's been in and out of COVID protocol. The points will come if he keeps playing like he has been.

Laf is still a teenager and 28 games into his pro career.

Gauthier has progressed as well, it's on him to stop taking bad penalties at bad times.

But..

Chytil has progressed, sucks he got hurt.

Kakko has progressed, sucks he's been in and out of COVID protocol. The points will come if he keeps playing like he has been.

Laf is still a teenager and 28 games into his pro career.

Gauthier has progressed as well, it's on him to stop taking bad penalties at bad times.

Literally all of these guys have been disappointing, with the exception of Chytil in 5 games this season.

Disappointing is related to your expectations.

Progressed means they are better this year than last year.

I don't think your points are without merit but this is not the metric for success in developing the two biggest prospects in Rangers history. Getting better each season is not good enough. Cornerstone franchise pieces is what these must become or it's an absolute failure. Neither has shown even a glimpse of that potential. Yes they are young and there is a long way to go but Quinn is not grading well in terms of developing anything.

Playerds get better just by aging and playing games. Not one player has shown significant growth under Quinn where he made a difference. Exceptions are like Josh said Buch and TDA. TDA he didn't get through to apparently and Buch seems to be the exception to the rule that Quinn is failing.

How long do you give him until you pull the trigger. Year 3 of Kakko and year 2 of Laf? No way he should get past the midway point next year if neither of those guys aren't team cornerstones. I don't care what the record is.

Yeah, hoping your franchise-level players start to make a measurable impact when their ELCs expire isn't exactly brilliant asset management/prospect growth.

Ideally, they start earlier, but let's be real - most of these sorts of players get drafted onto significantly worse teams than ours is and don't move the needle in the greater scheme until their ELCs are up.

Ideally, they start earlier, but let's be real - most of these sorts of players get drafted onto significantly worse teams than ours is and don't move the needle in the greater scheme until their ELCs are up.

First- and second-overall picks? Literally wrong. Not even disagreement. Objectively wrong. Most tend to be players by their sophomore years. Look at the D+1 and D+2 seasons for Hall/Seguin, RNH/Lando, Yakupov/Murray, MacKinnon/Barkov, Ekblad/Reinhart, McDavid/Eichel, Matthews/Laine, Hischier/Patrick, Dahlin/Svechnikov.

It's a star-studded cast, by and large, with a handful of players you can count on one hand who flamed out quickly. Yakupov doesn't even make that list.

First- and second-overall picks? Literally wrong. Not even disagreement. Objectively wrong. Most tend to be players by their sophomore years. Look at the D+1 and D+2 seasons for Hall/Seguin, RNH/Lando, Yakupov/Murray, MacKinnon/Barkov, Ekblad/Reinhart, McDavid/Eichel, Matthews/Laine, Hischier/Patrick, Dahlin/Svechnikov.

It's a star-studded cast, by and large, with a handful of players you can count on one hand who flamed out quickly. Yakupov doesn't even make that list.

You have to wonder if they change the coaching to get the most out of their young stars, or if they really wonder if the kids aren't going to cut it. Lafreniere and Kakko by and large are the two worst players on your list in terms of rookie season/second season performance.

They need a regime under a coach with a better (or any) offensive system before they can be labeled flops. Though I wonder if it's possibe to look up/does anyone remember the linemates those players had when they entered the league? Sure, McDavid and Matthews are world beaters but guys like RNH, Barkov, and Reinhart took some time. Laf and Kakko relying on each other instead of more experienced veterans as linemates might have something to do with it.

They need a regime under a coach with a better (or any) offensive system before they can be labeled flops. Though I wonder if it's possibe to look up/does anyone remember the linemates those players had when they entered the league? Sure, McDavid and Matthews are world beaters but guys like RNH, Barkov, and Reinhart took some time. Laf and Kakko relying on each other instead of more experienced veterans as linemates might have something to do with it.

I'm not labeling them flops. I'm saying they've flopped in the NHL thus far. Again, go do the basic legwork on that list I provided. Almost all of those players taken first- or second-overall were impact players by their sophomore season. The majority of 1OAs were impact players immediately. Even Yakupov put up 17 goals in his first year.

Which is insane. The same team, in back-to-back drafts, taking highly-touted offensive dynamos who fucking flop offensively in the NHL? Unheard of.

The funny thing is, for the last 2 seasons #1 and #2 overalls...

Hughes and Kakko have similar stats through their career, so far...

Laffy sucks and Byfield is back in junior.

Maybe just a bad crop of years LOL.

You have to put young kids in a spot to be successful. It's vital to development.

RNH (was shit on) and played with Eberle, then rotating or Smyth/Hall/Hemsky/Gagner

fuck, even Huberdeau put up 31 in 40 games his first season, I thought he sucked. Looked at that roster, there was no one good. Fleishmann & Kopecky?

But again, these guys drew #1 defensive pairs. They were the focus of game plans. Teams were trying to shut down those guys. Kakko and Lafreneire do not get that same attention from opponents.

Lafreniere might be the most hyped prospects since Mathews? We started seeing this kid 4 years ago - before we ever heard of Dahlin or Svechnikov. Kakko wasnt much less.

Hughes has 16 points. Kakko has 4.

Lafreniere might be the most hyped prospects since Mathews? We started seeing this kid 4 years ago - before we ever heard of Dahlin or Svechnikov. Kakko wasnt much less.

Hughes has 16 points. Kakko has 4.

Said career.

Hughes 37 pts in 88 games, -26

KK 27 in 87, -29

Also, sarcasm.

Would be crazy. When's the last time that happened over multiple drafts?

Kakko has 4 points in 21 games. FOUR. Averaging a full minute more a game than last year and being the 6th highest TOI per game for all forwards on the team. Gauthier has 2 goals and 6 points. I guess that’s progression from 0? How about Howden. Has he progressed? He sucks even more if that’s possible. Laf has 8 points and was a 1OA also considered to be not just NHl ready, but NHL “impactful” from the jump. Not McDavid but still. I’m guessing he wasn’t expected to be matching Gauthier in production.

Literally, this is pretty close to the worst ever production from a 1st and 2nd overall picks in consecutive years in their early nhl careers.

Would be crazy. When's the last time that happened over multiple drafts?

2017 & 2018 when the Rangers took Andersson (11 pts) and then Kravtsov (0 pts)

Islanders with Reinhardt/Dal Colle - but those guys were like 4th and 6th overall picks

2017 & 2018 when the Rangers took Andersson (11 pts) and then Kravtsov (0 pts)

Islanders with Reinhardt/Dal Colle - but those guys were like 4th and 6th overall picks

No, I meant literal first- and second-overall picks going in back-to-back years all busting.

Hischier/Patrick, Dahlin/Svechnikov is the closest, I guess?