• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Igor Shesterkin is Day-to-Day with Mild Groin Strain

Phil

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Groins with goaltenders can be tricky, but who knows with this guy. Just keep giving Kinkaid the majority of the starts until he's ready. There's absolutely no need to rush.

Exactly my thoughts too, Sharpy. No need to put any extra chance into injuring him further for when we're really going to need him down the road. We know Shesty is our man, and the rest of the way I feel like Kinkaid will do an admirable job. I have my doubts with Georgiev, but now's the time to figure out the backup situation.

I dont read american newspapers, but I saw the headline from a Brooks article where he said «Clock is ticking for Rangers’ Igor Shesterkin to prove he’s the heir apparant»

How dumb is this guy really? The guy has 27 NHL games and has looked good. Wtf?

Or was it just the worst click-bait article of all time?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I dont read american newspapers, but I saw the headline from a Brooks article where he said «Clock is ticking for Rangers’ Igor Shesterkin to prove he’s the heir apparant»

How dumb is this guy really? The guy has 27 NHL games and has looked good. Wtf?

Or was it just the worst click-bait article of all time?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Has to get a column out.

Yup pretty much this. Just trying to get eyeballs on his article, typical Larry.

The kid has a grand total of 25 NHL starts. An obviously small sample size to make any conclusions about his durability, starter abilities (despite his flashes of brilliance). He's just another developing player on this roster like many others.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/25/clock-ticking-for-rangers-igor-shesterkin-plans/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

That's the article in question here, since we're all jumping on the "hot takes" bandwagon here.

Brooks isn't wrong. Shesterkin is 25. He has a contract negotiation coming up this offseason. The Rangers are flush with good goalie prospects. The goalie market itself is oversaturated. Shesterkin has the potential to be special - let's see it.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/25/clock-ticking-for-rangers-igor-shesterkin-plans/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

That's the article in question here, since we're all jumping on the "hot takes" bandwagon here.

Brooks isn't wrong. Shesterkin is 25. He has a contract negotiation coming up this offseason. The Rangers are flush with good goalie prospects. The goalie market itself is oversaturated. Shesterkin has the potential to be special - let's see it.

Let's see it?

Since he made his NHL debut on 1/7/2020 he is 4th in the league in SV%.

This season he had a slow start with 3 less than stellar games. Since then he's 3rd in the league with a .931 SV% and 5th with 2.09 GAA. He has a poor record because he got no goal support from the team in from of him.

The attitude around Shesterkin is almost Kafkaesque.

And no, the Rangers aren't flush with goalie prospects. They actually don't have any outside the kid they drafted from the CHL last year. Georgiev sucks. Huska sucks. Wall might suck. Lindbom hasn't stopped a puck in three years.

imo with only 25 starts over 2 seasons I would say it's too early to say what he's going to be long term. He's been hurt both seasons as well which isn't great (I'm not counting the car accident) I'm counting the bubble and the groin explosion. As for the rest of the goalies in the system, I'm with you the quantity maybe there but that's it imo at this point in time.

"The clock is ticking" infers that he has been here for a while and hasn't performed as expected yet. It's too early in his NHL career to say the clock is ticking, and looking at the stats makes it even less of a relevant thing to say because his stats are upper echelon.

The attitude around Shesterkin is almost Kafkaesque.

And no, the Rangers aren't flush with goalie prospects. They actually don't have any outside the kid they drafted from the CHL last year. Georgiev sucks. Huska sucks. Wall might suck. Lindbom hasn't stopped a puck in three years.

Right. Shesterkin is BY FAR the best goalie the Rangers have. The fact that it was even a debate to start the season was a joke. He's not likely to be Henrik Lundqvist but that doesn't mean anything. The clock is not ticking - and actually the less he proves right now, the better (for the Rangers cap space).

If Igor doesn't get the vast majority of games to end the season it'll have been an incredible oversight by the Rangers. The other goalies on the team have proven that they need Igor desperately.

Everybody has been telling me you can't start a goalie 60 times anymore, anyways.

I think the worst thing they could do is lock in to one goalie like they did with Hank. They need a Robin to Shesterkin's Batman. Who is that? Georgiev? If there's question marks around Shesterkin then there has to be Spanish Inquisitions around Georgiev.

It would be nice if they could luck in to another guy like they've found in the past. Raanta. Talbot. Even a Weekes type.

What is this implying? He's old? Hank was 24 in his rookie year where he split time with Weekes. His injury is a blessing for the Rangers wallet.

And if the goalie market is oversaturated, who else would you'd like to be the starter on this team? Freddy Andersson?

Everybody has been telling me you can't start a goalie 60 times anymore, anyways.

I think the worst thing they could do is lock in to one goalie like they did with Hank. They need a Robin to Shesterkin's Batman. Who is that? Georgiev? If there's question marks around Shesterkin then there has to be Spanish Inquisitions around Georgiev.

It would be nice if they could luck in to another guy like they've found in the past. Raanta. Talbot. Even a Weekes type.

Kinkaid?