• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Igor Shesterkin is Day-to-Day with Mild Groin Strain

Phil

What is this implying? He's old? Hank was 24 in his rookie year where he split time with Weekes. His injury is a blessing for the Rangers wallet.

And if the goalie market is oversaturated, who else would you'd like to be the starter on this team? Freddy Andersson?

Yes, his limited body of work may end up being the best case scenario when it's time to get paid. This could still work out fantastically.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The clock is ticking" infers that he has been here for a while and hasn't performed as expected yet. It's too early in his NHL career to say the clock is ticking, and looking at the stats makes it even less of a relevant thing to say because his stats are upper echelon.

It's poor phrasing, but he's not exactly wrong to be saying that these are some big games for Shesterkin to prove out his value and his durability - at least the latter of which are concerns.

The rest of you - relax - we all want Shesterkin to succeed, and it's fair to point out that his start here has been quite inconsistent even if it isn't his fault.

It's poor phrasing, but he's not exactly wrong to be saying that these are some big games for Shesterkin to prove out his value and his durability - at least the latter of which are concerns.

The rest of you - relax - we all want Shesterkin to succeed, and it's fair to point out that his start here has been quite inconsistent even if it isn't his fault.

Its been inconsistent because of the situation (Long breaks cause of Covid, freak car accident injury, the team being inconsistent as a whole, DQ for some reason splitting the starts in the beginning of the season), not because of his play. As LLTK said, his stats has been among the best in league.

Im still very confident in Igor. He'll be a top 5/10 goalie in the league for many years.

I agree with you. “Let’s see it” simply means let’s see it over a long time. He’s started 26 career nhl games, only 13 this year. Let’s see him be the undeniable, game in and game out starter. Really take the reigns. Has to stay healthy even if one injury was a fluke accident.

Everybody has been telling me you can't start a goalie 60 times anymore, anyways.

I think the worst thing they could do is lock in to one goalie like they did with Hank. They need a Robin to Shesterkin's Batman. Who is that? Georgiev? If there's question marks around Shesterkin then there has to be Spanish Inquisitions around Georgiev.

It would be nice if they could luck in to another guy like they've found in the past. Raanta. Talbot. Even a Weekes type.

Agree. Goaltending is not a strength of this team. Shesterkin so far and can't stay healthy.

I've really never seen a fan base so enamored with the promise of what a player could be vs what they are, today.

I don't have a ton of faith in Shesterkin. As a durable long term rock in the net.

Let's see it?

Since he made his NHL debut on 1/7/2020 he is 4th in the league in SV%.

This season he had a slow start with 3 less than stellar games. Since then he's 3rd in the league with a .931 SV% and 5th with 2.09 GAA. He has a poor record because he got no goal support from the team in from of him.

This reads as...If we removed the games where he sucked or was hurt, he's pretty good.

Not a ringing endorsement.

At this point, I hope they don't commit to Shesterkin for longer than 2, or 3 years at the most in his next contract. Kid has a lot of potential but I'm still not sold on him being a consistent 1A/1B, let alone an undisputed starter.

Agree. Goaltending is not a strength of this team. Shesterkin so far and can't stay healthy.

I've really never seen a fan base so enamored with the promise of what a player could be vs what they are, today.

I don't have a ton of faith in Shesterkin. As a durable long term rock in the net.

I dont know where you got this from.

If you've watched him over the last years in KHL/AHL/NHL he's been amazing. Probably had like 4-5 bad games the last 3 years and his stats are crazy good in all 3 leagues he's played in.

What exactly do you expect from him?

I dont know where you got this from.

If you've watched him over the last years in KHL/AHL/NHL he's been amazing. Probably had like 4-5 bad games the last 3 years and his stats are crazy good in all 3 leagues he's played in.

What exactly do you expect from him?

What do you mean where I got this? From the fan base.

In the KHL he was sheltered. In the AHL he was stellar. In the NHL he's played 26 Games and has been hurt and average.

Yet you've all anointed him the chosen one. He's not that, today.

What do you mean where I got this? From the fan base.

In the KHL he was sheltered. In the AHL he was stellar. In the NHL he's played 26 Games and has been hurt and average.

Yet you've all anointed him the chosen one. He's not that, today.

Its not about "what he could be", he's already a really good goalie. He's proven it everywhere he's been, and will do it in the NHL aswell (arguably he's already doing it).

Average in the NHL so far? Thats just wrong.

"How do we know what a good save percentage is? The rule of thumb is that you would like to have a goalie’s save percentage to be 0.915% or higher. The NHL league average for save percentage is 0.910" https://hockeyanswered.com/what-is-a-good-save-percentage-in-hockey/

Igor has a .927% in the NHL so far, playing on a below average team with a bad defense (especially last year).

Its not about "what he could be", he's already a really good goalie. He's proven it everywhere he's been, and will do it in the NHL aswell (arguably he's already doing it).

Average in the NHL so far? Thats just wrong.

"How do we know what a good save percentage is? The rule of thumb is that you would like to have a goalie’s save percentage to be 0.915% or higher. The NHL league average for save percentage is 0.910" https://hockeyanswered.com/what-is-a-good-save-percentage-in-hockey/

Igor has a .927% in the NHL so far, playing on a below average team with a bad defense (especially last year).

He's played 26 games. He's proven nothing. There have been goalies who have had a season's worth of solid performances and you've never heard from them again. Jim Carrey. Andrew Raycroft.

Look at Carter Hart FFS.

Sorry but I am not sold on Igor at all without a solid partner.

It’s nice to finally have a goalie that can control the puck

He was very good tonight, Vodka. I have a lot of faith in him...He's gonna be OUR GUY doing forward.

Who was the last Rangers goalie that could really handle the puck well? Vanbiesbrouck?

I don't think we've ever had a goalie that can do what Shesty can do with the puck, Sharpy. He's like a 3rd defenseman out there!

I think he handles the puck better than Beezer or anyone else we have ever had. Eddie was the best handler of his era, but that was before puck handling by goalies really got revolutionized.

I liked Sheshy's look tonight. When he's sharp he swallows up pucks, and he did that. The Rangers played 35 minutes of ragged hockey and Philly, to it's credit, made a real push after falling hopelessly behind, so this was no easy game for Sheshty.

For sure. Beezer was solid, but Shesterkin is next level with that, and it's great to have. The Rangers defense is already stacked for the future, now you add a goaltender who can really handle the puck to the mix. That's only going to help their defense (and defensemen) even more. He's fun to watch when he wants to dish it. The Rangers were very lax for over half the game as Sod said, but at least they had a big lead and Shesterkin was able to get in a lot of work with tough saves with the game basically out of reach. So, it was good to get work in like that and he looked good. Coming off the groin, I was watching to see how his mobility would be, if he'd be a bit ginger trying to be careful, but nothing. Also being 25 helps. lol

He's played 26 games. He's proven nothing. There have been goalies who have had a season's worth of solid performances and you've never heard from them again. Jim Carrey. Andrew Raycroft.

Look at Carter Hart FFS.

Hart did not play 3+ seasons in the KHL nor did he put up good numbers in the AHL. He had a good run of games to start his NHL career, Shesterkin has been a stud goalie the last 4 years playing professional hockey.

I dont know how a goalie can be sheltered, but look up his KHL numbers compared to anyone in that league and they're elite. Same with his AHL numbers and so far the same can be said about his NHL numbers.

He's been a stud everywhere he's played hockey, and although its a small sample size for his NHL career, he looks just as good as he has his entire career. I dont see why that would all of a sudden change.

Look at Carter Hart FFS.

I'm actually pretty good with Shesty, Pete....I just would like to see him more resilient to injury.

I think if Kinkaid makes it through the expansion draft, and stays with the Rangers, he would be a pretty solid and cost effective backup. He has solid NHL experience and can command a decent amount of confidence from the team playing in front of him.

Georgiev is the odd man out in my mind. I have very little confidence in him, and I really haven't seen anything this season to make me think he can be anything more than a fair NHL backup, at best.

Hart did not play 3+ seasons in the KHL nor did he put up good numbers in the AHL. He had a good run of games to start his NHL career, Shesterkin has been a stud goalie the last 4 years playing professional hockey.

I dont know how a goalie can be sheltered, but look up his KHL numbers compared to anyone in that league and they're elite. Same with his AHL numbers and so far the same can be said about his NHL numbers.

He's been a stud everywhere he's played hockey, and although its a small sample size for his NHL career, he looks just as good as he has his entire career. I dont see why that would all of a sudden change.

If you don't know how a goalie could be sheltered? How about workload management, how about playing him against certain opponents? I'm not suggesting that he was played against weak opponents, but his workload was certainly managed.

None of what you posted change the fact that he's played 26 games. As I said, there are plenty of goalies who flamed out in the NHL after having success in other leagues.

They don't hand out Vezinas for what you did in the KHL.